• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

Have here a wierd looking TFT screen. After some wondering, it turns out to have a side ratio of 5:4 instead of the common 4:3.
Problem is, manufacturer says, no drivers needed, so they don't supply any and XP has no resolutions for a 5:4 screen, so everything looks a bit stretched vertical.

Does anyone know, how to define a own resolution in XP or has an even better idea?

:cheers:

#2 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1,676 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

Could SetRes help?

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

Unfortunately, no it can't.
The program asks Windows, if it would be so kind to switch to .... and when the requested resolution is not in the list of allowed resolutions, Windows says no.

I think, it is first necessary to tell Windows to allow the required resolution.
Not sure if the graphics card will also have a beef with a non default resolution.

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Read in another forum, that nVidia graphics cards allow to define own resolutions.
Tryed it and it sort of works.
I have a new resolution. But instead of squeezing the desktop verticaly, like i wanted, it added extra pixels to the hight, so that the taskbar is now off screen and the monitor menu does not allow to change hight and width of screen like with CRT. :cheers:

;)

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,448 posts
  • Interests:computers (!), programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), OSes, photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

The monitor will have a native resolution and should be run at this res. e.g. 1280 x 1024. RMSysInfo http://www.rm.com/Su...?cref=TEC999413 can usually tell you what the monitors native res is. You then need to find a driver that supports this resolution.

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thanks. Any hints on how to find such a driver?

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

When i follow you link, i get to rm education login. That sounds wrong. Is it?

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,448 posts
  • Interests:computers (!), programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), OSes, photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

When i follow you link, i get to rm education login. That sounds wrong. Is it?

You need to register. It is very quick. It is also in the Beta downloads section of the RMPrepUSB website now (no login required :-) )

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

The native resolution turned out to have a correct size ratio. However it was with 1280x1024 way to small for a monitor, which doesn't even have the screen size of a 17" crt.
Set for now the resolution to 120dpi and that seems to be somewhat usable.

However if someone knows, how to correctly use this dialog, to create usable new resolutions, i would be very interested in a lesson.
Dialog.gif

#10 ChrisBA

ChrisBA
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Greetings,

not really sure if it fits into the topic but I've got another newbee question relating to screen resolutions:

Scenario: I have successfully built a WIN7PE-ISO image which I am booting from disk. When, for example, setting the default display resolution in the main config script to 1280x1024 (prior to building the ISO) and using a display which has it as its native resolution - no problems. The resolution is set correctly after startup.

But what can I do when I need to use a 32" TV screen with a native resolution of 1366x768 (or any other 16:9/16:10 aspect ratios)? Do I have to integrate the appropriate video drivers in order for that to work?

Thx in advance & kind regards,
Chris

#11 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

EnTech Taiwan offers some of the best pro Monitor Control utilities used by some monitor manufacturers and licensees. Monitor Asset Management (MonInfo) will directly read your monitor's EDID (when available & accessible by standard means) and show list of supported resolutions, including native. Others utils purpose is self-explanatory.

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

@ChrisBA
Yes, for non default resolutions, you will need to install a driver, which supports them.