6 replies to this topic

#1 Colton7909

Colton7909
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:05 AM

First off I'll say that I'm pretty new at this PE stuff and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I've attempted to install a LiveXP build onto my 2G Toshiba flash drive that I know is bootable. For the most part everything seems to be going fine. The only problem is I get this error message right after the splash screen.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed
hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then
restart your computer

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78BA528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000)

I don't think that the LiveXP.iso is bad because I've booted it in VirtualBox and it works fine. I've been reading a bit on this site and I think what's going wrong is a usb driver problem, but I'm not quite sure how to fix it or if this is actually the problem at all.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

#2 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

First off I'll say that I'm pretty new at this PE stuff and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I've attempted to install a LiveXP build onto my 2G Toshiba flash drive that I know is bootable.

How do you attempt to install the LiveXP ISO?

#3 Just_A_Novice

Just_A_Novice

• Advanced user
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Booting Technologies<br />Networking<br />Programming<br />PC Repair<br />PC Forensics<br />Unique Batch Scripting<br />Cisco Technologies<br />PC Mods &amp; Custom Builds<br />Vulnerability Penetration Testing<br />Technology Enthusiasts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78BA528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000)

I don't think that the LiveXP.iso is bad because I've booted it in VirtualBox and it works fine. I've been reading a bit on this site and I think what's going wrong is a usb driver problem, but I'm not quite sure how to fix it or if this is actually the problem at all.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

I dont think your ISO is bad either, however I think its not wise to assume that the virtual machine will reflect the same results on your actual real machine. The reason why I say this is the XP setup is going to react to what the BIOS reports back to it about the hardware. i'll elaborate more later about that. Now your virtual machine BIOS is different from the actual real computer Bios that your intending to Boot this (XP.iso) off of.

They have different Storage controllers (RAID,SCSI,IDE,AHCI,SATA) yeah stuff like that. Now the 7b (BSOD blue screen of death) is not very new to us here at Boot Land we actually dread to see it, as we eagerly test our new builds.

Furthermore......

Your idea about the usb driver sounds like your on the correct path. I would try to see if there is an script that would allow you to slipstream a fixed dummy driver for your USB that fools the system to think that your USB is a fixed disk and not a removable usb disk. Also see if that driver can be be slip streamed into your livexp build. Or you check and see if there is an overall script thats just made for implementing drivers into livexp builds period.

Another long shot is you can check your BIOS on the PC that your testing your USB out on, to verify if your motherboard disk controller in your BIOS are using AHCI (SATA) or IDE. If its AHCI (SATA) then verify if you can switch it to IDE and then re-try to boot the ISO that you built with LiveXP. (Not in virtual machine but actual host system)

***Just a quick note your average XP source will have a good number of IDE drivers sitting right inside of the source already thats why it hardly gives you the BSOD when you boot from that setting. ****

Pressing on.......

Since you are working with a NT based OS ---->(Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 operating systems) the boot loader of the Livexp build has a little friend called Ntdetect.com this little friend just came back from having a conversation with the BIOS about all the type of hardware thats attached to the current system. Keep in mind this all happens before the boot loader clears the screen and reflect a graphical progress bar to you. I think with some custom LiveXp builds here on Boot Land, some folks have altered that progress bar with a custom image so you might not see it.

For the purposes of booting, a driver is either a "Boot" driver that is loaded by NTLDR prior to starting the kernel for XP and also started before system drivers by the kernel, a "System" driver, which is loaded and started by ntoskrnl.exe (kernel) after the boot drivers or an "Automatic" driver which is loaded much later when the GUI already has been started. "Boot" drivers are almost exclusively drivers for hard-drive controllers and file systems (ATA, SCSI, file system filter manager, etc.); in other words, they are the absolute minimum that ntoskrnl.exe will need to get started with loading other drivers, and the rest of the operating system. "System" drivers cover a wider range of core functionality, including the display driver, CD-ROM support, and the TCP/IP stack.

The appropriate file system driver for the partition type (NTFS, FAT, or FAT32) which the Windows installation resides on is also loaded. With this finished, control is then passed from NTLDR (Bootloader) to the kernel. At this time, Windows 2000, XP and 2003 switch into a graphical display mode to display the Windows logo, unless the /noguiboot or /sos switches are present in boot.ini (if there is no boot.ini then its possibly bootsect.dos sitting around somewhere in one of the directories within the source)

Sorry for this long lengthy response. I kept on thinking of possibilities for that Blue Screen you were experiencing.

Hope this has been some help to you! Good Luck and happy booting for the holidays!

Just_A_Novice :cheers:

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hi Colton7909,

Check DPS msst topic :cheers: (and post 106 there which I just posted)
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=7374
let us know if this fixes :cheers:

@Just_A_Novice
Thanks for nice explanation
Try LiveXP when you find time (above top, download link), Maybe you find things to add to project (ps: dummy filter for usb already exists.)
:cheers:

#5 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

I agree with other speakers that it appears to be a hardware incompatibility & incomplete generalization (when required) & absent driver issue. I've seen such screens before... :cheers:

#6 Budda

Budda

• .script developer
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

I have had a similar issue. I had this particular error resolved by utilizing a modified ntdlr.com file for the boot files on my flash drive. It was as simple as following this tutorial for me and doing as they have suggested.

http://www.911cd.net...ndpost&p=127213

All my problems were in regards to specific Dell Optiplex computers.

#7 Colton7909

Colton7909
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

Sorry for the long delay! I kind of put this on the back burner for awhile. I tried many of the suggestions posted, but in the end I found a workaround. I decided to try and boot from the actual LiveXP target folder instead of the .ISO file and to my relief it worked perfectly. Not only did it boot, but now I can add files that I want without having to rebuild the whole thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users