Photo

full Universal xp.vhd run from usb - Finally work for me! (maybe for you too...)

• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#351 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:computers: (repairing, administration), reading: (technological info), outing: (having a good time), music (electronic, house, instrumental...) and hiking
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hi Wonko,

I think it would, perhaps seem unrelated as I should have started a new thread instead.

But maybe i'm still missing the point or...
I do feel it is related to how the image is made, I mean I use windows 7 along with IMGxp to create the image and all works fine, but if the image is manually made then there seems to be a problem.

I don't expect any answer to solving this problem of JAWS not working, I guess it is a mistery like you mentioned, and also all seems to be correct with regard to how the image should be made.

The only thing I wish right now, is if I were an autoit guru just to know what happens when IMGxp creates the image, what happens when it is mounted, and just before it is unmounted.

Thankyou much for putting up with me and replying to my posts.
I appreciate your time.

Regards,

#352 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14291 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

I don't expect any answer to solving this problem of JAWS not working, I guess it is a mistery like you mentioned, and also all seems to be correct with regard to how the image should be made.

I simply hate unresolved misteries..... :angry7:

The only thing I wish right now, is if I were an autoit guru just to know what happens when IMGxp creates the image, what happens when it is mounted, and just before it is unmounted.

But maybe, even if you are not an AutoIt guru, if you start a new "dedicated" thread summing up the things already done and ask wimb (nicely ;)) he will help you also :cheers:.

:cheers:
Wonko

#353 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:computers: (repairing, administration), reading: (technological info), outing: (having a good time), music (electronic, house, instrumental...) and hiking
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hi Wonko,

I shall proceed to do so, and I would sincerely like to thank you for your help thus far.
;)
Regards,

#354 Doodoo

Doodoo

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

the installation looks ok, but on a reboot (both virtual and physically) I get a driver error (and license error) in the bootscreen

Yes that's what I meant in my post.... You get this error message at each and every boot. But it hasn't prevented me from booting at all.... I should even say it has allowed me to boot from the Dell laptop which used to give me BSOD 7B. Have you tried (in spite of the expected license error) to boot from problematic machines ? Any sucess ?

#355 martin.be2

martin.be2

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Yes that's what I meant in my post.... You get this error message at each and every boot. But it hasn't prevented me from booting at all.... I should even say it has allowed me to boot from the Dell laptop which used to give me BSOD 7B. Have you tried (in spite of the expected license error) to boot from problematic machines ? Any sucess ?

@Doodoo
:unsure: strange, but you are correct
After installing the ubdrvgd.inf I don’t have a BSOD
Just to be sure, I did rename the ubdrvgd.sys and after this I have the BSOD
(after rename to original no BSOD)

So the ubdrvgd.inf in combinatione with the wim img_xp_22 is working for me on 99% of the hardware

Without the ubdrvgd.inf its working for 60% on the hardware

#356 ndog37

ndog37

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:03 AM

I have created this universal image (xp.img) using grub4dos. It is now possible to run xp.img via pxelinux? Or should I stick to bartpe using winvblock method, if I want pxe booting?

Edited by ndog37, 22 March 2011 - 05:04 AM.

#357 Doodoo

Doodoo

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

So the ubdrvgd.inf in combinatione with the wim img_xp_22 is working for me on 99% of the hardware

Good to hear that :unsure:
I think we are making progress ! To discuss this at length,I have created a new thread which you may want to look at.

#358 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

I have created this universal image (xp.img) using grub4dos. It is now possible to run xp.img via pxelinux? Or should I stick to bartpe using winvblock method, if I want pxe booting?

You can certainly use PXELINUX -> MEMDISK + xp.img, if xp.img has WinVBlock installed.

#359 Aktar Biswas

Aktar Biswas
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hello Sara,

Since I visited ur thread, me become ur great fan of u.
I really appreciated you works and wanted to thanks for this wonderful
jobs. :thumbsup:

I lost my old account! i couldn't asked you a question earlier regarding this Universal Xp!

I had created UXp with this steps..

title start setup xp on img
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd0)
map /xp.vhd (hd0)
map --mem /IMAGES/xpsp3.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

title continue setup xp on img
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd1)
map --mem (md)0x6000+800 (fd0) Deleted line
map /xp.vhd (hd0)
map --mem /IMAGES/xpsp3.iso (0xff)
map --hook
dd if=(fd1) of=(fd0) count=1 Deleted line
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

title Boot XP from image file
map /xp.vhd (hd0)
map --rd-size=2048
map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)
Deleted line
map --hook
write (0x55) #GRUB4DOS\x00v=1\x00xp.vhd\x00\x80\x00 Deleted Line
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

My problem is that when ever i boot in some pcs/laptops i got stuck at desktop
with "found new hardware" without keyboard and mouse support!!!!!!

1. What could be the problem?
2. how to add atleast keyboard and mouse drivers during offline unbooted image file?

Thanking you..
hope to see solutions as soon as possible..

#360 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

My problem is that when ever i boot in some pcs/laptops i got stuck at desktop
with "found new hardware" without keyboard and mouse support!!!!!!

I had the same problem a few years ago. So what I do is I have the Windows automatically log in, then I put the following batch file (foo.bat) in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\:

@echo off

echo.

echo  ENDLESS LOOP TO KILL "Found New Hardware Wizard"

echo.

echo  You will have to close this window manually.

:_start

cmdow "Files Needed" /end > nul 2>&1

cmdow "Found New Hardware Wizard" /end > nul 2>&1

goto _start

You would need to find and download cmdow.exe and add it to C:\Windows\System32\ or somewhere else in your path. Eventually, Windows will install your mouse and keyboard. This has been very handy for me on many models.

#361 AnaToolS

AnaToolS
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

Please help

REBOOT LOOP with grub4dos xp.vhd and winvblock!!!

I try the WinVblock driver to boot xp vhd from usb.

I use the manual from sara at the top of this topic. I can install XP sp3 (german version) from iso to an XP.vhd
VHD is created fixed with with virtual pc.

The VHD now works 2 times (boot fast in 20 sec.) then came the reboot loop.

In VirtualBox i can boot this vhd, but not anymore direct from grub4dos.

I try 10 times ti install xp in vhd, every time the same effect. 2 times vhd boots fine then reboot loop.

anybody the same Problems ?

what ist my fault

#362 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:02 PM

Please help
REBOOT LOOP with grub4dos xp.vhd and winvblock!!!
I try 10 times ti install xp in vhd, every time the same effect. 2 times vhd boots fine then reboot loop.
what ist my fault

Are you saying that you were actually able to boot entirely and log on to Windows twice?

Press F8 when Windows is just about to boot and you should get a menu. Choose Disable automatic restart on system failure. When you get the Blue Screen of Death, report the error code.

#363 AnaToolS

AnaToolS
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for the answer, and your good work here

Yes.

i can log on twice into windows after installation.

so the errorcode of BSOD.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

STOP: 0x00000004E (0x00000099, 0x00008D76, 0x00000003, 0x00000000)

any idea ?

#364 AnaToolS

AnaToolS
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

i Think davlak has solved that problem

http://reboot.pro/9830/page__st__107

i will try this and tell you more here

thanks

#365 MR Cracker

MR Cracker

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

hello
can you upload your vhd?
because setps are compilated and need much time to done
thx.

#366 Me Only

Me Only

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT SOLVED!

As simple as it sounds, disabling the prefetcher will prevent (or stop) the dreaded PFN_LIST_CORRUPT message.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
EnablePrefetcher
REG_DWORD: 0

I did this offline on an xp.img that was already BSODing by mouting the image and loading the system registry hive to change the values. It stopped the BSOD and no more have happened.

#367 AnaToolS

AnaToolS
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

full Universal xp.vhd run from usb - Finally it works for me too! :-)

Thanks to "Me Only". It Works without reboot loop. No BSOD.

fine !

#368 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:42 AM

Hi,

I am trying to make a universal xp.img which can boot from all pc.The following are the steps that i have taken so far to create the xp.img which boot perfectly fine on my internal hard disk but doesn"t boot from my usb hard disk..

1)Create an xp-1.img of size 1.6GB with IMG_XP tools from Wimb.

2)Install of XP from driverpacks integrated XP.iso into xp-1.img went fine.I had integrated mass storage,cpu,chipsets,LAN and WLAN driverpacks into my modified XP.

3)Then i installed all the related missing drivers for my pc into that image,Disabled system restore.

4)Connected my USB Hard disk into that booted image so that it could get the usb drivers and then restarted again with my USB Hard disk connected.

5)After shutting down,I copied that image to my USB Hard disk and placed it on the first partiton of my usb hard disk which is ntfs formatted and active.

6)The following entries were created in menu.lst on the usb hard disk..

title Load XP Image - XP-1.img - WinVBlock RAMDISK - Boot XP in RAMDISK

# Sector-mapped disk

map --mem /XP-1.img (hd0)

# Dummy WinVBlock parameter disk

map --rd-size=2048

map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)

# Commit mapped drives

map --hook

# Tell WinVBlock the filename to switch from sector-mapped to file-backed

write (0x55) #GRUB4DOS\x00v=1\x00XP-1.img\x00\x80\x00

# Boot Windows XP in the image file

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr

title Boot XP Image - XP-1.img - WinVBlock FILEDISK

# Sector-mapped disk

map /XP-1.img (hd0)

# Dummy WinVBlock parameter disk

map --rd-size=2048

map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)

# Commit mapped drives

map --hook

# Tell WinVBlock the filename to switch from sector-mapped to file-backed

write (0x55) #GRUB4DOS\x00v=1\x00XP-1.img\x00\x80\x00

# Boot Windows XP in the image file

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr

7)I can Boot perfectly fine when i boot from ram,but when i try boot that image as filedisk i get BSOD with 0x0000007b error.The following are the screenshots that i get when i try to boot it as filedisk.First one is the BSOd screen that i get and the second one is the screenshot that i get when i try to boot from safe mode..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by sushil1576, 30 July 2011 - 02:45 AM.

#369 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:10 AM

I used USB_XP_FIX after i copied the xp-1.img to the usb hard disk

#370 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2293 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:12 AM

5)After shutting down,I copied that image to my USB Hard disk and placed it on the first partiton of my usb hard disk which is ntfs formatted and active.

It is needed to use USB_XP_Fix.exe
Did you use it ?
I don't see this in your description. It can also create the menu.lst entries on USB.

If you still have problem, you can try to use IMG_XP_Update.exe AFTER succesful booting the XP Image file from RAMDISK.
You have got to wait then 2 min so that XP will silently adjust to hardware and drivers are installed.
Any missing drivers you need to install with DriverForge from POST_FIX folder.
IMG_XP_Update.exe will Update the registry of the Image file and new installed drivers will be added.
You need to do that procedure (boot from RAMDISK and use IMG_XP_Update.exe) twice to get a good working registry.
Then you can finally try to boot XP Image file as FileDisk.

Also you need to check if the Image file is contiguous by using WinContig.exe of IMG_XP package.

:ranting2:

#371 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

I had used USB_XP_FIX on the xp_1.img on th usb hard disk.Thanks for your suggestion wimb.I will try them out later today as right now i am not on my pc.Will report back as soon as possible.Thanks

Edited by sushil1576, 30 July 2011 - 05:12 AM.

#372 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2293 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:27 AM

@sushil1576

BTW did you also:

- Set System Restore and Windows Update Off and Run PURGE_DLLCACHE.BAT to delete 350 MB of dllcache folder
- Reduce Size e.g. Change Virtual memory and Sleep settings to get rid of pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys

More Info here http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553

http://reboot.pro/9830/page__st__390 post #399 and #411

#373 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hi, I tried all your suggestions.Booted xp-1.img into ram and used IMG_UPDATE_XP.exe twice after installing all the devices.But still,when i try to boot the same updated image from usb hard disk,i get the same BSOD with 0x7b error.

But there is one interesting thing,When i boot in vmware with ramdisk option and after using IMG_UPDATE_XP.exe,..i was able to boot the xp-1.img as filedisk in vmware.I have disabled system restore,pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys...I am just not able to find the reason this BSOD..May be with your help i can do it..But i have almost tried all the available options.

Edited by sushil1576, 30 July 2011 - 11:15 AM.

#374 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2293 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

May be you can try on other computer to boot from USB with XP Image as FILEDISK.
You might also try to use other USB-drive.

I have no other solution available and don't know what is causing the BSOD 7B problem in your case.

You can also try IMG_XP_Restore.exe and restore your XP Image file to USB-partition and then Boot XP direct from USB.
In that case waitbt32.sys version 0.0.0.4 is used which is known to so solve BSOD 7B problem
http://reboot.pro/14427/

:ranting2:

#375 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

@wimb
Well i tried all the options as suggested by you.But i just couldn't get the xp image to boot as filehard disk on my usb Hard disk.But what I still can't understand is why i am able to boot the same xp image from vmware as filehard disk from my usb..

At last i just gave up and created windows 7 vhd files and i am able to boot them perfectly on my usb hard disk,...Both the original one as well as the compact image created with the help of your wonderful tools.. :happy_dance:

Anyways thank you so much for all your help and suggestion,i will try to sort out the mystery of xp image later,..May be i will try to boot the xp image from my usb pen drive or something else..You never know what combination may work.. :smiling9:

Edited by sushil1576, 31 July 2011 - 10:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users