14 replies to this topic

#1 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hello,

Has anyone tried to integrate the Intel Rapid Storage driver V9.6.0.1014 with WinPE 3.0 or wimb's portable Win7? All my attempts to boot an .iso with this driver ( using grub4dos ) failed. The system hangs in the screen Starting Windows. Test computer is an Asus N53J. No any problem with a NativeEx disc built with the driver V9.6

#2 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

To my understanding, this is "RAID only" driver, and one doesn't need it if not using RAID setup. Didn't try it with PE3.

#3 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi sambul61,

The system is setup to run in SATA AHCI Mode. No any RAID configuration.

#4 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

If you open Services panel, you'll find Intel Rapid Storage service there - that's the disturbed buggy that will always give you extra headache and PCU load, when hooking SATA drives in IDE mode. So many ppl either uninstall it or deactivate service permanently - unless they use RAID.

So don't bother with it - not worse the effort in your case. SATA driver for your chipset is all you need.

#5 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

sambul61,

I guess you din't read correctly my postings. I am already using a SATA driver in my Win PE 3.0 build :
[codebox]Dism /image:C:\mnt /Add-Driver /driver:C:\iaStor2010 /recurse[/codebox] Can you tell me please how can I uninstall or deactive the service if WinPE 3.0 is unbootable? ( A small note : there is no services panel in PE 3.0 ) The mass storage driver is an essential element here.

Is there a solution apart from switching to IDE mode in BIOS settings?

#6 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

I don't use WinPE often, the example was generic. Hopefully, someone will help you to delete the driver from the PE image. Look also through Windows PE Customization How-To Topics.

If similar problem occurs with a regular Win install, this example of how to uninstall a "fantom" driver will help. Read also IRS Readme file for uninstall instructions.

Intel provides SATA drivers for its chipsets on Floppies too, or you can get them by unpacking the IRS installer in 7zip or such. Hence, SATA driver is also installed as part of IRS package. The package itself is mostly intended to manage RAID volumes. If you fully uninstall it, SATA driver gets uninstalled too. Then just add it as usual again.

In IDE mode IRS will continue endless search for SATA drives, thus raising your CPU usage quite a bit. If you can't boot PE in SATA mode regardless of IRS presence, the cause of your problem may be different.

#7 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Here is the article I found :

WinPE 3.0 Storage Driver Issues

http://trevorsulliva...-driver-issues/

Switching to the IDE mode and starting with an untouched copy of WinPE 3.0 didn't solve the problem. Including \ excluding the iaStor driver both in AHCI \ IDE modes leads to the same result, an unbootable Win PE image. The most interesting is that all everything is fine with PE 1.x builds.

#8 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

The article you mentioned describes a bit different problem. Again, I'm certain, some guys here can advice you about a number of approaches to resolve your issue, but:

Can you try drvload command to install the SATA driver after booting to WinPE 3.0? Look f.e. through this thread for details. Also, wimb described various methods to install extra drivers to WinPE, f.e. look here for some ideas.

Did you try using WinBuilder?

#9 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

sambul61,

I appreciate all your efforts to help me but I am afraid you didn't read correctly my postings :

All my attempts to boot an .iso with this driver ( using grub4dos ) failed. The system hangs in the screen Starting Windows

Switching to the IDE mode and starting with an untouched copy of WinPE 3.0 didn't solve the problem. Including \ excluding the iaStor driver both in AHCI \ IDE modes leads to the same result, an unbootable Win PE image.

You are asking me to try drvload, it's nice solution, I know it but how can I run this tool if cannot boot WinPE? I cannot get the console of PE 3.0 as it hangs during booting.

#10 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

I did get your problem, at least at what you assume it is. If you believe that your problem is in Intel Sata driver, can you rebuilt the WinPE without it, boot in IDE mode, then add same Sata driver? I don't use PE often, but such solution sounds logical - don't you think? :cheers:

On the other hand, if you can't boot "untouched" (assuming, it means without Sata driver installed) WinPE in IDE mode, do you still think, Sata driver is at fault? :cheers:

#11 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

The source of the problem was booting the .iso with grub4dos. Booting from a CD solved the problem. My new Make-PE3 disc is built without the latest iaStor driver and the internal msahci and iastorV drivers are enough to perform a successful boot. Sorry for all the trouble. Sata mode : AHCI , grub4dos build date : 10-16-2009

#12 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

At this point it would be wise to clarify, from what partition did you try to boot the ISO, how far it is from disk start, and what Grub4DOS commands did you use?

I found direct mapping doesn't always work that well as find --set root. So, your detail info may help fixing some apparent bugs (if any).

#13 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Hi sambul61,

Here is my grub4dos entry :
[codebox]title Windows 7 PE map --mem (hd0,0)/7PE_x86+IE8.iso (hd32) map --hook chainloader (hd32)[/codebox] hd0,0 is a primary partition marked as active. This entry above worked fine in another computer with SATA mode set to IDE in BIOS.

#14 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

When your system hangs, is there any error message?

#15 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

No any error messages. All what you see is a Starting Windows screen.

Edited by Vortex, 15 December 2010 - 08:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users