Photo
- - - - -

error accessing the registry when importing a file?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:computers: (repairing, administration), reading: (technological info), outing: (having a good time), music (electronic, house, instrumental...) and hiking
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hello People,

I'd really be greatful if you could perhaps please give me a hand here.
I'm close, but... not close enough.

Back in my other thread, "crash caused by program booting from image file?" (which I'm still working on), Wonko has given me dependancy walker to use in finding about what files this jaws program which I want to use is dependant on.
:) Thankyou Wonko! ;)

Ok, so I find out the files, copy them to the various places, and... now I'm having a problem with the registry, or so I think.

I have a registry file which is about 1mb in size, and when I try adding it in live XP PE, I get the error of unable to access the registry as it tries to import the registry entries.

I'm not sure if I should delete anything from the file, or keep things as is.
Alternatively, What I have done hoping it would work, but didn't is:
1. Mount the wim file of LiveXP using windows 7.
2. loaded the software hive in regedit and tried to import the file However, it still gives me the error of unable to access the registry.

I'm really close in that, before I got to know about DW, and i'd try running jaws from LiveXP, I'd get an error like:
the application configuration is incorrect, please reinstall the application.
However, when I now enter on the file, no errors appear, nothing, so i'm guessing its just the registry I have to deal with now?

any help would really be appreciated.

Regards,

#2 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:"Booting and Owning".
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:38 AM

Don't load anything in currentcontrolset instead use controlset001 or just leave those entries out for the time being.

Best method I've used here is to divide and conquer.

Divide your .reg file into sections (i.e) HKLM\Software HKLM\Default HKLM\System HKEY_USERS anyway you get the idea.

Add the reg files one at time into running PE. saving System and Default for last, their usually the problem child.

Once you find the reg file responsible you can further divide and conquer, Good Luck

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14622 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

Quick explanation (for The Rookie).
CurrentControlSet actually does NOT exist. :)
On a "normal" XP system there are TWO ControlSets : ControlSet001 and ControlSet002.
At bootup, depending on the contents of key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select a "link" to either of them is created, named CurrentControlSet.

It is a kind of redirection used to have always the same name for the loaded "set", no matter if it is the "main" one (usually ControlSet001) or the "alternate" (usually ControlSet002).

Whenever possible it is better to use the "direct" target, i.e. ControlSet001 instead of the "link".

Besides this, there may be PERMISSION problems on the actual Registry or single hives. (though this is strange in a PE)

The idea of doing things little by little, besides solving possible "timing problems", may help in finding out which specific parts of the imported registry create the problem.

;)
Wonko

#4 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

It's more likely that CurrentControlSet was used. Windows PE, setup etc only have Controlset001.

The sets alternate in general use, and occasionally additional sets are saved and used.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14622 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

It's more likely that CurrentControlSet was used. Windows PE, setup etc only have Controlset001.

The sets alternate in general use, and occasionally additional sets are saved and used.

Sure :), that was a "general" explanation.
Still it is better to import to the "real thing", IMHO.

;)
Wonko

#6 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:computers: (repairing, administration), reading: (technological info), outing: (having a good time), music (electronic, house, instrumental...) and hiking
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hello People,

Thanks for the replies, I have questions hoping for some answers please?

1. Even though the permission problems might be unlikely, how is it possible at all to obtain full permissions to write to the registry?
2. If I wanted to know where a specific entry is causing the file not to be added to the registry, how would I be able to pin-point it?
3. So, am i correct in assuming that, if i came across a registry entry like:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings]
"InstalledDisplayDrivers"=hex(7):46,00,53,00,56,00,49,00,44,00,00,00,00,00
that I should rename or replace occuring entries with:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings]
"InstalledDisplayDrivers"=hex(7):46,00,53,00,56,00,49,00,44,00,00,00,00,00
due to the PE having controlset001 as well as it being direct, and not redirected?
4. I've also noticed installer and uninstaller information in the file, should i leave as is?
5. In this file, I also hear that paths are directed at c:\program files
I assume I must replace it to x:\?

Also, I do agree in splitting the files so that I know which one is causing the problem, however, i'd like to try with the permissions first.

thanks again for all the replies, and I'm sorry for all the questions.

Regards,

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14622 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

1. by setting appropriate permissions on hives (but you are right these problems are unlikely in a PE, since you are actually running as "localsystem" in a PE), however you can use Regedit allright in XP and later, or subinacl:
http://www.winhelpon...-in-windows-xp/

...however there are some strange quirks I have seen around, example:
http://www.pcreview....d-t3568399.html

2. that's the tricky business, by splitting in segments you have a better chance of finding which portion is the problem and then you can further split until you have a myriad of .reg files, each with a single registry entry...
3. Yes, this is the correct way, but on the "Source" XP you will find (given that "Select" is set to "1") that EACH and EVERY entry in CurrentControlSet is ALSO, identical in ControlSet001 (actually it is the other way round, the ControlSet001 is the "real thing" and CurrentControlSet is a temporary "link" to it, you can think at them as "an always existing copy" and as "an ONLY existing when system is online - booted - copy)
4. Normally these should NOT be needed.
5. Yes, you need to change paths (or actually create a \Program Files\ directory in the %SystemDrive%), in some cases you can also use "self-expanding" Registry keys, but this may cause problems:
http://www.windowsne...ydatatypes.html

:thumbsup:
Wonko

#8 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 417 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

Just a thought
Since you already have jaws.reg file
convert it to .script using RegCPE
Download RegCPE found here http://galapo.net/ge...php?topic=106.0

Add those converted entries into jaws.script or they can be run from codebox. ( I would suggest Codebox )
Before you run jaws.script make sure you have a complete build in your %TargetDir%
including all files and registry entries, Just run a complete build minus jaws.script
and/or expand your LiveXP.iso to %TargetDir% using 7-zip

This is how it's done for Win7PE, I forget how LiveXP does it.
See Link http://reboot.pro/14...__fromsearch__1
"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" x "C:\Win7PE_SE_2011_02_10\Target\Win7PE_SE\sources\boot.wim" -o"C:\Win7PE_SE_2011_02_10\Target\Win7PE_SE\"
Above line assumes 7-zip is installed into \Program Files\7-zip Directory.

By running jaws.script with all converted registry entries, winbuilder log will be able to tell you
which entries are being overwritten in your build.

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14622 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

Actual link (the one posted by RoyM seems like corrupted :thumbsup: ):
http://galapo.net/ge...php?topic=106.0

:worship:
Wonko

#10 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 417 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for fixing Wonko

#11 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hi,

Thanks Roy and wonko for the information.
:thumbsup:
Ok, so before I was given the info about reg CPE to convert the reg file to a script file, I split the huge file in to:
classes, software and system .
classes, software and most of the system file got in successfully but just a few problems with some entries that couldn't make it through.

I then converted the huge reg file without any splitting in to a script file.
@Roy, you mentioned something about codebox, I have no clue what that is, but I decided to rebuild my LXP project with the script included however, it doesn't seem to add the registry entries to the files for the registry. Instead some files are created outside the project.

However,
I think I'm going to backtrack abit here for the sake of trying to keep things in tact.
I am going to reinstall windows xp,
Install the VBE miniport drivers,
and try to capture things that way.

Since, if I ever get this working, and jaws is very picky with video,
It would make sense to have my video drivers installed and then, when i move to another system, have issues with video drivers since it seems like it somehow ties itself to the video drivers.

Just thought to post what I am thinking .

Regards,

#12 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 417 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

Select Winbuilder\Tools\Enable CodeBox = Checked, then Close Page
Up top next to Script and Source Buttons = CodeBox Button
This is where you paste your test code/script and run.

Make sure when you convert your Registry entries you direct them to Winbuilder hives.

Registry;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Classes\CLSID\

Converted to Script;
RegHiveLoad,WB-Software,%RegSoftware%
RegWrite,HKLM,0x1,"WB-software\Classes\CLSID\

Script will then add entry to HKLM\WB-Soffware\Microsoft\Classes\CLSID\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users