ludovici

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 610 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hello everybody :cheers:
I search to had the theme aero transparency in my WinPe.
I known than Dera can have this feature, but i don't known how...
Dera can you make a little script for this feature, please ?

I research also how to have time service running in my winpe...
http://reboot.pro/14...post__p__129503
Anybody has test this script, the service start ?

Same question for media center (I known than Vvurat, Kullenen ask can have this feature in her Win7PE)
What files, registry to add ?
Thanks,

#2 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

I research also how to have time service running in my winpe...
http://reboot.pro/14...post__p__129503
Anybody has test this script, the service start ?

Hi Ludovici,

No, the script here, puts just the right registry values according to the registry values of the HostOS, to have the good time but it does not start the service.
I saw that Dera had transparency, but I was not able to reproduce it.

:D

#3 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:29 AM

Hi

Maybe i was not clear - enough
i have transparency only in that case if i switch user and logon as Administrator,
transparency doesn't work neither for me when i logged in as System.

Furthermore when i logon as Administrator i am not able to install drivers at all,
and i am not able to use desktop wallpaper i can use only solid colors,
plus seems many things do not work with Administrator what works fine with System,
furthermore once i logged on as Administrator i am not able to logon as System once again.

So it is not so cool to logon as Administrator - can say pretty useless.

@ChrisR

but I was not able to reproduce it

i don't understand why you cannot reproduce it

my steps:

• 1. i build your Win7PE_SE
    the only change i have made that i disable the original 'Control Panel Display & Aero' script
    (Tweaks\Display.script)
    and use my Display2.script instead,

i don't use the 'Tweaks\ShutdownPE.script' but use the 'Reboot and shudown shortcut' script,

and in 'Shell\1 - Explorer Shell' script the checkbox 'Enable ShutDown Button (x86 only)' is unchecked

Attached File  win7pe_se_settings.jpg   66.57KB   21 downloads
  • 2. after the PE booted successfully (automatically logged on as System) i load the vga driver
    (it is mandatory for transparency)
  • 3. then go to 'Start Menu' > 'Shut down' > 'Switch user' > then select 'Administrator'

Regards,
dera

p.s.
in my newer test i have success with nvidia '266.58_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_english_whql' driver version, too
in "Build\2 - Shell & Config" script (\Projects\Win7PE_SE\Build\2-Config.script) i increase the "FBWF cache size" (minimum to 256MB or higher e.g. to 512MB)
i extract the installer .exe, i use the files from the 'Display.Driver' folder only
i use the 'Driver Integration' script
after the PE booted up have to 'update driver' of vga via device manager

#4 ludovici

ludovici

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 610 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Dera for all your explanation :w00t:
I have discover a other WinPe project (Based on Windows 8), who have the aero feature
Here: Win8PE Aero
Why aero is active in Administrator mode and not in System mode ? Hard question :cheers: :whistling: :frusty:

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Why aero is active in Administrator mode and not in System mode ? Hard question :confused1: :cheers: :frusty:

My guess is, that it has something to do with logging in after the graphics driver was sucessfully installed.

More curious to me is, that a bunch of things stop working in Administrator account.
From what i've seen, there is no user hive in the Administrator account, so Windows should create one, by copying the Default hive over. Ergo same functionality. :confused1:

:cheers:

#6 ludovici

ludovici

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 610 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hello Medevil :cheers:

Yes; Windows create the administrator user hive, when we log in Admin Account.
I don't think than it copy the Default hive over, for me it's a other hive (Admin hive); i'm not sure... :confused1:
Maybe, we can capture the registry, files add; when windows create admin user hive ? but how ?

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

An old trick from XP is, to set up the Default account with settings, you want all users to have on that machine and only then, create the real user accounts.

This way, all newly created accounts automaticly enherited those settings.

Maybe things work differently in Win7. :cheers:

:confused1:

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

Thanks to deras fine description, i finally managed to get the user swtching working too.

Found a few interesting things after switching to the admin account.
- USB Plug and Play works perfectly
- Installing of drivers fails, because of missing permissions
- Administrator account is not properly created. no hive, no folderstructure <-- That's wierd.
- changes do get broadcasted through the whole system, so alot (maybe all) changes are immediately available
- Taskbar preview does work, just like the switching to a classic theme, when an app is started that does not support transparency
- sidebar can not be used, because settings.ini is supposedly in use (even when sidebar is not running in system account :cheers:)
- Startmenu Classic, which is used in system account, is not used in admin account. Not even when i copy User\Default to User\Administrator before switching.

Aany ideas how to easily give the Admin account the exact same rights as the system account, to run some more tests?

:confused1:

#9 exograpix

exograpix
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

I require remote desktop script with autorun and where i can put predefined setting for autologon. thanks and advanced.

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Problems in Admin account seem to boil down to, it simply not being set up properly.
Sidebar won't start because: Error message: settings.ini is in use by another application.

Deleted and recreated every settings.ini in the system. So there is definitly no lock on any settings.ini.
Still error message stays the same.
Created a settings.ini in the Administrator account folder. Also no use.

Chcked all permissions for admin account. Registry and folders and fixed where not identical to system.
Still driver installation does not work.

#11 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

Despite seemingly logging in as Administrator. We're not really doing that. :frusty:
We're still somehow stuck in the Default account. Username even still reads as "System"
After switching to 'administrator', open a 'command prompt', type 'set' and have a look at the mess yourself.

We have now 2 users, running basicly of the same account. I would have been very surprised, if that wouldn't have caused problems.

The good news is, that we now have proof that transparency is indeed possible in the system account.

We would just need to find a way, to eighter load the graphics driver before loggin into the system account or to make it known to the system that DirectX is now available.
Easiest would be to log out and back in. Unfortunately it isn't possible to log out of the system account, besides a restart.

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hi,hi,hi Dera you're a :whistling: !
With your Display.script, USB Hotplug works almost perfectly, right from the start in system account.

Only autoplay, starts only working with the second Stick or the first one reinserted.

The default Display.script prevents USB-Hotplug from properly working! Who would have thought that! :frusty:

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:05 PM

Sorry Dera, but i have to withdraw the :magic:. :(
Your Display scripts adds 40MB of wim size, worth of files.
With such a huge number of additional files, something is bound to start working properly.

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

With such a huge number of additional files, something is bound to start working properly.

Solution from abundance/redundancy? :w00t: :cheers:

Spoiler

Nice :magic:, but not ideally suited for a portable system... :(

Wonko

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

In Deras defense, i have to say, that you might have the wrong impression.
Deras script does not only serve to set the theme, but is also what makes user switching possible in the first place.

Besides, that big size and portable system do not explude eachother is best proven by the success of the Vista and Win7 based PE.

:(

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

In Deras defense, i have to say, that you might have the wrong impression.
Deras script does not only serve to set the theme, but is also what makes user switching possible in the first place.

Besides, that big size and portable system do not explude eachother is best proven by the success of the Vista and Win7 based PE.

Sure :magic:, I was just joking :cheers:, and IMNSHO you should give back to dera the :magic: you withdrew :w00t:.

(and more generally make up your mind, you cannot give and take back :magic: like this)

Now that you have the whatever working, you may try removing *something* to see if it is actually needed or not :(, maybe all the 40 Mb are actually needed...

Wonko

#17 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

maybe all the 40 Mb are actually needed...

In case that turns out to be true, i was entertaining the idea of giving Dera his :cheers: back.
But you've convinced me. No more :magic: for Dera! :w00t:

#18 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:00 AM

Hi

I think that additional 40MB mainly caused by these script lines:
DirMake,"%target_win%\Web"

FileCopy,"%InstallSRC%\Windows\Web\*.*","%target_win%\Web"
(i.e. adding wallpapers)

Regards,
dera

#19 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

So,
Sorry for this!

since i just thought to prove 'Personalization > Windows Desktop Backgrounds'

Attached File  thumbs.jpg   37.72KB   12 downloads

thumbnails do work (as System).

Regards,
dera

#20 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

I think that additional 40MB mainly caused by these script lines:
(i.e. adding wallpapers)

Will try a build with those lines commented out.

#21 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

@dera
Yes it was the wallpapers. Didn't thought, they woud be so big and compress so poorly.

Maybe an option in the script, like "Add default Wallpapers: yes/no" wouldn't be such a bad idea.

@all
Does anyone know, if the dark blue theme in the default Win7PE_SE Display.script is capable of transparency?
Created a hybrid from the default Display.script and Deras Display2.script. Didn't get transparency after switching.

#22 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

@dera
Yes it was the wallpapers. Didn't thought, they woud be so big and compress so poorly.

Comeon, be nice now :cheers:, give his :w00t: back to dera.... :(

:magic:
Wonko

#23 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

Actually, Dera deserves 2 :).
His script enables Win7PESE to:
- switch Wallpapers, even when the default Wallpapers are not installed
- switch users (somewhat)
- let USB-Hotplug work better than before (almost perfect)

All this, while reducing the wim size by 122kb.

By the powers vested in me, i bestow upon you, Dera, :magic: :magic:!

So, back to business. :(

USB-Hotplug, works now pretty flawlessly. With a few minor problems left.

No explorer open.
- Connecting a USB-Stick the first time after boot, will cause a explorer window to pop open, without any previos dialog. Only later connects will cause proper operations.
- USB-Stick is properly displayed in Hotplug menu

Explorer already open, no file of known file type in root of Stick
- Connecting a USB-Stick the first time after boot, will cause the explorer window to not refesh and not properly display the USB-Stick. Also the Hotplug menu does not display the Stick.
- Any later connects will cause proper operations.

Explorer already open, file of known file type in root of Stick
- Connecting a USB-Stick the first time after boot, will cause the explorer window to refesh and properly display the USB-Stick. Also Hotplug menu displays the Stick properly.
- Only slight problem, Autostart dialogs open behind the open explorer window, on the first connect. Only later ones have them open in the forground, like it should be.

;)

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

By the powers vested in me, i bestow upon you, Dera, :magic: :magic:!

Hmm :( you missed last update at the :magic: assigners convention.

The :magic: :magic: has been replaced by :magic: x2.

Back to business ;) :

Semi-random idea :):

Explorer already open, no file of known file type in root of Stick
- Connecting a USB-Stick the first time after boot, will cause the explorer window to not refesh and not properly display the USB-Stick. Also the Hotplug menu does not display the Stick.
- Any later connects will cause proper operations.

Explorer already open, file of known file type in root of Stick
- Connecting a USB-Stick the first time after boot, will cause the explorer window to refesh and properly display the USB-Stick. Also Hotplug menu displays the Stick properly.
- Only slight problem, Autostart dialogs open behind the open explorer window, on the first connect. Only later ones have them open in the forground, like it should be.

Could it be somehow connected with file association?
Like a missing association with objects "*", "drive", "folder" and/or "file"?
Like:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\file
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

Would Wassociate (partially) work on a PE 3.x (or are there updated similar tools)?:
http://wstudios.home...l.nl/Associate/

:magic:
Wonko

#25 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

I have no answer at the moment, on how to fix this.

The problem is, i do not understand, what the problem is.

Like i wrote, on second connect of the same - or any other Stick, things work flawlessly.
At the same time, there are no changes made to the registry, like the ones you suggested.

Also capturing any registry changes and merging them into a freshly booted system, before connecting a Stick, will not help things to work properly.

Just as curious is the accidental discovery, that a USB-Stcik without known files, will still open an explorer window, properly displaying the Stick and cause also proper display in the Hotplug menu, if explore wasn't used before.
Where is the difference between an explorer window not being opened before and one being already open, in regards to the Hotplug menu?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users