#1 Dookus_Malukas

Dookus_Malukas
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:28 AM

Toshiba 2410 PS241A-5G8WEP
From what I can find there is no BIOS updates available and not much info on this specific model at all.
Problem, Secondary IDE controller has died, so no CD\DVD drive can boot the unit, it refuses to boot from any USB device, have tried all sorts of emulation on Thumb\flash drives, external USB CD\DVD drives etc .. the BIOS just does not support it.
I've tried installing XP with the HDD in other laptops and desktops from an N-lite driver reduced CD,Boots the machine originally installed on, but when swapped back in she's no boot hangs just after the BIOS screen.
What can I remove from the drivers section that will allow me to do this and still have enough stuff to boot when swapped out into the laptop?
Once I realised the original image I made was broken I did make one more recently but the system was cranky by this stage, stable but slow.

Maybe a friend has a similar machine I sold them a while back, I know for sure it's close enough to swap as I did it once, but that's only if I can't find an answer here.

#2 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:06 AM

Toshiba 2410 PS241A-5G8WEP
... ... ...
I've tried installing XP with the HDD in other laptops and desktops
... ... ...
What can I remove from the drivers section that will allow me to do this and still have enough stuff to boot when swapped out into the laptop?

Are you following a guide of some kind? Have you read somewhere that you can take an HDD from one computer and expect it to boot on another computer? Are you using the same model for "other laptops"?

The Windows installation process is responsible for determining which drivers are required for a particular computer. There is no guarantee that a Windows installation for model A can boot model B.

To prepare a Windows XP installation for some target model B involves pre-installing support for model B while running the Windows on model A.

If you boot the Toshiba to the Hardware Detection Tool and report your PCI devices here, perhaps someone can advise you on how to prepare your Windows installation for booting on the Toshiba. It might involve adding a driver.sys file and a corresponding service to your Registry, along with a CriticalDeviceDatabase entry to support the Toshiba's storage adapter.

#3 Dookus_Malukas

Dookus_Malukas
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:24 AM

Not following some guide mayte!, just trying things that have worked in the past and was doing what I could without asking ... nothing unusual about that!

thanks for the advice!... will do so.

#4 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Not following some guide mayte!, just trying things that have worked in the past and was doing what I could without asking ... nothing unusual about that!

thanks for the advice!... will do so.

Maybe this tutorial could help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users