18 replies to this topic

#1 toxic625

toxic625
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

Has anyone gotten Windows 7 with SP1 to boot from a USB Device every time i try it fails during boot. I get BSOD 7B. I used this tutorial which works great for getting Windows 7 to work on USB devices. http://reboot.pro/10126/

#2 razibu

razibu
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Has anyone gotten Windows 7 with SP1 to boot from a USB Device every time i try it fails during boot. I get BSOD 7B. I used this tutorial which works great for getting Windows 7 to work on USB devices. http://reboot.pro/10126/

I have the same issue but I used another method of installation ( http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9051 now http://reboot.pro/9196/ ).
I could install sp1 when using drive as SATA but not as USB drive.

Raz

#3 Agent_Smith

Agent_Smith

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

I had issues with both SP1 and non SP1 builds, but I built a bit differently..

In order to fix the problem, I had to put the USB drive on a different machine and remove old hardware before it worked. Right now I have a working SP1 build.. I wrote a little more about it here.

http://reboot.pro/91...post__p__123590

#4 Mr. S

Mr. S
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

I tried a few methods and have been successful with running win7 from usb-disk without SP1. Any atempt to use SP1 failed. So, I'll restore a working backup without SP1.

#5 Agent_Smith

Agent_Smith

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

Did you build with an SP1 disc? I think you may have to start from scratch.. I'm pretty sure an upgrade will erase all the modifications done to make the disc USB bootable..

#6 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

See here (post #206) for simple method to get Win7 SP1 booting from USB-HDD or flash drive. There's no need to re-install from scratch (unless other patches you've used cause issue), you only need simple, one click patch (link provided). Hope it helps.

#7 Mr. S

Mr. S
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

See here (post #206) for simple method to get Win7 SP1 booting from USB-HDD or flash drive. There's no need to re-install from scratch (unless other patches you've used cause issue), you only need simple, one click patch (link provided). Hope it helps.

No, not working. Just blue screens.

#8 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Mr. S,

Some people have trouble with this method, I have consistent success; hp, Dell, x86, x64 with or without SP1; restoring to USB-HDD or flash drive etc. What's the difference? Can you give some details?

What backup/restore SW and version you used.
Partition or whole drive backup.
SATA or PATA or?? type drive imaged.
Type restored to etc.

I would like to try and pin down what works and what doesn't.

One thing, I don't install Windows 7 'normally'; I only use one partition for the whole installation; no hidden or recovery type partitions usually associated with it or OEM setup. I've never trusted these additional partitions and don't use or need them. Maybe this is part of the 'mystery' to my success, I keep the installation 'portable'.

#9 Mr. S

Mr. S
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

amalux

• I installed Win7x32 with slipstreamed SP1 to a 30 GB IDE drive on virtual box.
  • I installed all available updates and the required programs.
  • I cloned the whole drive to an usb hard disk with Image for Windows 2.52 from Win7PE.
  • I executed the patch from Win7PE.
Booting is not possible, a blue screen appears after start of windows logo animation.

Edited by Mr. S, 24 March 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#10 Agent_Smith

Agent_Smith

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

I believe SP1 resets the USB configuration, as well as any changes to the storage drivers... You could boot into PE and make manual registry changes to switch these entires back... That should do it..

#11 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

amalux

• I installed Win7x32 with slipstreamed SP1 to a 30 GB IDE drive on virtual box.
  • I installed all available updates and the required programs.
  • I cloned the whole drive to an usb hard disk with Image for Windows 2.52 from Win7PE.
  • I executed the patch from Win7PE.
Booting is not possible, a blue screen appears after start of windows logo animation.

I think Virtual Box is the problem but let me run some tests and get back to you.

#12 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:25 PM

As suspected, using Virtual Box results in BSOD. Do you have a real (hardware) Windows 7 you can image for this purpose?

#13 Mr. S

Mr. S
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

Only SP1 is not working. I installed Win7 without SP1 in VB and cloned it to the usb drive - and it works!

No, I can't use an existing hardware because for this purpose I have to kill my current working system.

#14 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

Only SP1 is not working. I installed Win7 without SP1 in VB and cloned it to the usb drive - and it works!

That's great news, I'm glad it's working (SP0); Hopefully SP1 will be worked out in a new VBox release soon. I'm not using most recent versions of VBox (didn't like v4+ interface) and mostly use VMWare for virtual stuff but I don't like using virtual setups for real hardware like this due to past experience (maybe time to re-think?).

No, I can't use an existing hardware because for this purpose I have to kill my current working system.

I use hard drive (partition) imaging for testing new setups; great for trying new SP's, OS's or problematic program installs. Once you get used to it, it's as simple as VM and much more accurate testing (IMO).

#15 razibu

razibu
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

Using PWBoot patch, I can run Win7 sp1 on my desktop PC but behaviour is erratic on my laptop. The configuration seems to be reset at some point on the laptop a(HP6930p) and I have to reapply the patch regularly. Any hint?

Raz

#16 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

Using PWBoot patch, I can run Win7 sp1 on my desktop PC but behaviour is erratic on my laptop. The configuration seems to be reset at some point on the laptop a(HP6930p) and I have to reapply the patch regularly. Any hint?

Raz

My guess would be Windows auto-updates (and/or auto-scanning AV behavior) or there may be some issue where Windows 'resets' to last known 'good condition' which maybe unrelated to patch. It's hard to say without more info, I have not seen this issue on the machines I've tested.

#17 Ahmed_Bashir

Ahmed_Bashir
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

All my friends out there, no fuss when there's a ready-made tool already published by Microsoft itself.

It's called "Windows7 USB/DVD Tool".
I've checked it myself, works fine (everything from booting to installation) with Windows7 Service Pack 1.

NOTE:- some of u may complain, that after selecting the ISO file thru this tool, it displays an error msg "The selected file is not a valid ISO file".
This is not a result of the tool's erroneous behaviour, but is a result of all those modified Win7 setup files available out here on the internet.

Here are the download links:

http://images2.store...SB-DVD-tool.exe

http://www.download....4-10972600.html

Plz do leave a comment & thanx for reading (this is my very first reply-post :-) )

Edited by Ahmed_Bashir, 05 April 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#18 razibu

razibu
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

All my friends out there, no fuss when there's a ready-made tool already published by Microsoft itself.

It's called "Windows7 USB/DVD Tool".
I've checked it myself, works fine (everything from booting to installation) with Windows7 Service Pack 1.

NOTE:- some of u may complain, that after selecting the ISO file thru this tool, it displays an error msg "The selected file is not a valid ISO file".
This is not a result of the tool's erroneous behaviour, but is a result of all those modified Win7 setup files available out here on the internet.

Here are the download links:

http://images2.store...SB-DVD-tool.exe

http://www.download....4-10972600.html

Plz do leave a comment & thanx for reading (this is my very first reply-post :-) )

Dear Ahmed,

If life would be so easy... I can run Win7 SP1 from a USB Device. Nevertheless, in my case, I have also a bitlocked harddrive in my laptop, another Linux partition on the USB drive that I would also be able to boot. I can do that easily on my 2 desktop machines. I could also do that with my laptop before SP1 - no more with SP1.

By the way, the tool from Microsoft was designed to install Win7 from a USB drive - not for running a full portable Windows7 Ultimate system including Office and all my nice softwares.

Raz

#19 Ahmed_Bashir

Ahmed_Bashir
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Sorry Raz, I misunderstood you friend...

Thanx for the polite reply buddy.

Take care, I'm still a novice player, so really can't help u out for running a full portable Windows7 Ultimate system including Office and all your nice softwares.

Good night..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users