31 replies to this topic

#1 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

Using BartsPE, as I recall, I create a folder, named it what I wished, and placed the extracted driver files as provided by the vendor. These files I assumed where copied to the %system% folder.

I am now learning Win7PE_SE, please tell me I only have to copy files to a subfolder under ..\Projects\Win7pe_SE\Drivers? I can't imagine have to make script files for every driver I run across in the future.

#2 MB_75

MB_75

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:02 AM

Hi pcunite,

It's very easy to drivers to WinPE.

Create a folders were you dump ALL the drivers you want to add (make sure you don't mix 32Bit & 64Bit drivers). Anywhere accessable from your PC.
Then from WinBuilder link to the root of the folder you created.
Make sure you select the drivers and hit the play button...
Magic...

#3 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

looks at the script Driver Integration in Drivers folder for that. Put your drivers (or DriverPacks drivers) in the folder x86 or x64 (depending on your building)

It allows you to integrate your x86 or x64 drivers in Win7PE_SE using dism /Add-Driver.

#4 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

I appreciate all the effort to make this project, however, I am unable to get the ICH9R driver and Marvell Yukon 88E8056 nic driver to load. The "Driver Integration" script does inject them it seems, I mounted the wim file and saw them present.

When Win7PE_SE gets to the desktop, viewing Device Manager shows the Marvell nic with the exclamation point present, viewing the device prompts me to reboot for changes... of course this is a fake message.

What should I do? Using an x64 Build of Win7PE_SE.

#5 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Okay, I just tried DriverPacks, the latest... all get injected, but once again booting to the desktop the Nic is not working... What do I need to look for?

#6 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Does anyone have a Windows 7 x32 bit ISO? I only own x64 versions. If you don't give me the CD key it should be okay legally.

#7 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I do not know if I can help you with these drivers.

Did you try to uninstall these drivers and then load them with pnputil.exe - i -a X:\path\yourdrivers.inf or with Hwpnp, ...

#8 ludovici

ludovici

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 610 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Hello pcunite
And if you desactivate and activate your driver in device manager...

#9 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

Precialy were should the download drivers be placed? The "Drivers Integration" script lists them as "%GlobalTemplates%\Drivers_x64\" which does not exist so I hard coded in my own path. I know some versions of UBCD don't want this change from the original. Just trying to track down the problem.

#10 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

Precialy were should the download drivers be placed? The "Drivers Integration" script lists them as "%GlobalTemplates%\Drivers_x64\" which does not exist so I hard coded in my own path. I know some versions of UBCD don't want this change from the original. Just trying to track down the problem.

The folder "%GlobalTemplates%\Drivers_x64 is created when you click on the Explore button and then you can put your drivers here.

#11 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:05 AM

Does anyone have a Windows 7 x32 bit ISO? I only own x64 versions. If you don't give me the CD key it should be okay legally.

There are plenty available on the net - look here for some pointers...

But not sure that this will solve the issue...

If the drivers are there, not sure why they aren't loading at boot...Try executing the HwPNP script (it is in the Addons, and puts shortcut into Computer Management\Drivers). I have also been playing a bit with the "stand-alone drivers 2" script that is on the driverpacks.net site (in the forums). See the attached script, which takes the driver pack, and puts it on the CD (after uncompress)...and uses DPInst to install them after booting...

Good Luck...

Attached Files

#12 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

also using the driver intergration script you may need for force load them by using the shortcut created: Start Menu>Computer Management\Drivers>Install your Drivers (oem)

#13 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

pnputil reports:

processing inf: yk62x64.inf
Driver package added sucessfully.
Published name: oem186.inf

Total attempts: 1
Number sucessfully imported: 1

However, in Device Manager it still shows up as "!" and wants to restart.

Opening PENetwork and selecting "Force scanning for new..." and it shows the nic in the status bar as it finds it but does not show it as an option in the drop down box.

Folks, this all works in BartPE, I know that this project is an improvement, but it has got to be easier than this...

#14 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

pnputil reports:

processing inf: yk62x64.inf
Driver package added sucessfully.
Published name: oem186.inf

Total attempts: 1
Number sucessfully imported: 1

However, in Device Manager it still shows up as "!" and wants to restart.

Just to confirm, we are using a x64 based "source", and this is integrated via the DISM approach and is the latest driver from Marvel? (or is this the driver packs one?)...

Opening PENetwork and selecting "Force scanning for new..." and it shows the nic in the status bar as it finds it but does not show it as an option in the drop down box.

did you try an "update" of the driver as explained in the readmes in the zip file download of the latest driver?

3.2  Updating the Driver

To update the driver:

1.  On the desktop, right-click on MY COMPUTER.

2.  Select MANAGE.

3.  In the "Device Manager", double-click your adapter.

4.  Select DRIVER.

5.  Click UPDATE DRIVER...

6.  Follow the instructions given by the operating system to locate the 

driver.

7.  If the driver which is found to be the latest is not the one you want to 

install, select the check box "Install one of the other drivers".

8.  Click NEXT. 

9.  From the driver list, select the driver to be installed.

10. Click NEXT.

11. If a message is displayed saying the driver is not digitally signed by

Microsoft, click YES.

12. Click FINISH to complete the installation.

Folks, this all works in BartPE, I know that this project is an improvement, but it has got to be easier than this...

Yes - it usually is...Any other information you can provide - like name of motherboard, or have you tried any of the other debug tools that list out devices, etc.??? At this point just collectively grasping at straws with you...

#15 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

sbaeder,
I know it is frusterating, I don't know how to supply you with a test or view of what I'm seeing, that is a bit of a downside to this type of product.

- Yes I'm using x64 source and drivers.

- Yes the Driver Integration script lanuches a cmd DSIM window and injects the driver. I am using Yukon's driver off their site, I also tested the one from driverpacks.

- I did try a manual update and it does not work, but this technique did work for the ICH9R controller, that driver did not require a reboot to properly load.

To me it seems like the Marvell nic wants, or need to be load very early in the process or that an x64 environment is something a little different from the 32bit environment for this type of product.

My system:
Asus P5k-E with 8GB ram installed, onboard NIC is a Marvell Yukon 88E8056. Sata controller is an Intel ICH9R configured for ACHI mode, not raid. I noticed an option for "Driver Integration" "Load drivers at startup", should this be checked?

#16 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

sbaeder,
Your attached DriverPacks.script file, how shall I use this or install this? It sounds like the right approach.

#17 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

you could also try the option in the Addons\PENetwork script for including drives

Add network drivers from this directory (including subdirs):

#18 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:37 AM

sbaeder,
Your attached DriverPacks.script file, how shall I use this or install this? It sounds like the right approach.

Just put it into a folder somewhere in the "projects area"...For example, I put all "my" stuff in a folder called z-MyStuff, so the driver script goes into D:\WB\Win7PE_SE_2010_12_10\Projects\Win7pe_SE\z-MyStuff (as an example)...
Then select it to be built. It should show up below the original "drivers" folder and scripts...All it does is unpack the driverpacks archive, and uses DPINST to do the install of the drivers, which should be nearly the same as the PnP utility...

Since this is a post load approach, and your issue is that it thinks it needs a reboot before it will function, I'm guessing it wouldn't help...

I think what we need to do is find a way to force an earlier "loading" of the drivers...Have you tried selecting the option to load drivers at start - Both my newer script (for post booting) and the DISM integration one have a check box to do this. Or maybe as Homes32 said, allow PENetwork to install the driver? It also has a place to point at drivers to load...

Are you having PENetwork auto start? If so, try disable of that and only start it after you get the driver installed?

Again, sorry can't be of more help, but without a MB that has that chipset, we are kind of helpless...(but not ready to surrender :unsure: )

Scott

#19 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Selecting the option "load" at startup for the "Driver Integration" script has solved the problem.

Notes

Before fixing this issue, "Computer Management / SeriWin" reported the yukonw7 service as not started and the file "X:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\yk62x64.sys" with an error of "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

The ICH9R drivers are correctly loaded this time also. Does no one have access to such a chipset? Any of the ICH*R series should work.

In "Device Manager" for the Yukon nic, it shows up as "Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8056 based Ethernet Controller" instead of the proper name. I noticed that as PENetwork was starting (which it is set to do automatically) that it found two nics, first the correct name and then the generic name, to which it only uses the generic name. The nic works, just wondering why this is happening.

Running "Computer Management / PnpUtil" seems to find many of the missing devices under Device Manager that a boot of BartPE would normally identify ... not that all these are necessary for imaging the disk. Also doing this makes the "!" appear for the Marvell nic again. How do I make all drivers load early and presumbly not incorrecly load the Marvell again?

Lastly, why is loading drivers early not a project default? Does everyone not belive that to be a more standard approach?

Thank you.

#20 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Selecting the option "load" at startup for the "Driver Integration" script has solved the problem.

AWESOME ;)

In "Device Manager" for the Yukon nic, it shows up as "Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8056 based Ethernet Controller" instead of the proper name. I noticed that as PENetwork was starting (which it is set to do automatically) that it found two nics, first the correct name and then the generic name, to which it only uses the generic name. The nic works, just wondering why this is happening.

Don't know....Might be useful to post this Q in the thread on PENetwork...

Running "Computer Management / PnpUtil" seems to find many of the missing devices under Device Manager that a boot of BartPE would normally identify ... not that all these are necessary for imaging the disk. Also doing this makes the "!" appear for the Marvell nic again. How do I make all drivers load early and presumbly not incorrecly load the Marvell again?

Lastly, why is loading drivers early not a project default? Does everyone not belive that to be a more standard approach?

On #4, my guess would be that if you have the drivers added, AND you select the option to add them automatically in their script, that it could work...I think it's just a matter of getting the right sequence and adding the driver load commands.

For example, from the script for driver integration, it just seems that if you check the load automatically, all it does is set an autorun command ...I guess the "trick" is to get the right command in the right order... :sos:

But as to why one way is the default over another???? I think it's just that if for most folks it works "good enough" most of the time, and only occasionally needs to be run after they boot, that the best thing is to have it boot faster...

But maybe this will help others down the road...

Again, :thumbsup: happy you got it working

#21 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hello All!

I am happy for this new project because I have using old Win7Rescue which is outdated.
This works fine and I am just interesting in adding a driver support for chipset, mass storage and LAN, and some administrative and recovery tools.

Question.
I am building Win7PE_SE on 32-bit Windows XP and it is working Ok. But What is with x64 Win7PE_SE? Do I need to build it on some x64 OS?

And what is the difference beetwin Driver package installer and Driver integration?

One more q.
Who is responisible for administrating a site? A new look is great but I am not in Yugoslavia. I am in Serbia. Yugoslavia doesnt exists any more... :dubbio:

Thanx.

Edited by gnikolic, 21 January 2011 - 08:24 AM.

#22 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

One more q.
Who is responisible for administrating a site? A new look is great but I am not in Yugoslavia. I am in Serbia. Yugoslavia doesnt exists any more... :whistling:

Thanx.

That is fixed.

Sredili smo to... :dubbio:

#23 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

That is fixed.

Sredili smo to... :dubbio:

Advanced User... Thanx a lot!
... Puno Hvala!

#24 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

This works fine and I am just interesting in adding a driver support for chipset, mass storage and LAN, and some administrative and recovery tools.

Question.
I am building Win7PE_SE on 32-bit Windows XP and it is working Ok. But What is with x64 Win7PE_SE? Do I need to build it on some x64 OS?

And what is the difference beetwin Driver package installer and Driver integration?

You can build your Win7PE x64 on your HostOS 32-bit, you just need of win dvd 7 x64 as sources.

for administrative tools and recovery tools you have options available in the script "1 - copy files"

The Driver Package Installer process, which relies on DPInst to add drivers to a running installation (i.e. POST creation). This version leverages the DriverPacks or others as the source of the drivers, but just unpacks or copy them onto the media for use after starting Win7PE_SE. MSDN Info on DPIns
The Driver Integratrion script add the drivers to the driver store (used when Plug and Play runs) into the the WIM files using the method Dism /Add-Driver.

These 2 scripts allows you to control which ones you want integrated into the WIM and which are available after booting the PE.

#25 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

You can build your Win7PE x64 on your HostOS 32-bit, you just need of win dvd 7 x64 as sources.

for administrative tools and recovery tools you have options available in the script "1 - copy files"

The Driver Package Installer process, which relies on DPInst to add drivers to a running installation (i.e. POST creation). This version leverages the DriverPacks or others as the source of the drivers, but just unpacks or copy them onto the media for use after starting Win7PE_SE. MSDN Info on DPIns
The Driver Integratrion script add the drivers to the driver store (used when Plug and Play runs) into the the WIM files using the method Dism /Add-Driver.

These 2 scripts allows you to control which ones you want integrated into the WIM and which are available after booting the PE.

Thanx for quick replay.

I understand about x64 Win7 but I just wondering can I make a x64 Win7PE_SE under x86 HostOS...

You explain about drivers, but what is the better way? I just need a Win7 with support for chipsets, LAN, WLAN and mass storage and because of using administrative tools and sometimes internet, these drivers needs to load before autodetect...
What is better way?

I am just confuse with new look... is there some part of site with scripts or do I need to use search to find it?

Thanx in advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users