1 reply to this topic

#1 Stuart Grant

Stuart Grant
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

The computer is a Dell Inspiron desktop with windows XP with SP3.
This morning when I switched on I got the following message

Bootit EMBR 2.01
Bootit EMBR 2.04
EMBRM LOAD: EMBR is missing or is an unsupported version!
System halted!

History is that I came across. this group some months ago and had the idea that i might try to boot to either XP, Linux or DOS. I downloaded Winbuilder and a few other files but after a week or two decided this was all a bit beyond me but i did, without really knowing how got a Boot Menu which appeared at Startup with the choices XP or Dell utilities. If I pressed return I got XP. this worked fine except that on two occasions when the computer froze up and i had to switch off, I got this same message above when I switchrd on again. If tried again after a few minutes, then it booted normally with the usual menu.

But today nothing works the system is halted.

Can anyone help ?

Stuart

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1,288 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

The computer is a Dell Inspiron desktop with windows XP with SP3.
This morning when I switched on I got the following message

Bootit EMBR 2.01
Bootit EMBR 2.04
EMBRM LOAD: EMBR is missing or is an unsupported version!
System halted!

History is that I came across. this group some months ago and had the idea that i might try to boot to either XP, Linux or DOS. I downloaded Winbuilder and a few other files but after a week or two decided this was all a bit beyond me but i did, without really knowing how got a Boot Menu which appeared at Startup with the choices XP or Dell utilities. If I pressed return I got XP. this worked fine except that on two occasions when the computer froze up and i had to switch off, I got this same message above when I switchrd on again. If tried again after a few minutes, then it booted normally with the usual menu.

But today nothing works the system is halted.

Can anyone help ?

Stuart

this is my GUESS...somehow, when you were playing around before, you chenged somehow the bootflags so that more than just the main XP partition was available - Dell always creates a few partitions, and uses them to hold the diags and a recovery partition.

As for specific help, - not much I can offer (especially if all the booting and partitioning etc. stuff here is "beyond" your current ability - I'm sure with time you could learn it, and if so, then MAYBE using some sort of disk recovery tools, and/or booting from a PE to "fix" the HD might be possible...

Do you have any really geeky friends that can help you? If so - that is your best bet! With the right tools, assuming the disk isn't trashed, you can probably recover.

Best of luck!
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users