rebooting Boot Land

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

Webber will not be available any more and we will use a single skin from now on.

Reboot will start with the default skin and we will be working on this look as time passes.

And white background is makes the site hard on the eyes and unpleasant.

Right. Google, youtube and facebook sites that are used by hundreds of millions are applying similar color combinations as well, I guess you don't really use them.

I'm thinking on adding the option for users to choose their CSS style of colors. Not yet an assurance but it is an idea in the works and might help users to choose a color that matches their mood or preference without any need for additional skins.

"reboot" has VERY negative connotations.

I don't think that way. And in fact, people that share the same religious beliefs as yours also share my opinion: http://rebooters.net/

So, I'd suggest you read their site statements just to see the connotation they give to reboot before telling me that it is VERY negative.

There will always be different opinions. We can't and won't ever be able of pleasing every request or preference.

If name opinions were required, or even reasons to object to this idea were asked: I'd just request them in the first place when announcing that we are going to change domain within 9 days from this date.

----------------------------

And Galapo, there is no point in continuing this type of behavior as I've seen you doing for the past months.

If you just intend to keep disrupting things around here to promote your new forum as a better place than our community for "fun, freedom and flexibility" as you like to announce there, then I'd really prefer that you were honest about your intentions here.

Things have already been disrupted with enough wars this year and my patience grows very thin.

#27 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

Reboot will start with the default skin and we will be working on this look as time passes.

Ok, thanks.

Right. Google, youtube and facebook sites that are used by hundreds of millions are applying similar color combinations as well, I guess you don't really use them.

That's correct -- I don't use either YouTube or Facebook. Google only because of need.

But here we're not talking about sites we don't have control over, but our very own Boot-Land. Feel free to skin it how you like, I was just suggesting how it might be improved.

I'm thinking on adding the option for users to choose their CSS style of colors. Not yet an assurance but it is an idea in the works and might help users to choose a color that matches their mood or preference without any need for additional skins.

That's a very interesting suggestion!

So, I'd suggest you read their site statements just to see the connotation they give to reboot before telling me that it is VERY negative.

Well, it's all subjective. I guess my feeling towards the word relates to computer experience, whereas the site you linked to was for some musical site or something. The word probably carries different connotations there and that's fine. I was just commenting as a Boot-Land member, whether anyone at rebooters.net is a Boot-Land member and can comment further on the domain name change.

And Galapo, there is no point in continuing this type of behavior as I've seen you doing for the past months.

Sorry, Nuno, I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. I was just making suggestions same as what Holmes32 and Wonko have done.

If you just intend to keep disrupting things around here to promote your new forum as a better place than our community for "fun, freedom and flexibility" as you like to announce there, then I'd really prefer that you were honest about your intentions here.

Goodness me, where did that come from?! You'll never see me deliberately making disruptions to make some self-promotion. You should know me better by now after these last four years or so. There's no announcement, nor planned announcement. Nor promotion as some better or alternative place to boot-land. Just carrying on development in our own place, that's all.

Further, since the site isn't yet public (well, thanks to you now it has been now publicised), you'll see that the name is still up for grabs. The "fun freedom and flexibility" is just the motto of the new project we're developing and hence if the forum name changes so will that motto. Which means that your concerns about the forum can be relieved.

Regards,
Galapo.

#28 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

Take as example the Winbuilder civil war that flared earlier this year. Several key people were left with both responsibility and power to decide the fate of development and run our forum in a democratic fashion.

Hi Nuno,

I'm not sure why you keep bringing these things up, especially when they contain important inaccuracies.

I'm just wondering who these "several key people" are? As far as I'm aware really only you and psc have the responsibility and power to decide the fate of WinBuilder. No one else has the power over development or otherwise. Everyone else is at the mercy of the developer and there's currently nothing democratic about it, unless that's now changing?

scripts became unbearably heavy and complex

No scripts have become unbearably heavy and complex due to WinBuilder development halting.

Regards,
Galapo.

#29 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:01 AM

http://galapo.net/gena/forum/

Hey, this site looks great! :frusty: , much better than than that crappy one previewed in the first post :hyper:

Any chance we can get one like this for the new Boot-Land, I mean BSOD.com or whatever you've come up with?

:worship:

#30 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:19 AM

Hey, this site looks great!

Well, it's very minimalistic since I've now just disabled guest access until we've finished getting our new project ready for public release. We've needed somewhere to discuss things in a private forum, rather than advertising on boot-land by discussing development here. But given Nuno's slip-up, I take it it's now advertised.

Regards,
Galapo.

#31 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:24 AM

And in fact, people that share the same religious beliefs as yours also share my opinion: http://rebooters.net/

Hi Nuno,

I guess you made another inaccurate statement, and I don't know why on earth you'd bring up something like religious belief. I read the website a little more and note that the people there are Jewish and desire to promote the traditions, culture and identity of the Jewish people. I'm neither Jewish nor share such a belief with them. They'll have quite divergent opinions to me on something as foundational to religious belief as the Messiah.

So basically I'm saying that these people do not share the same religious belief as me, and I certainly don't know what that's got to do with something like a domain name. You'll have to elaborate a bit more. The point is that boot-land is a website fairly well devoted to the discussion of PE projects and associated utils etc. and in this context the word "reboot" caries negative rather positive overtones.

Regards,
Galapo.

#32 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

This was not a statement expected from u, Nuno. And u talked about PROMOTION !!! The site doesn't contain any ads @ the time of my posting. :worship: The total members are 8, right now. The point is, u urself, unwillingly, have done the promotion. Unless u have posted the link publicly, thousands of members like me would not even know its existence before.

#33 wbmdmn

wbmdmn
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Angola

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

1. I think it's necessarily right to be reboot.pro

2. this is a very good idea

3. a new site http://w.bb is phenomenal

great skin - with many details

4. here is very strange, if I may take

the liberty to say - very sick situation - all are against one......and that one is owner/founder

and should be separated from all of you peoples :worship:

God bless Nuno, God bless America :hyper:

#34 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1728 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

I don't think the URL of the site matters. Its the content / presentation that's important. Every time except the first I always access via a saved bookmark.

#35 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

I don't think the URL of the site matters. Its the content / presentation that's important. Every time except the first I always access via a saved bookmark.

I don't think so ....

both are very important :frusty:

build, own, operate, transfer (BOOT)YOU.COM

http://en.wikipedia....perate-transfer

what a content :hyper:

I am going to make portal for managers - this is highly profitable :worship:

#36 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

Name of the site is unimportant for me.

It is Nuno's decision to choose, and IMO no member has the right to contradict.

But I feel to have the right to contradict in color scheme. I agree to Homes32 and Galapo that the black on white is hard to read, and makes the eyes tired after a while.

I personally prefer a light grey background (which a lot of people find ugly). It allows my old eyes many hours of work w/o becoming tired.

Peter

#37 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

choose the right color is a real science:

http://joeclark.org/.../Chapter09.html

White, black, and grey

Should these guidelines nonetheless cramp your literal and figurative style, keep a few things in mind:

White, black, and grey are perceived as such by pretty much anyone on the planet with functional vision (even those surpassingly-rare achromats). Those colours can provide a useful contrast against millions of other shades (and, in one combination or another, with all 216 Web-safe colours). You can mix white, black, and grey with confusable colours if the results, given foreground/background combinations, contrast, and other factors, are actually unconfusable.

You can even use black and red on the same page: Red type on white, white type on black, and white or red on top of each other in either combination.

And to reiterate a previous point, you can use confusable colours all you want if the confusion has no impact on the meaning or function of the site.

There is a small detail: For various physiological reasons, grey actually does become a confusable colour in some unusual combinations, as in the colour triplet magenta–gray–cyan. Now, when was the last time you used that combination? Grey confusability is unlikely to come up very often.

but not only the colors in the game-there is a shading - choice of font and font sizes .......

#38 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1029 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

4. here is very strange, if I may take

the liberty to say - very sick situation - all are against one......and that one is owner/founder

and should be separated from all of you peoples :worship:

this is not "all against one" as you put it. nobody here denys Nuno's right as founder to do what he pleases with his site. I have read nothing here that I would consider to be an attack. we give our opinions because we respect what he as built here and we want the best for the community. by not voicing any concerns we may have we may as well be saying "we don't care what happens here". most of the people who have commented here are people have have donated 100's of hours of their free time to make this site a success. and to not take into consideration any concerns of these people who know the community and how it "ticks" is foolish. taking into consideration does not mean that Nuno has to agree with them, or do anything about them for that matter, but only realize that there is a valid reason that the poster brought them up.

#39 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Name of the site is unimportant for me.

It is Nuno's decision to choose, and IMO no member has the right bto contradict.

Peter

Its not entirely like that. Generally, when many ppl freely contribute their work to a particular open site's prosperity, they have at least moral right to fully understand what their work results are going to be used for. Do you know that now? Just a general note...

#40 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

webber

Webber theme background has EEF2F7 as colour - almost white-it's not hard to put out there, does not change anything
on my old monitor

:worship:

#41 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Generally, when many ppl freely contribute their work to a particular open site's prosperity, they have at least moral right to fully understand what their work results are going to be used for. Do you know that now?

Yes!

And what do you think about the founder's moral real rights? Should he be allowed to decide name / use / ??? of his work? :worship:
I personally until now sent nearly 10.000 contributions to this forum. But I do not claim to have a right to influence Nuno's decisions.

Peter

#42 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

Webber theme background has EEF2F7 as colour - almost white-it's not hard to put out there, does not change anything
on my old monitor

Hi Mikorist,

Webber theme colorref is 00F7F2EE, whereas current default is 00FCFBFA. That's actually rather a large difference even to the eyes.

But it's all relative -- our current best theme on the eyes is Webber theme -- which is why Holmes32, Wonko, Psc, and myself are suggesting it. If the default theme can be improved over and above Webber, well great I'll jump on board with it. But the current background causes eye strain, so Webber is our current better theme in this regard. So it's not that we're hard and fast on Webber per se, we're just suggesting that the current default isn't as user friendly as Webber.

Regards,
Galapo.

#43 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hi Mikorist,

Webber theme colorref is 00F7F2EE, whereas current default is 00FCFBFA. That's actually rather a large difference even to the eyes.

But it's all relative -- our current best theme on the eyes is Webber theme -- which is why Holmes32, Wonko, Psc, and myself are suggesting it. If the default theme can be improved over and above Webber, well great I'll jump on board with it. But the current background causes eye strain, so Webber is our current better theme in this regard. So it's not that we're hard and fast on Webber per se, we're just suggesting that the current default isn't as user friendly as Webber.

Regards,
Galapo.

there is now F7F2EE :worship:

#44 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

Peter, to state that nobody has a right to influence another's decisions is....well....it goes against pretty much all social experience.

ALL of us, you included, influence or try to influence the decisions of others a dozen or a hundred times every single day. That is entirely NORMAL behaviour for any human in any relationship; whether marriage, friendship, with co-workers, or here on a forum.

Nuno, I was quite surprised by your post. It's not often I see you say something irrelevant or meaningless like this...

"Google, youtube, and facebook sites that are used by hundreds of millions are applying similar color combinations as well, I guess you don't really use them."

Nuno, the road I drive home is FULL of potholes :worship: ....it really sucks....yet the entire western half of my region drives on that road every day. In other words (if it's not already obvious) it is entirely irrelevant how many people use google. The usage of a thing says -nothing- about its quality, or desirability.

And in the 2nd place, one almost NEVER uses google like one uses Boot-land. You compare apples to oranges.

Google= 5 seconds at a time
Boot-land= 5 HOURS at a time! :worship:

A bit different in regards to eyestrain, I think.

Like Peter (i think it was), my eyes too are now older (55+), and for those of our age, such things as font-size settability and CHOICE of screen-color DO make a big difference Nuno. A BIG difference. The wrong settings aren't just difficult Nuno....they HURT. Eye-aches, and migraines.

"One size fits all" is essentially a 'non-human' approach....it goes against the -reality- of people. Reality is precisely -opposite- that slogan, in that each one of us has -different- eyes, not -same- eyes.

Thus, for a thing that heavily involves reading, for hours at a time, having CHOICE of visual aspects is a KEY element of a good design.

After you gave me the link the other day, I did go and visit the .bb site; and I'm afraid I did not find it easy to read or use. Yes, the glaring white background indeed hit the eyes wrongly right off the bat.

Seconly, I did not like the info/avatars on the right. BODIES develop habits and training exactly like minds do, and having that stuff on the right -fights- against all the training our eyes have had for many years now. Thus, I found myself having to repeatedly 'push' my eyes sideways against where they 'wanted' to be from long habit. That is a constant 'irritation' and thus a cause of strain, and fatigue.

Third, the width of posts varied back and forth all down the page. It was....disjointed looking.....and again, another source of 'fatigue'....a requirement for extra (and unnecessary) effort.

Fourth, besides the glare-white background, that design lacks contrast -in general-, due to the inter-post delineations having almost no contrast to the bkgnd. This again creates additional -fatigue-, because it forces one to -repeatedly- strain or focus more than normal. The key point is to avoid design-details which require 'effort' again and again and again...

Because of that lack of inter-post delineations, the page becomes one long 'blur' which is difficult to navigate upon.....such as scrolling up and down other posts to verify a file-name, check on a command-switch syntax, etc., etc..

I didn't even know until this moment which 'skin' I'm looking at here, because this board is so easy on the eyes that I've never bothered to see what skins were available for changing to. :worship:

But I've just clicked the drop-down at the bottom, and I see that it's set to 'Webber'....which must be a 'default'. I'm looking at a soft-blue background that is very easy on the eyes, and there is also good contrast in the darker blue inter-post delineations.

And the layout is uncluttered.

It's fine....a good visual design for the intended PURPOSE of this forum; which is reading.

Things that are fine should not be thrown out with the bathwater.

ps; to the poster accusing some of 'attacks'. I saw no such thing in any post. All were respectful and courteous, and all included reasoning WHY they held the view being presented. Exactly the kind of posts one HOPES to see on their forum. :worship:

#45 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

there is now F7F2EE :worship:

Hi Mikorist,

Sorry, I might have confused you. You've actually applied my colorref number as html. Can you try instead html #EEF2F7?

Thanks,
Galapo.

#46 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hi Mikorist,

You're quick on adjusting!

The website is immediately more easier to read for me. Let's see what other think.

Thanks,
Galapo.

#47 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hi Mikorist,

Sorry, I might have confused you. You've actually applied my colorref number as html. Can you try instead html #EEF2F7?

Thanks,
Galapo.

done

also all fonts are :

color: rgb(9%,9%,9%);

#48 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:32 AM

Seconly, I did not like the info/avatars on the right.

The original Nuno idea is to be between posts because text - to utilize every inch of space :worship:

but we have text around (info/avatars) in any case now .... topic is going to wide screen after 5 post on page :worship:

#49 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

Hi Mikorist,

You're quick on adjusting!

The website is immediately more easier to read for me. Let's see what other think.

Thanks,
Galapo.

worked 6-10 hours 15 days - to make this skin

from draft here in first post....and not just a skin there are many things that can not be seen :worship:

#50 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

hi Mikorist, :worship:

I don't quite understand why it would switch from one width to another after '5 posts'.....but I will just wait a week and look at it again after this revision 'settles' a bit I guess.

grub

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users