#1 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Portable Run Dialog is an advanced version of the Windows Run Dialog. You can think of it as advanced replacement of the Windows Run dialog. Portable Run Dialog operates in two modes: graphical and a command line mode. The command line mode was created to address some of the limitations that come with the standard Windows command prompt. One of these limitations is running shell commands with spaces in them even if you put quotation marks. For instance the following command won't work from the CLI: "shell:Quick Launch". Portable Run Dialog solves this issue by running it with the /hidden parameter. E.g: run "shell:Quick Launch" /hidden or run /command "shell:Quick Launch" /hidden. This makes it easy to include Portable Run Dialog as part of a shell script to automate tasks. That's the command line side of it. In addition to that, Portable Run Dialog has a graphical mode. You can enter graphical by either clicking on the file or from the command line. If you launch it from the command line and pass it a parameter, for example: "run notepad" Portable Run Dialog will launch with the word notepad in the command field. Portable Run Dialog can remain open after the command is executed if the "Keep the dialog open after I run the command" option is selected. The standard Windows Run Dialog does not have this option and you have to keep selecting Run if you run a lot of shell:commands with spaces. That is only one of the issues that make the Windows Run Dialog suck big time.

There is also an option called "This is a command line utility". When this option is selected, running any command line utility will keep its window open without specifying any extra commands to cmd.exe - it will not close the command prompt window once the program has finished running. Portable Run Dialog also lets you open one or more files my simply dropping files into the dialog but it also comes with a set of (fully dynamic and customizable) shell commands, secret shortcuts as well as a set of links to command line tools you may not know about. I say fully dynamic and customizable because the menu entries are read from a file that can be edited. The file is stored in your AppData location under a folder called PortableRunDialog.

Portable Run Dialog can be downloaded from: http://neobeta.net/portablerundialog

Attached Thumbnails

• cli_parameter.png
  • cli_open.png
  • dragging.png
  • dynamic.png

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15078 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

Possibly a very nice and uselful little app. :)

Though :smiling9: :

How about this, you launch the standard Run dialog and you type "ipconfig" and ipconfig runs but the windows disappears making the concept useless.

Could be:

How about this, you launch the standard Run dialog and you type "cmd.exe /k ipconfig" and ipconfig runs but the windows stays open making the concept useful.

:ermm:

Or:

Save this as do.cmd in \Windows\System32\
@ECHO OFF

%*

PAUSE

How about this, you launch the standard Run dialog and you type "do ipconfig" and ipconfig runs but the windows stays open making the concept useful.

:unsure:

Anyway, nice work! :cheers:

:rofl:
Wonko

#3 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

How about this, you launch the standard Run dialog and you type "cmd.exe /k ipconfig" and ipconfig runs but the windows stays open making the concept useful.

I guess Alpha 1 also applies to that documentation :loleverybody:

Thx I will take that part out.

#4 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

I could not figure out how to get the menus to change. I'm using Windows 2000.

Otherwise, it works well.

It's missing, eg 'Common Administrative Tools'.

A lot of the shell: stuff ye can get from registry. Here's my cdf batch proggie, which does pretty much this. It works under a number of operating systems (2k, xp), and allows you to add your own filders to the mix at reg:hklm\software\wendy\folders . The reg: prefix will open the default 'reg:' handler, either Sysintern's regjump or regmagik.

conset is a utility that imports things into the current environment.

@echo off

:: cd shell folder.

set zdir=

set zshf=Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

set zcmd=chdir

set zhere=%*

if "%1"=="/o" set zcmd=open

if "%1"=="/o" set zhere=%zhere:~3%

conset /q /k zdir=HKLM\%zshf%\%zhere%

if not "%zdir%"=="" goto :doit

conset /q /k zdir=HKCU\%zshf%\%zhere%

conset /q /k zdir=HKLM\Software\Wendy\Folders\%zhere%

if /i "%1"=="/m" goto :hklm

if /i "%1"=="/u" goto :hkcu

if /i "%1"=="/w" goto :hkwe

goto :end

:hklm

shelexec reg:hklm\%zshf%

:hkcu

shelexec reg:hkcu\%zshf%

:hkwe

shelexec reg:hklm\software\wendy\folders

:doit

set zcxm=

if %zcmd%==chdir cd /d %zdir%

if %zcmd%==open shelexec %zdir%

set zdir=

:end

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15078 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

WHICH shelexec is used?

The one in Resource Kit?

The one from here?
http://www.naughter.com/shelexec.html

The one from here?
http://ipl001.free.f...CD-autorun.html
(both should work allright)

Conset? this one?
http://ss64.net/westlake/nt/
http://ss64.net/westlake/nt/conset.zip

regjump:
http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963880

regmagik:
http://regmagik.com/default.htm

:smiling9:
Wonko

#6 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

Shelexec is the microsoft one, as used by them to open html files on cdroms that come with books. I have used the one by Naughter but found it rather large.

Conset is the westlake one.

regjump is the sysinternals one

regmagik is the shareware one.

#7 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

The link is no longer working, can this be corrected?

Thank you.

#8 traumadoc

traumadoc
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:45 AM

The download like is useless, doesn't work, and their is NO EVIDENCE of this application on that site whatsoever. The only thing you can find at that website is the "Advanced Network Configurator." Their forum for the Portable Run Dialog program is empty. Besides, I'd stay away from "Alpha" at this point; unless you can guarantee stability and safety on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users