#1 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 177 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

I usually boot my win7 from usb on many ps's for repair,recovery,virus scan etc... In these cases I do not want
to Wait until the System finish drivers installation... (Sometimes it takes 5< minutes)

The system itself boots very fast and it's enough for me .... I do not need the most drivers.

I want to go to Device Manager manually and update only what I need (network etc...)

It's possible?
:worship:

#2 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

I usually boot my win7 from usb on many ps's for repair,recovery,virus scan etc... In these cases I do not want
to Wait until the System finish drivers installation... (Sometimes it takes 5< minutes)
The system itself boots very fast and it's enough for me .... I do not need the most drivers.
I want to go to Device Manager manually and update only what I need (network etc...)
It's possible?

Does editing the answer file ring a bell 2 u? thats how we used 2 do it first days of xp..also later same in vista and 7..maybe some pros here will giv u a better answer..if ur not convinced with mine..i would love 2 c that.

#3 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:04 AM

and for an already installed xp-vista-7 u can use group policy to modify and stop this default habit of searching 4 drivers.thnx :worship:

#4 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:07 AM

If you find a solution, I'd appreciate if you could write a small tutorial explaining how to do this.

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

It's hard to believe 'loading drivers' is the issue, even on slower machines, my Win7 (x86/64) boots very fast to usable desktop from HDD or USB.

What are reasons you're having to "Wait until the System finish drivers installation"? With a healthy startup you shouldn't have to wait at all; what's probably happening is a bunch of crap stuff is loading in the background that doesn't need to be. Programs you install tend to autorun themselves, check for updates etc. This is well known issue and requires a bit of house cleaning on users part to disable or delete these unwanted startups. Also, some anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee etc.) are worse than viruses at bogging down your system.

You can try a 'clean boot' using msconfig utility to see if this is the case, full instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

#6 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

If you find a solution, I'd appreciate if you could write a small tutorial explaining how to do this.

no Nuno i cant..am very lazy and bit of a talk more than do it urself person..this is a big project...the solution is there for years we do it as i said..if u need a tutorialist u can ask the great ones u have in boot land like amalux or shirin or jamal..the later happens 2 be am his big fans 4 his great pictorial tutorials he does that can turn super nubes into pro ITs..not 2 mention the nutorios founder of bootland was jacklaas..he could drip jewels out of his experience !! :worship:

#7 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:27 AM

we used 2 remove the drivers folder completely from installation cd and edit the answer file not 2 search for drivers..and for the already installed windows we used 2 disable this feture from group policy. :worship:

#8 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 177 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:16 AM

we used 2 remove the drivers folder completely from installation cd and edit the answer file not 2 search for drivers..

how to do this? Can you be more specific?

and for the already installed windows we used 2 disable this feture from group policy. :worship:

i know about "policy..." but for faster boot&run i use "windows 7 starter" instead of "ultimat"
the policy fether not exsist in win7 starter... am i wrong??

It's hard to believe 'loading drivers' is the issue, even on slower machines, my Win7 (x86/64) boots very fast to usable desktop from HDD or USB.

like im say befor, my desktop boot very fast too, but then start drivers installation prosass that make the sySTEM stake... (Especially when it's a flash drive...)
i know all about cleening startup, antiVIRUS, tweking for speed,etc...
Usually i stop the prosess manualy, but iT'S start few times again so i ask u for better Solution.

#9 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:27 AM

how to do this? Can you be more specific?
i know about "policy..." but for faster boot&run i use "windows 7 starter" instead of "ultimat"
the policy fether not exsist in win7 starter... am i wrong??
like im say befor, my desktop boot very fast too, but then start drivers installation prosass that make the sySTEM stake... (Especially when it's a flash drive...)
Usually i stop the prosess manualy, but iT'S start few times again so i ask u for better Solution.

4 the 1st part of ur answer..is simple..but i need u 2 tell me exactly why u boot with windows from usb?4 what reason?the windows in usb what is it exactly?a virtual bootable windows?or a normal installation windows that u install windows with on the host pc?or what exactly ineed 2 know so i can answer u about the drivers .
2nd part of ur answer about starter windows 7..yes it doesnt have group policy..but its not that much faster than ultimate..its only 5 seconds more in ideal similar conditions on same pc.
3rd part of ur answer is not for me..its amalux..and his reply 2 u was wrong..he thought u talking about slow booting..and seems he didnt read u talk about automatic drivers search and installation.

#10 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 177 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:51 AM

i use "fast installation script..." to install win7 on my usb drive...
Instead of completely delete the drivers I would prefer to incite the search to another place so in case I still want to install drivers i can to navigate to the correct destination

#11 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:56 AM

i use "fast installation script..." to install win7 on my usb drive...
Instead of completely delete the drivers I would prefer to incite the search to another place so in case I still want to install drivers i can to navigate to the correct destination

scripting is not my spesialty..maybe the script devlopers in bootland anser u..sory this is my knowlege limits :worship:

#12 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:08 AM

In Windows XP and Server 2003, you can rename the C:\Windows\Inf\ directory to prevent driver installation. I don't know if that's the case for Windows > Server 2003.

#13 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 177 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:10 AM

scripting is not my spesialty..maybe the script devlopers in bootland anser u..sory this is my knowlege limits :worship:

this script use standerd win7.iso as sourse...
it'S like normal installation but its igNORE the usb boot limitaion...
also i can do standard installation in vmware and use pwboot to path it....

In Windows XP and Server 2003, you can rename the C:\Windows\Inf\ directory to prevent driver installation. I don't know if that's the case for Windows > Server 2003.

Thanks. I will try

Edited by sara - pmedia, 06 December 2010 - 04:15 AM.

#14 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

this script use standerd win7.iso as sourse...
it'S like normal installation but its igNORE the usb boot limitaion...
also i can do standard installation in vmware and use pwboot to path it....

thats kool and very advancd 4 me..as said b4 my knolege is not in scripting..so i no use it..though sound very intrsting :worship:

#15 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 177 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

and edit the answer file not 2 search for drivers

Which file need to edit?

#16 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:00 AM

It's a bit confusing, some talk of booting; some talk of installing; not the same thing of course. I guessed this is 'universal install' on USB and when booting to new PC, tries to install drivers for new found hardware; now seems you're describing a Win7 installer, like NT6FastInstaller or other? Maybe you should explain exactly what you are doing and give example of 'script' or installer or whatever you're using :worship:

#17 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:07 AM

Hi.
I use "Local Group Policy Editor" for something similar.
Look at the attached screenshot...

Edit: After reading more I see now that you have 7Starter on your UFD.
Why not "convert" to 7Ultimate?

Attached Thumbnails

• driver.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users