#1 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

In the mails you get when someone replies to a topic, you are subscribed too, you still get the old long urls.

Part of the mail:

The topic can be found here:
http://reboot.pro/in...view=getnewpost

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

In the mails you get when someone replies to a topic, you are subscribed too, you still get the old long urls.

Yes, and that link is perfectly valid. :(

Once you click on it you will be taken to the right post, that in your example will lead to:
hxxp://reboot.pro/13327/page__pid__117385__st__90#entry117385
(hardly a short url :) )

Basically the IPB board has a number of (most of them completely foolish) ways to address the same post.

All of these are good:
the one you got on the e-mail (leading to last post in the thread - so it will chage when a new post is added and you have visited the board)
hxxp://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=13327&view=getnewpost
this one (leading to the topic):
hxxp://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=13327
this one (leading to the post - actually viewing the thread starting from that post)
hxxp://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=13327&st=97
this one (leading as well to the post but ONLY to it)
hxxp://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=13327&view=findpost&p=117385
the above are the "classical" IPB ways, that have always been there and still work on any IPB board, no matter what it's configuration is.

To have an idea of the mess that can be caused by different custom configurations of the board, besides the awful experience we had on boot-land with "friendly names", compare with this:
http://www.msfn.org/...me/page__st__25
pardon ;):
http://www.msfn.org/...ic=147189&st=25

(and yes the good guys at MSFN experienced ALSO all kind of problems with CODE and CODEBOX tags with the last update :()

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Also, some Tutorials (like Diddy's Grub4DOS Guide and such) are still open using old links.

Speaking of Reboot PM feature, old forum mails are now editable by sender, which should not be allowed, as sent PM is a time stamped document that can be amended by a subsequent PM, but normally never edited.

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

hxxp://reboot.pro/13327/page__pid__117385__st__90#entry117385
(hardly a short url )

Yes, this way too long for my taste as well.

On vBulletin it is simpler to configure all URL's to match our own configuration, around here those links insist on having a life of their own.

old forum mails are now editable by sender

Please place this comment on its own topic. I would have split your topic myself but it also has content related to this one.

If we keep each issue on a separate topic it is relatively simpler to discuss them and close afterwards we reach a conclusion. Otherwise long topics are very difficult to track and easy to forget when browsing the topic list.

Thank you.

:)

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

Speaking of Reboot PM feature, old forum mails are now editable by sender, which should not be allowed, as sent PM is a time stamped document that can be amended by a subsequent PM, but normally never edited.

Oh yes, this is serious :fine:, someone may be sued for having edited a PM he/she wrote and that is now in his/her own sendbox. :juggler:

Speaking of snowballs, a snowball maker is a cool (pardon me the pun ;)) gadget:
http://www.plowheart...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA
very useful as perfectly round snowballs are WAAAY more accurate....

Please place this comment on its own topic. I would have split your topic myself but it also has content related to this one.

If we keep each issue on a separate topic it is relatively simpler to discuss them and close afterwards we reach a conclusion. Otherwise long topics are very difficult to track and easy to forget when browsing the topic list.

I thought this was the OOOLD way of communicating....:unsure:

:cheers:
Wonko

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

I thought this was the OOOLD way of communicating...

I like the old fashion. :juggler:

I'm glad we have a new section for requests. If I get some time I'll open one to request that we remove the text box when replying to posts and allow everyone around here to post using emoticons.

Now that's innovative.. :fine:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users