#1 Ionut Prunache

Ionut Prunache
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hello guys!

I'm creating a ramdisk at startup on Windows 7 x64 to store temp files and browser cache by running imdisk -a -s 3G -m m: -p "/fs:NTFS /c /q /y". The problem is that whenever i try to run an msi installer i get "Internal Error 2203." This is usually caused by a lack of permission on the user temp folder as explained here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296056 . My user temp folder is set on the ramdisk and i think this is what causes the problem but i don't know why. I've made sure the temp folder has the right permissions and i have also tried various solutions i found on other forums but it still doesn't work. Could this be caused because the drive is virtual or because how imdisk sets permissions for it?

I would appreciate any ideas on how to solve this. Thanks!

#2 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hello guys!

I'm creating a ramdisk at startup on Windows 7 x64 to store temp files and browser cache by running imdisk -a -s 3G -m m: -p "/fs:NTFS /c /q /y". The problem is that whenever i try to run an msi installer i get "Internal Error 2203." This is usually caused by a lack of permission on the user temp folder as explained here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296056 .

I have seen that particular error in various scenarios. Worst case has been when the cause is that temp folder is located on another drive than the system directory and where the msi package completely fails to handle that situation. I have not found any solutions to that particular problem without editing the msi package (in desperate situations).

However, I have seen this problem in a few other scenarios as well. It has usually been possible to track down exactly where it fails by analyzing Windows Installer log files or using SysInternals FileMonitor and work out a solution from there. So it would be great if you could try that and see if you can get more information about exactly where it fails.

A third scenario is one I have never seen myself but has been reported a few times is about encrypted or compressed temp folders. So, could you try to format it without the /c switch and see if that makes any difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users