#1 Michael Pietroforte

Michael Pietroforte

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 660 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

The special IPv6 addresses discussed in this part of the IPv6 tutorial are the unspecified address, the loopback address, IPv4-mapped addresses, 6to4 addresses, multicast addresses, and the solicited-node address.

Last time, I talked about zone IDs and unique local IPv6 unicast addresses. Today, I will introduce some special addresses. In practice, usually only the networking guys really have to deal with these addresses. But as a Windows admin, you should have at least heard of the terms.

Unspecified address
The IPv6 unspecified address is specified as “0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0″ (or “::” if you have a sense for mathematical beauty). I think, this naming convention is somewhat funny. It reminds me of the “unspeakable word.” But there is also some sense in this because applications use the unspecified address as a variable for, well, an unspecified address. I guess, you won't see this address often, just like you didn't have many encounters with the unspecified IPv4 address 0.0.0.0. Note that you can't assign this address to an interface, which also makes sense because then you would specify it, which is strictly forbidden. Posted Image

… read more of IPv6 tutorial - Part 8: Special addresses

Author: Michael Pietroforte
Copyright © 2006-2011, 4sysops, Digital fingerprint: 3db371642e7c3f4fe3ee9d5cf7666eb0

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users