Photo
- - - - -

Windows Updates caused BSOD (fully recovered thanks to WIN7PE_SE)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:45 AM

A few hours ago I attempted to update my system (automatically) via Windows Update but upon reboot, I ended up with an endless BSOD/Reboot. I am not sure which update caused the stuff up but at the time of update, three updates were applied. Has anyone experienced this?

Oh and thanks to my trusty bootable UFD with ChrisR's WIN7PE_SE installed, I recovered my system via system restore :hi: Now I have the same updates waiting to be applied yet again but I am not going to until I find out what's going on.

So this is a big cheers to WinBuilder, boot-land/reboot (whatEVER LOL ;) ) and ChrisR's WIN7PE_SE (that's the one I use).

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:41 AM

A few hours ago I attempted to update my system (automatically) via Windows Update but upon reboot, I ended up with an endless BSOD/Reboot. I am not sure which update caused the stuff up but at the time of update, three updates were applied. Had anyone experienced this?

I think I saw something in the latest "Windows Secrets" newsletter, but can't seem to locate it just now...And yes, have a good PE in a storm is always a good idea!

[edits]
While not specific, Woody has a definite opinion on patching http://www.askwoody.com/

#3 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:19 AM

If the issue effects multiple users, I am sure it will end up on the front page of C|NET and ZDNet. Let's wait and see.

#4 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Alright, I got bitten again. I accidentally selected "Shutdown" and the updates were applied again. Upon reboot, a BSOD loop. I restored yet gain. I am about to turn off Windows Update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users