3 replies to this topic

#1 koiulpoi

koiulpoi
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to have a persistent session in any sort of PE environment. I understand that this is (nearly) impossible to do when running off of a CD, but with a USB device, it would be handy at times to have a system that remembers what you last did with it. There are Linux live-cds that do this - even CD-booting ones that can store all the changes to a USB drive.

Is this possible with any winbuilder project? I'm using Win7PE_SE right now and loving it, save for a lack of persistence!

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

Generally speaking it's not possible due to the nature of PE, however, most programs can save data between sessions (reboots) if you use the portable type setups described here which work in LiveXP and Win7PE_SE etc.

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

Sorry to have to contradict you amalux, but it is possible and quite easy.
The one thing that can not be done easy, is save and restore any settings required during boot up.
For everythig else, one simply needs a little script that copies the required files / directories to the UFD on shutdown and from the UFD on boot.

As far as i know, there is no project that has a feature like that implemented.

:dubbio:

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Currently, saved changes are handled on an individual basis e.g. default notepad changed to notepad2 or metapad etc. is setup with

copy np21\notepad.exe %windir%\System32

regedit /s notepad2.reg

if metapad,
set line=!line:copy np21=copy mp351!

set line=!line:/s notepad2=/s metapad!

settings are caught with,
REGEDIT /E %~dp0notepad2.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\notepad2"
REGEDIT /E %~dp0metapad.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\metapad"
etc.

I'm curious how a single script could take all global changes like this into account. Do you have an example of how this would work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users