Work around for USB boot problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 acaden

acaden
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

I have a HP 2533T. I need to install Windows 7 on USB. But, the machine can not boot Windows 7 from a USB flash drive, or a USB hard drive, it just hangs every time immediately after starting. These USB drives boot fine in any other computer. The 2533T can boot from any USB DVD drive just fine, including Windows install DVDs. I even tried using Plop boot manager to boot from CD first, then try to boot from USB. Same thing, hangs immediately.

There is a 1GB internal drive. Somehow, I need to start booting from that, then continue loading the OS from a USB drive. But how?

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7054 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

Have you tried formatting USB drive with RMPrepUSB and using the WinPE[Bootmgr] option + Boot as HDD(2PTN) option?
If that does not work, use the Install grub4dos button and see if you can boot to grub4dos. If you can boot to grub4dos, then type c for the command prompt and then some commands like:

map ( [TAB KEY]
geometry
ls /
map --status
find (hd0,[TAB KEY]
find +1

and report back on what results you get.

#3 acaden

acaden
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

Ok, using RMPrepUSB now I can boot the Windows 7 installer from a FAT32 USB drive. But, it does not work if it is formatted NTFS. Doesn't Windows 7 have to be installed on NTFS? If not how can I install it to FAT32?

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7054 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

What do you mean 'it does not work if it is formatted as NTFS' - do you mean the PC does not boot from an NTFS formatted USB drive with the Win 7 install files on it when formatted using RMPrepUSB Bootmgr+NTFS+Boot as HDD?
It should. But even if it does not (when other PCs do) you can boot from a FAT32 USB drive and install Win7 onto a hard disk.

#5 acaden

acaden
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Yes doing the exact same things with NTFS as with FAT32 does not work. I need to install Windows 7 TO USB (not FROM USB) because there is no internal hard disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users