8 replies to this topic

#1 Anmorphic

Anmorphic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

I have a grub4DOS CD with a SafeTech boot ISO which loads great (I'm told it's a Real Time OS). When selected, the ISO loads and I am able to interact with the hard drive after authenticating within the SafeTech OS. There is a feature (an important one) for this particular ISO, which is called Emergency Boot. It resets the hardware to bypass encpyption since you've already encrypted and then exits and is supposed to boot from the local XP parition. Googling combinations of Safetech and Grub resulted in, umm my own posts and not much else.

When I choose the Emergency Boot option, a question is asked (Is your OS Win XP or earlier?), I click Yes, it warns that the MBR may be changed, I click OK, the SafeTech CD exits and then tries to boot from the local operating system hard drive. The problem it hangs at this point. I think it's because I may need to add a NTLoader to my Grub4DOS ISO image. But I'm not sure.

The system will just hang at "Starting operating System...." I suspect it is not finding a loader to load the local operating system, or doesn't know how.

I have the follow menu item for my SafeTech ISO
title SafeTech Boot CD

find --set-root /safetech.iso

map /safetech.iso (hd32)

map --hook

root (hd32)

chainloader (hd32)

I am trying to find out how I can have the safetech.iso to load an NT system from the local mbr after exiting?

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,435 posts
  • Interests:computers (!), programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), OSes, photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Sorry, but I am not familiar with this s/w - so some Q's...

1. If you just burn the iso as a CD and boot from the CD - what happens when you follow the same procedure?
2. You neglected to mention what OS is on the hard disk?
3. How is the hard disk configured and is it encrypted?
4. What do you mean by 'resets hardware to bypass encryption' - are you referring to full hard disk encryption and if so which sort?

#3 Anmorphic

Anmorphic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

Steve:

1) If i burn the ISO by itself to a CD then the Emergency Boot procedure works.
2) The OS on the local hard disk is Windows XP.
3) The hard disk is configured with 1 partition and 1 volume formatted NTFS
4) The hard disk is encrypted with McAfee Endpoint Encryption, but this isn't a factor because the SafeTech CD requires that you authenticate and authorize before you can perform the Emergency Boot. I'm not sure what the system is doing but it echos three lines "Resetting hardware" then "Disabling Mouse" and then "Starting Operating System..." when it hangs after booting from the ISO on my grub4DOS disk.

I opened the safetech.iso and it has two files. bootsect.rtt and safetech.rta. It's using an operating system called On Time RTOS-32 which I found a link for and I am reading up about it now. The link to that is http://www.on-time.com/rtos-32-docs/. Although given that I just started learning about the workings of boot loaders and booting in more detail over the past 5 days I'm not competent enough about what I am reading here.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 11,057 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

Just in order to disambiguate:

Are you talking of the McAfee thingy?

The one they call in their jargon EEPC (just to avoid confusion with the EEEPC) :cheers:?

(Endpoint Encryption)

Or what?

:cheers:
Wonko

#5 Anmorphic

Anmorphic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi Wonko:

Yes we're using McAfee Endpoint Encryption version 5.1.7 which includes the SafeTech and WinTech CDs. The SafeTech Emergency Boot procedure is the only one I can't get to work.

#6 Anmorphic

Anmorphic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

I copied ntldr and boot.ini to the root of the CD which is loading the ISO to see if maybe the SafeTech CD was trying to access ntldr from the boot partition, but it still hangs.

I'm missing a fundemental concept here, the only difference between booting from a straight ISO burn of safetech.iso which works and booting from grub4DOS is that it's using the virtual CD right?

Edited by Anmorphic, 21 January 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#7 Anmorphic

Anmorphic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

I'm still going on this, and will until the result is 1 or 0.

I used the commandline on an unencrypted PC and an encrypted laptop. On unencrypted PC, I can do a root (hd0,0) and it is recognized as ntfs and of course the file system can be read. On a laptop encrypted with EEPC (McAfee Endpoint Encryption) when I attempt to do a root (hd0,0) no FS is detected.

How can a system BIOS boot the "miniOS" that (EEPC) puts on the the local hard disk for encrypted hard drives, yet grub4DOS cannot, nor can it even see it? Any recommendations for things I can try to work around this?

#8 Anmorphic

Anmorphic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

Okay, my problem has been solved. I feel sheepish. But it was rather, rediculously, simple. At least I learned an immense amount of information about Grub4DOS and more specifically how systems boot.

For anyone else, who ever wants to boot using a McAfee Endpoint Encryption (also known as EEPC) SafeTech CD, the regular ISO you can creating using their instructions works fine. All features will work, with the exception that if you wish to do an "Emergency Boot" you will need to answer "No" to the question "Is your Operating System Windows XP or earlier?". The disk will exit and boot from the local hard disk (after proper authentication). *sigh*. Ya, it was that easy. Here is the menu item to use.

If anyone wants to enlighten me to my previous questions, feel free, I'd love to learn.

In my case, the safetech boot cd iso is called safetech.iso and is located in the Grub4DOS install media folder.

title SafeTech Boot CD

find --set-root /safetech.iso

map /safetech.iso (hd32)

map --hook

root (hd32)

chainloader (hd32)

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 11,057 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

How can a system BIOS boot the "miniOS" that (EEPC) puts on the the local hard disk for encrypted hard drives, yet grub4DOS cannot, nor can it even see it? Any recommendations for things I can try to work around this?

rooting to a partition implies that the partition filesystem is known by grub4dos.
It is NOT *needed* to actually root in all cases (it represents an useful way to use in later commands relative paths) and - in case there is the rootnoverify command.

I have no idea how that EEPC works, usually those have code in the MBR that decrypts on the fly something and loads it.

so you can try something like:
chainloader (hd0)+1

boot

which should boot the MBR, or
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

boot

which should boot the PBR of first partition, and that is functionally equivalent to:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

boot

As always, try everything on command line BEFORE assembling commands in a menu.lst entry. :whistling:

:cheers:
Wonko