• 5 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:31 AM

i am trying to create the above,
i have used rmusbprep to format a lexar 4gb
the usb boots to grub4dos correctly
the ubcd starts to load, goes past the opening screen, then bsod

the same iso works ok from cd (but so slow)
i will later try creating a new iso to see if it fixes the problem
looking for any feedback or suggestions

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  • Interests:computers (!), programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), OSes, photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

i am trying to create the above,
i have used rmusbprep to format a lexar 4gb
the usb boots to grub4dos correctly
the ubcd starts to load, goes past the opening screen, then bsod

the same iso works ok from cd (but so slow)
i will later try creating a new iso to see if it fixes the problem
looking for any feedback or suggestions

If you mean UBCD4WIN then it won't boot from an ISO. See here. I have not tried it but you should be able to extract the contents of the ISO to a folder on you hard disk and then prepare a bootable USB drive using RMprepUSB and the COPYFILES+BartPE options.
If you mean the UBCD (DOS) version - see YouTube video tutorials using RMPrepUSB.

#3 westconn1

westconn1
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

yes i guess that is it, ubcd4win
the same iso boots and runs when written to a cd, with a boot menu to select some other programs first
would it maybe need some changes to the menu.lst settings, though they appear to be correct, as the iso does boot to the ubcd boot menu correctly and start loading the ubcd disk

i am not really familiar with linux, so just wanted to work with familiar tools, but the time taken to load the ubcd from a cd is a killer

can i make a usb to boot to dos with ntsc4dos, so i can edit on the harddrive
i made up a usb boot to dos, but was unable to find the hard disk after booting

i looked at the link you posted, but it seems to have a lot information to digest, much of which is gong over my head

#4 Technotika

Technotika

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 419 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

Another way of doing this is to use the "inbuilt USB porting tool" conatined within the UBCD4WINinstallation folder. I have the latest 3.60 (so can vouch for that version but not others) and after the install look for something called UBUSB.EXE in the install folder c:\UBCD4WIN (i think..) This is a very simple tool to use and will allow you to select GRUB4DOS as the main bootloader giving you further options to add programs of your choice and update menu.lst. Also another thing to note create your instance of UBCD4WIN on a XP machine. I recently made the mistake of doing it on a win764 machine and it causes a common problem "prelogon info not found" error message. I gather its because some DLL's (needed for that process) dont get detected on windows764. Let us know how you get on.

Install link http://www.securityw...BCD-for-Windows

#5 westconn1

westconn1
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

thnx i downloaded the ubusb already, from the thread above, job for tomorrow now
also thnx for the warning about win7 as that is where i was going to do it, i will do down the back on the old reliable (xp), might try both
will post back

#6 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  • Interests:computers (!), programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), OSes, photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

UBCD4WIN cannot boot from an ISO file on a USB drive. You need to extract the files from the ISO file to a folder on your hard drive (say C:\UBCD4WIN). Then run RMPrepUSB and use NTLDR + the COPY FILES folder set to C:\UBCD4WIN and tick the BartPE box - then click prepare drive. You can install grub4dos if you like and then make a menu.lst to chainload (hd0,0)/ntldr so it boots to the USB drive.

UBCD4WINV360.exe does it all for you and there is a tutorial on YouTube.

If you want more help please list your menu.lst entry, but if it says xxxxx.iso then it won't work.

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

UBCD4WIN cannot boot from an ISO file on a USB drive.

Why not? :(

If Server 2003 SP1 files for ram booting exist it should allright. :frusty:

As well it should be well possible to add firadisk or WinVblock support to it. :ph34r:

:(
Wonko

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

OK, you can use firadisk like this, but it takes a long time to boot as the iso is 640MB as standard build.

title UBCD4WINBuilder with firadisk \nBoot to BartPE in RAM
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /UBCD4WinBuilder.iso
map --mem /firadisk.gz (fd0)
map --mem /UBCD4WinBuilder.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

OK, you can use firadisk like this, but it takes a long time to boot as the iso is 640MB as standard build.

Yep :frusty:, and where will be the "casual user" find firadisk.gz?

http://ubcd4win.com/...showtopic=14524
http://ubcd4win.com/...showtopic=13764

Yes, Firadisk is awesome.

HERE'S http://www.ezpcfix.n...win/RamBoot.zip a plugin that compresses your iso image to about half the size then makes a new iso image that boots your compressed UBCD4Win iso image entirely into ram. Extract the zip file to your %UBCD4Win%\plugin directory then run Ramboot-Config.cmd

Isn't it strange how UBCD4WIN related info is often found in the actual UBCD4WIN forum? :(

:ph34r:
Wonko

#10 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

RamBoot looks interesting. I have added a tutorial to the RMPrepUSB website which includes the fix for when you are using Win 7 64-bit OS to run UBCD4WIN Builder see here. I have tried it all and it seems to work fine.

#11 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:53 PM

RamBoot looks interesting. I have added a tutorial to the RMPrepUSB website which includes the fix for when you are using Win 7 64-bit OS to run UBCD4WIN Builder see here. I have tried it all and it seems to work fine.

I tried RamBoot and it did not seem to work on my 1GB Asus EeePC (it reset during loading of ramdisk - probably not enough ram??). However as grub4dos supports .gz files, it is easier to compress the iso with 7Zip to a .gz file and use that to directly replace the iso (still using firadisk) - that does work on my 1GB EeePC.

#12 westconn1

westconn1
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

i built a usb as per your directions and tested it on 2 machines

on toshiba laptop (hard drive removed) booted fine loaded the ubcd4win from the compressed iso, but got bsod while loading drivers for windows, note this machine got bsod when trying to boot ubcd4win from cd, only machine i have tried that got this error, the driver that failed was framebuf

on desktop with AMD processor, machine hung on post when usb plugged in, so never tried to boot at all, i got it to usb boot previously with a different configuration to a dos prompt, but could not see the harddisk, this is the machine i want to use on at present

i will see what other machines i can test with tomorrow

#13 Technotika

Technotika

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 419 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

Just out of curiosity (all cats reading look away now!) what are you hoping to achieve whilst booted on this machine with said rescue cd?

#14 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

i built a usb as per your directions and tested it on 2 machines

on toshiba laptop (hard drive removed) booted fine loaded the ubcd4win from the compressed iso, but got bsod while loading drivers for windows, note this machine got bsod when trying to boot ubcd4win from cd, only machine i have tried that got this error, the driver that failed was framebuf

on desktop with AMD processor, machine hung on post when usb plugged in, so never tried to boot at all, i got it to usb boot previously with a different configuration to a dos prompt, but could not see the harddisk, this is the machine i want to use on at present

i will see what other machines i can test with tomorrow

re. HDD-less system, not sure but I have seen BSOD when booting HDD-less systems - add a HDD (even a blank one) and it boots OK from USB.

Re, AMD system - try BIOS menu options and update BIOS to latest version. If you boot to DOS then it won't be able to see and NTFS hard disk as DOS only understands FAT disks.

#15 westconn1

westconn1
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

re. HDD-less system, not sure but I have seen BSOD when booting HDD-less systems - add a HDD (even a blank one) and it boots OK from USB.

Re, AMD system - try BIOS menu options and update BIOS to latest version. If you boot to DOS then it won't be able to see and NTFS hard disk as DOS only understands FAT disks.

1. it failed to boot from cd even with hard drive installed, but different error bsod at earlier point (not driver), it is in for repair, so may have other issues, besides faulty hdd

2. i was hoping to use ntfs4dos or similar, but could not see the hard disk at all, the machine did boot from the same usb stick previously, with different boot configuration, i have decided the easiest solution, is to remove the hdd and mount as external on other machine

Just out of curiosity (all cats reading look away now!) what are you hoping to achieve whilst booted on this machine with said rescue cd?

hoping to fix corrupt registry files