#26 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1728 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

Again Nuno is continuing to insist RegAddBoot is used to create shortcuts. Its not. It was designed to fix the problem where programs that use the registry do not expand environment variables in registry entries and will only work if the registry entries contain full absolute paths. There are many programs that have this problem.

However recent changes to some of the projects have made it possible to change the drive letter of the the drive that contains boot containers like wim files to a known drive letter like y: so it may be becoming less needed as x: / y: can now be hardcoded by the common api. However still don't see a reason to call the function redundant.

#27 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1728 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

@PscEx, I think it would be good enough to insist all parameters are strings when calling the external dll. Let the called function do any conversions. If Delphi supports COM it must support BSTR parameters for strings so we could insist all strings params are BSTR.

Yes it would be difficult to support variable numbers of params as you really need to use the win32 api calling convention for external functions for compatability with other languages. I think you would need to internally define external function prototypes with 1 string param, 2 string params, 3 string params, up to a max number of params that everyone agrees is a sensible number, then map the external function on to one of these function prototypes. This is easy in c++ don't know if the concept would work in delphi.

@Nuno,

Enhancement request created at:

http://reboot.pro/13...post__p__118626

#28 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

How would you handle the example I gave without RegAddBoot?

I already provided an example on the post after your example. Please refer to: http://reboot.pro/13...post__p__118579

If it can't be handled that way, you can refer to the final part of this post.

Again Nuno is continuing to insist RegAddBoot is used to create shortcuts. Its not. It was designed to fix the problem where programs that use the registry do not expand environment variables in registry entries and will only work if the registry entries contain full absolute paths. There are many programs that have this problem.

It is being misused to create shortcuts. Please refer to previous posts for context.

-------

A line must be drawn about the usage of app scripts, otherwise it will continue in the same mess that we see today.

Some programs will need to:
- register activeX components
- depend upon services to be installed on boot time
- expand registry variables that are only known when the OS is running

App scripts must be kept simple.

If any given application requires more advanced registration, use the LODR method described here: http://reboot.pro/forum/73/

#29 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

I already provided an example on the post after your example. Please refer to: http://reboot.pro/13...post__p__118579

Nope,that method seldom works.

If it can't be handled that way, you can refer to the final part of this post.

And you really think that method is simpler and more robust? :dubbio: :thumbsup:

It is being misused to create shortcuts. Please refer to previous posts for context.

So what?. The fact that a technique is being misused does not mean that technique is not appropriate and even required for some circumstances. Automobiles are misused, so let's get rid of automobiles.

#30 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

No more ping-pong messages please.

If you require advanced functionality to make a program run at boot or whatever reason, do use other techniques as mentioned on my post above.

#31 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Is that directed to me? Replying to your messages and pointing out your errors is "ping-pong-messages"?

Requiring an absolute path in the registry that is not known at build time is not advanced functionality. Period.

Please cancel my account on this discussion board. I will immediately take down thje scripts posted on my web site, since so many of them violate your silly rule.

#32 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

Done.

#33 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14713 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

No more ping-pong messages please.

If you require advanced functionality to make a program run at boot or whatever reason, do use other techniques as mentioned on my post above.

Wonko likes this approach:
let's discuss things, as long as you do it the way I have decided.

:dubbio:

:thumbsup:
Wonko

P.S.: Cross-posting with this:
http://reboot.pro/13547/

#34 larioteo

larioteo

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:36 AM