Photo
- - - - -

Help! Drivers for hard drives won't load.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fireballmonkey

fireballmonkey
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:50 PM

So I just finished customizing my LiveXP build, but I have a major problem. When I boot into LiveXP, no local hard drives show up in My Computer.

Looking in device manager, all the drives show up, but with the yellow exclamation icon. In the device's properties, under "Device status", the following message shows up:
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

When I try to reinstall the driver, it fails with the following message:
"An error occurred during the installation of the device. A service installation section in this INF is invalid."

Since I know you'll ask, I'll let you know right now: this happens on virtual machines and real machines, on all internal hard drives, PATA and SATA alike. So don't tell me it's a missing SATA controller driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. There is no point to having a PE disc if you have no access to local drives.

Thanks in advance.

#2 fireballmonkey

fireballmonkey
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

OK, I figured it out. At least for virtual machines.

The problem was two-fold. Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Shut off LiveXP/Finish/Optimizations/autoCompress. What seemed to be happening was the compression of disk.sys was screwing it up, and Windows couldn't figure out what to do with it. The autoCompress feature didn't really save much space anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to turn it off. This got rid of the error message. Unfortunately, a different one replaced it.

2. Go to LiveXP/Drivers/Other/"Add/Remove UpperFilters". Either shut it off completely, or delete everything from the "PE registry" text boxes. This got rid of the new error message, and ZOMG the drives show up now!!!!111!!!

Number 2 isn't completely necessary, but if you don't do it, you'll have to manually turn the filters off and reload the drivers every time you boot LiveXP.

Unfortunately, doing this does pretty much require a full rebuild, but it's definitely worth the extra wait.

Now I'm going to burn a copy and test it on a real machine. I'll report back with the results.

Edited by fireballmonkey, 04 July 2011 - 02:47 AM.

#3 fireballmonkey

fireballmonkey
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:41 AM

Confirmed. The above fixes work on real machines as well as virtual machines.

Even though I answered my own question, hopefully this thread will help someone else!

Edited by fireballmonkey, 04 July 2011 - 04:44 AM.

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:34 AM

Thank you very much, we do appreciate the self-service.

Though I don't know why either of those scripts were selected to begin with, glad you got it all worked out.

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users