• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:08 AM

THE GOAL:

Using Winvblock, install XP sp3 into image file on physical (hd0,0), then encrypt said Windows "system partition" with TrueCrypt. So the boot process would be g4d (physical MBR) -> TC bootloader/PBA (image MBR) -> boot into Windows.

The 1GB image file was created using CreateRawImg, mounted with ImDisk and formatted NTFS with compression. BOOTICE was used to add NT5 MBR. XP sp3/programs/Office installation went fine.

THE PROBLEM:

hide (hd0,0)

map --mem /tcdisk.img (hd0)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

Does not work (hangs with blinking cursor), but this does.

hide (hd0,0)

map /tcdisk.img (hd0)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr

So I proceed installing TrueCrypt into the image file installation, where it successfully installs the TC bootloader/PBA (if you open the image file you can see the string "TrueCrypt Boot Loader." Upon reboot, I get g4d (physical MBR) and asks to reboot. At reboot I enter in g4d (physical MBR):

hide (hd0,0)

map /tcdisk.img (hd0)

map --hook

rootnoverify (hd0)

chainloader +1

The TC bootloader/PBA comes up and I enter the correct password. At this point I see the text "Booting..." and then it hangs with a blinking cursor. So I'm guessing TC bootloader/PBA then tries to boot the NT5 PBR where it hangs because it does originally?

Attached are the image TC MBR and image NT5 PBR.

Posted Image
image host

Edited by dickfitzwell, 19 April 2011 - 04:07 AM.

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

what about

hide (hd0,0)
map
/tcdisk.img (hd0)
map
--hook
rootnoverify
(hd0,0)
chainloader
+1

#3 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

Unsuccessful also. I think this would defeat the purpose of the TC PBA anyways as it would boot the partition bootsector (NT5).

#4 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

You encountered an "NT boot sector" problem. The NT boot sector simply does not work for you. It failed to load NTLDR.

You may switch to another "NT boot sector".

Are you sure an NT boot sector can always load NTLDR from an encrypted NTFS partition?

Try installing grub4dos' NTFS volume boot record and let it search NTLDR instead of GRLDR. The grub4dos NTFS boot sector code was written by Bean and it supports NTFS encryption if I remember rightly.

--------------------------------------------
EDIT: Pardon for my carelessness! I really meant "compressed/compression" but I typed "encrypted/encryption" by mistake.

#5 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:24 AM

Not sure if it makes any difference, but at this point the NTFS partition is compressed, not encrypted. The actual file NTLDR is not compressed, however. In any case, using BOOTICE I replaced the NT5 PBR with g4d NTFS PBR instructing it to search for NTLDR. Successfully booted with the "+1" syntax, so that problem seemingly solved.

Until I installed TC and tried to go through it's PBA. TC bootloader is successful, enter the correct password, Windows XP with progress bar logo begins, then it BSOD's, and reboots. The BSOD/reboot is so quick I can't even see what the error code is.

Seemingly now there is an issue with TC and XP sp3 installed into a file via Winvblock.

So one problem solved, not sure how to approach the new one.

#6 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

Until I installed TC and tried to go through it's PBA. TC bootloader is successful, enter the correct password, Windows XP with progress bar logo begins, then it BSOD's, and reboots. The BSOD/reboot is so quick I can't even see what the error code is.

When the TC bootloader starts, it give you the option to hit [ESC] to bypass the PBA instead of entering a password if the boot fails. If do this, XP boots and TC recognizes that it's PBA has failed.

#7 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

...then it BSOD's, and reboots. The BSOD/reboot is so quick I can't even see what the error code is.

Use F8 and choose the Disable automatic restart on system failure option, if that choice is available.

#8 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thanks. It's the 7B error. So the g4d drive mapping is being wiped out somehow?

#9 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

Thanks. It's the 7B error. So the g4d drive mapping is being wiped out somehow?

That's possible, as it's been demonstrated that GRUB4DOS does not protect its INT 0x13 hook against being overwritten. Perhaps their boot-loader wrecks it.

Do you see the WinVBlock: Alive message on the Blue Screen?

You might also consider installing the WaitBt "driver," as it might give you some more information.

#10 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

No, no "WinVBlock: Alive" message on the BSOD.

#11 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

No, no "WinVBlock: Alive" message on the BSOD.

Then you either do not have WinVBlock installed, or you have an older version which doesn't give that message. You can try a newer version and you can try injecting the WaitBt driver to hopefully gain further insight into the nature of the problem.

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

Member Online posted a couple of Truecrypt related tutorials/howto's, cannot say if they could help, here is one:
http://reboot.pro/5315/

Additionally:
http://reboot.pro/8096/

:lol:
Wonko

#13 dickfitzwell

dickfitzwell

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

Then you either do not have WinVBlock installed, or you have an older version which doesn't give that message. You can try a newer version and you can try injecting the WaitBt driver to hopefully gain further insight into the nature of the problem.

Winvblock is installed. See below.

When the TC bootloader starts, it give you the option to hit [ESC] to bypass the PBA instead of entering a password if the boot fails. If do this, XP boots and TC recognizes that it's PBA has failed.

Posted Image
image uploading

BTW, Thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users