#1 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Speaking of Reboot PM feature, old forum mails are now editable by sender, which should not be allowed, as sent PM is a time stamped document that can be amended by a subsequent PM, but normally never edited regardless of access privileges.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Speaking of Reboot PM feature, old forum mails are now editable by sender, which should not be allowed, as sent PM is a time stamped document that can be amended by a subsequent PM, but normally never edited regardless of access privileges.

Oh yes, this is serious :fine:, someone may be sued for having edited a PM he/she wrote and that is now in his/her own sendbox. :juggler:

;)
Wonko

#3 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

A PM copy in one's mailbox should match the copy sent to the addressee. That's basically by definition of what a COPY is. Also, as Saved Mail is often used in subsequent correspondence or as a reminder, why would one want to have a mail copy that doesn't match the original? Its basically only to mislead yourself...doesn't make sense to me. Its not a legal matter, but rather a matter of keeping mail archive accurate and up-to-date. :fine:

Its not a Freedom matter either, since once you sent a PM, the Forum may either allow you to recall it back (if such feature is available), or sent a subsequent correction to the addressee. But fixing merely own Copy makes no sense - as I said, its self-misleading.

Of course, if available, a feature allowing to Add Notes to a sent PM may be useful, thus performing similar function without making a PM Copy different from Original.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

Its not a legal matter, but rather a matter of keeping mail archive accurate and up-to-date. :juggler:

OK :fine:, then it's a "logic" one:
WHY should one modify his own copy of what he sent? :unsure:
To later come whining that "the board software made me do it"? ;)

:cheers:
Wonko

#5 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

For a similar reason that one frequently modifies his own old posts to present them more favorably in subsequent arguments, while hiding Edit Date. Are you familiar with that practice? :fine:

Disallowing both tricks would contribute to concentrate forum discussions on Reboot issues rather than talk of nothing for the sake of wasting time merely to disappoint forum visitors. Are you familiar with that practice too? :juggler:

See, its all about archiving the same goal: friendly facts rich argumentation in every forum thread, predominantly about the issues relevant to this forum, and aiming not to merely promote your own image (smart or otherwise), but to contribute to others education and issue resolution. Once one sets such a goal, amazingly, attempting a confrontation in each thread is no longer required. ;)

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

For a similar reason that one frequently modifies his own old posts to present them more favorably in subsequent arguments, while hiding Edit Date. Are you familiar with that practice? :fine:

NO. :cheers:

And it is the second time you are accusing me of this behaviour, which I don't recall having ever indulged in.

Can you post one or more examples?

Disallowing both tricks would contribute to concentrate forum discussions on Reboot issues rather than talk of nothing for the sake of wasting time merely to disappoint forum visitors. Are you familiar with that practice too? :juggler:

NO, not even that.

See, its all about archiving the same goal: friendly facts rich argumentation in every forum thread, predominantly about the issues relevant to this forum, and aiming not to merely promote your own image (smart or otherwise), but to contribute to others education and issue resolution. Once one sets such a goal, amazingly, confrontation in each post is no longer required. ;)

I see.

Speaking of Qemu Manager, why don't you, with the aim of others education, post a review, turtorial and comparison with other Virtual Machines?

:unsure:
Wonko

#7 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hi Wonko (the Sane)

I merely asked you a few questions, no accusations at all. Pls don't keep disrupting threads with irrelevant matters. :juggler:

Btw, I still keep your non-edited e-mail, generally stating the same thing about ongoing senseless confrontations. :fine:

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

I merely asked you a few questions, no accusations at all. Pls don't keep disrupting threads with irrelevant matters. :fine:

Well no, you accused me of:
  • editing my previous posts in order to change their meaning in order to "present them more favorably"
  • using multiple accounts to "support" myself
  • not doing anything useful (or not producing enough or not contributing to the board)

http://reboot.pro/13388/

Your problem (one of) seems to be you can't draw fine lines in some issues, resulting in numerous contradictions, fixing your old posts without Edit Date shown, and ongoing arguments with other members who actually tend to (almost) like you.

Again, you don't have to register multiple forum accounts to support yourself.

See, the thing that disturbs me the most, is your (lack of) accomplishments record as a long term member.

This is not "irrelevant", as I see it.

Anyway relevance (like beauty and malice) is in the eye of the beholder.

As well, your opinion on the amount of accomplishments I made as a member of this board (or lack of them), and the fact that it disturbs you, is essentially your problem, though of course is not nice nor polite to post about it, as it is essentially a lack of respect to my work (or lack of it) which is against common netiquette and specifically Rule #7 of the Board.

The other two can represent either true facts or false statements.

This could be the right occasion to either post some examples of the behaviours you described or stop making such false insinuations.

:juggler:
Wonko

#9 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

:fine:

#10 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

It is a common feature for people to edit their messages after being published.

Regardless of how many times you press preview, sometimes you only note that something is still wrong after replying.

One of the things that I don't like about the board is that it will dispatch the email right away with our post contents even if we later decide to correct something.

For example, the moddle forum system only dispatches emails with the topic contents some 30 minutes after they have been written.

----

Albeit I agree that posts should have some margin to change within a time period, email messages indeed shouldn't.

However, one should also look at the intention of why this feature was added on the new forum software.

Before, you would have a hard time keeping track of messages amidst a conversation whereas now you are perfectly able of engaging into a private messaging with multiple participants as if it was a private discussion topic.

-------

Given the fact that in public topics discussions you are allowed to edit your own topics, it does justify that private topics should be allowed for editing just as well (and perhaps this explains the rationale of IPB developers).

Sambul61 request was noted. However, we will preserve this feature "as is" for the time being until we can evaluate with better experience the differences between the "before" and "after" to see which one is more indicated to use around here.

If people act in childish manner, there is indeed a valid reason to prevent them from changing private messages, otherwise I believe that members around here are civilized enough to assume their mistakes.

--------------

As for Wonko, I've been (trying) to prove how most of his claims are wrong everywhere across the Internet since 2005: http://www.911cd.net...indpost&p=92523

When I work hard enough, I eventually succeed now and then.. :fine:

On those (happy rare) events, he never edits his old posts except if they contain information that is not obviously incorrect to others and might mislead readers in the future.

On such cases, he strikesthrough edits his old comments as he is one of the few guys that strongly believes that what is posted online is like written in stone. :juggler:

#11 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

the moddle forum system only dispatches emails with the topic contents some 30 minutes after they have been written.

Interesting... I know, some email servers allow to recall an email unless it was already viewed by an addressee, but haven't seen delayed delivery in public systems. :juggler:

This is just a Suggestions Section. Nobody expects every suggestion be implemented at once, unless they are really of principal nature. Indeed, childish or manipulative behavior some ppl exhibit regardless (or because) of age is at times annoying. They either try to bite you, or get deadly upset when you bite back, yet show no signs of a stable patient's behavior. :fine: But a friendly discussion is always welcome.

So, there's a tendency now to view the PM feature as a private forum, where posts can be edited anytime? Its an interesting concept to think through...requiring the addressee received PM copy also changed synchronously. Which makes some sense, since tech forum PMs are not really destined for documenting contracts or such, but to merely discuss tech issues privately. Making it very different from email systems regarded as ePost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users