#1 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

Could you explain guys, is there an easy way to select a portion of a post and have it quoted in your Reply? Simply Select - Quote - Enjoy. If not, can such function be added, as its available on many forums. Its extremely inconvenient to edit a someone's post full quote (a copy) every time you want to address a small portion of it in your reply.

Another thing is, how Multiquote works? What does it do exactly or supposed to do, and how to accomplish that? Again, if not available, can a Multiquote be added in a sense, where selected portions of several posts can be added one after another into one's reply?

Also, if I need to attach a bigger file then 2MB, what exchange server would you suggest, where a downloaded file won't be deleted within a predefined short time?

#2 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:49 AM

Its extremely inconvenient to edit a someone's post full quote (a copy) every time you want to address a small portion of it in your reply.

Why do u COPY the posts? Hit RELPY at the end of the post u want to reply to. The entire post will be quoted in the editor. Then delete the unnecessary part.

Another thing is, how Multiquote works?

The multi-quote feature allows users to tag multiple posts that they wish to respond to by clicking the MULTIQUOTE button on each post. The post for which u hit the MULTIQUOTE button (the button for the MULTIQUOTED posts will turn green), gets quoted automatically as u clicks the ADD REPLY button at the end of the thread (not the REPLY button at the end of the post).

Also, if I need to attach a bigger file then 2MB, what exchange server would you suggest, where a downloaded file won't be deleted within a predefined short time?

I prefer to use 4shared as it provides a desktop uploader even for free accounts.

#3 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

Thanks!

I get it from your reply, there is currently no forum feature that would allow to quote a selected text portion into your reply. Then I ask the forum admin to consider adding such feature, since it would make it a lot easier to reply to someone's post. You select a text in that post, hit "Quote" or similar dedicated link or button, and the selected text ONLY is properly quoted into the reply field. Then you select another text portion in the same or a different post, hit the above button again in that post, and its also copied into your single reply at the end of it. No need to edit quoted text every time.

If required, I can suggest some forums where such feature is implemented, and it works wonders in terms of convenience.

As to 4shared server you mentioned, do you know if it keeps uploaded files unlimited time on free accounts so they remain accessible to others?

#4 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hi,

You select a text in that post, hit "Quote" or similar dedicated link or button, and the selected text ONLY is properly quoted into the reply field. Then you select another text portion in the same or a different post, hit the above button again in that post, and its also copied into your single reply at the end of it. No need to edit quoted text every time.

Sorry, but we won't add such feature anywhere soon because:
  • Not enough expertise to implement this feature on our own
  • Not enough free time to learn it anyways
  • Low priority in relation to other tasks already on the waiting list
  • No noticeable volunteers to provide the modification you suggest
  • Not enough people requesting this same feature
  • The board software will soon be upgraded and break any modification in either case

This is the current scenario that your request is compared against. Perhaps it can change in the future, but for now it won't be put on the waiting list unless you volunteer yourself to program it or hire someone capable of doing this change.

In the meanwhile, it remains fairly simple to identify each quote. Just add an equal sign followed by the username you want to quote like
[quote=nuno]bla, bla[/quote]

The end result is:

bla, bla

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

Just add an equal sign followed by the username you want to quote like

[quote=nuno]bla, bla[/quote]

:cheers:
[German]Du wirst so alt wie eine Kuh, und lernst immer noch dazu![/German]
Thanks for the hint! I needed it often in the past and fullfilled by removing from "Reply" everything I did not need.
In future this becomes faster!

Peter :cheers:

#6 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

• The board software will soon be upgraded and break any modification in either case

Don't know what software we use here (and as always, different SW has different features), but if we are going to "upgrade", then maybe this could just be on the wish list for things to consider...

#7 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi Sbaeder.

Don't know what software we use here (and as always, different SW has different features)

We use IP.Board version 2.x and will soon upgrade to the 3.x series. It has been over two years since the new generation has surfaced. Most of the initial defects of 3.x have already been ironed out by early adopters.

but if we are going to "upgrade", then maybe this could just be on the wish list for things to consider...

Well, I've already listed the reasons against and now I'm waiting for the time to be proven wrong.

There is an interesting chapter from 37signals that might explain why I tend to resist new features until there is enough public demand:

Make features work hard to be implemented
The secret to building half a product instead of a half-ass product is saying no.

Each time you say yes to a feature, you're adopting a child. You have to take your baby through a whole chain of events (e.g. design, implementation, testing, etc.). And once that feature's out there, you're stuck with it. Just try to take a released feature away from customers and see how pissed off they get.

Don't be a yes-man
Make each feature work hard to be implemented. Make each feature prove itself and show that it's a survivor. It's like "Fight Club." You should only consider features if they're willing to stand on the porch for three days waiting to be let in.

That's why you start with no. Every new feature request that comes to us — or from us — meets a no. We listen but don't act. The initial response is "not now." If a request for a feature keeps coming back, that's when we know it's time to take a deeper look. Then, and only then, do we start considering the feature for real.

http://gettingreal.3...art_With_No.php

The rest of book sometimes goes to extreme positions, but in overall I believe it describes very well some of the hazards felt of featurabilis: http://gettingreal.3...als.com/toc.php

If this custom copy & paste only benefits one user and nobody else would be aware of its existence or see any usefulness, does it really justify the effort on our end to promise it one day?

#8 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

Nuno,

I like your "bla bla" example. :cheers: Its deficient however, failing to provide a definite quote source. :cheers:

Being serious, common, don't you want ppl reply to each other with easy? Its all coming to your (sorry the Board) benefit anyway... Its also the intelligent solution to obvious common inconvenience. Don't expect too many ppl asking for something, seldom seen before in other places. Generally, look at share of ppl coming with ANY improvement proposals to a total number of visitors. Thats how it goes in life...

I have to admit, a lot of JS running around this board, making it a lot more informative than usual. :cheers:

#9 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

I'm being honest. The idea doesn't convince me to allocate resources onto its implementation and I'd also more impressed with facts rather than just your word that this is the "intelligent solution".

Facts I'd like to see (as example):
- more people demanding the feature
- a substantial number of votes in favor
- a comparison on the number of bulletin boards software that provide that feature vs those that don't
- and so on.

Nevertheless, I will keep your suggestion in mind if I find a pre-built plugin that can be added to the forum software.

#10 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:00 AM

If this custom copy & paste only benefits one user and nobody else would be aware of its existence or see any usefulness, does it really justify the effort on our end to promise it one day?

Agree ... My point wasn't to promise it, but to keep it in the back of our minds and WHEN there is demand (or anyone else looking to see if anyone else had suggested it), it isn't as if each new person is making a comment "from scratch".

Sometimes just seeing a list of "good ideas" (but not enough demand) will spark someone else to say - "YES, that would be useful". Nowhere did I intend to suggest we make any promise about delivery. BUT, on the other hand, even taking your quotes into account, if it is already available, then the ROI might be justified...

I think that is also what you eventually said... :cheers:

#11 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

And my point was to implement the idea ASAP without being ever promised. ;)

Nuno, I see you're at finishing your Master's now, so do understand your situation better. How about instituting Bootland Advisory Board ( :cheers:) comprised of most competent heavily posted well recognized members with noted accomplishments, with whom you would gladly share your admin powers (OMG)? :cheers: Does similar Mission exist already? Among other things the Board can look at the forum improvement proposals on ongoing basis, and present you recommendations (that sounds better), some mandatory to implement with set deadlines and ppl responsible (volunteers), unless an abundant evidence is then presented against it.

What I mean, to introduce some democracy elements on this board without loosing control. Hope they teach how to do it in your "best" school in those "ppl managing" classes. Do they? :cheers:

May I also suggest to add some Board History Notes section or sticky? Was looking for it, but lost hope to find. The Board is quite popular, don't be surprised ppl looking for its history in the making, and more info about some personalities behind it, also in historical prospective.

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14758 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

May I also suggest to add some Board History Notes section or sticky? Was looking for it, but lost hope to find. The Board is quite popular, don't be surprised ppl looking for its history in the making, and more info about some personalities behind it, also in historical prospective.

JFYI
Some info:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2398
http://www.boot-land...?...c=2399&st=6

:frusty:
Wonko

#13 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

What I mean, to introduce some democracy elements on this board without loosing control.

Hmm.. so you propose to introduce democracy in the boot disk empire? :frusty:

Those in the rebel alliance are already enjoying democracy. Perfectly unable of ever reaching consensus between themselves. Therefore, I can only assume that such concept becomes counter productive when a course of action is needed.

Nevertheless, some idealists (rebels) still try their luck every now and then, we always take good care of such ideas. :worship:

Does similar Mission exist already? Among other things the Board can look at the forum improvement proposals on ongoing basis, and present you recommendations (that sounds better), some mandatory to implement with set deadlines and ppl responsible (volunteers), unless an abundant evidence is then presented against it.

I remember some years ago to see an influent vulcan proposing logical improvements in the forum but few people listened. The chaotic side of the force is far too tempting for reason and logic to prevail in this domain.

How about instituting Bootland Advisory Board comprised of most competent heavily posted well recognized members with noted accomplishments, with whom you would gladly share your admin powers (OMG)?

Do you mean something like an advisory council?

There are others who share the administration privilege, however, you will need to win the hearts of the population. Only they can support your motion for the custom-quote request as I have said in previous posts.

#14 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

Are you suggesting to call a Referendum?

Carefully formulated questions list would contain:

- Do you support introducing democracy in Boot Empire by electing Advisory Board?
- Do you quote selected text in your reply more often then a full post you reply to?

See, the problem is, what are you going to do, if they say YES to both? :frusty:

#15 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:04 AM

See, the problem is, what are you going to do, if they say YES to both?

If you get enough motion to lead the rebels and convince them that a custom-copy is needed, fine.

Or you can use 10 bucks and hire a coder to implement that feature for IP.Board.

Whichever way you prefer is fine by me.

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14758 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

We have a poll now! :smart:

http://www.boot-land...?...c=13237&hl=

Since I was unsure :worship: I voted BOTH options :worship:, just to signify that I would vote for NEITHER of them :frusty: and that polls like that should be made with radio buttons as opposed to checkboxes. :smart:

This is deceiving:

I prefer to quote the whole post I want to answer, then edit the quote to leave just the question I want to answer. If I want to answer another question, I prefer to quote the whole post again, then edit it again to leave just another question I want to answer.

It allows NOT for the "third" way:
  • click on the Reply button
  • select entire Quote
  • Copy
  • Edit the quoted part of the post deleting whatever you don't need inside the quote
  • Write whatever reply
  • If needed Paste and loop to #4

We miss a Video, now. :worship:

:worship:
Wonko

#17 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

I was looking to use Choice Buttons (i.e. Radio Buttons), but couldn't find those. May be you can show the way...

The second choice is not an overstatement (i.e. "deceiving") for most unexperienced users (including carpenters). Yet pls read the whole Poll comment again. :worship:

Where & how one can hire a programmer for 10 bucks? Hope we have those bucks somewhere in Samoa... :worship:

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14758 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

I was looking to use Choice Buttons (i.e. Radio Buttons), but couldn't find those. May be you can show the way...

When you start a poll there is a checkbox (UNchecked by default):

Multiple choice question? (Allows users to select more than one choice)

that you must have checked manually. :worship:

:worship:
Wonko

#19 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

Where & how one can hire a programmer for 10 bucks? Hope we have those bucks somewhere in Samoa.

The benefits of globalization, try digital point:
http://forums.digita...splay.php?f=103

One tip of advice, don't pay before you fully test the plugin and get it on your side of the Internet.

We miss a Video, now

+1 Good suggestion.

#20 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the tip, it may be useful for many. That was just a generic question. Generally, I don't think, ANY suggestion should be subject of a fight, just of friendly consideration. And implementation at some point, if it makes sense. :worship:

Even if every poll shows that users (on statistical scale) don't care about ANY improvements, that's the burden usually delegated to admins anyway.

Just another thought: I'm relatively new to this Board, and still find it difficult to get oriented around it. There may be some improvements needed on how the Board is structured, or its structure is presented, or how novices are directed around it (similar to a special approach used to design and place Subway and Road signs). Easier orientation may be more efficient improvement in terms of popularity grows compare to shortening its IP address. :worship:

#21 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

Easier orientation may be more efficient improvement in terms of popularity grows compare to shortening its IP address.

It takes faith in the future.
6p4T7_XI7WM

#22 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

WRl6Nf4LGTk

#23 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:25 AM

Someone has abused his unfair privileges to override forum settings, and posted his comment directly in the Poll despite comments were specifically disallowed in that thread to block attempts of directly influencing free voters choice at the time the vote occurs. And the discussion thread link was clearly posted there.

Why some ppl are allowed to abuse there access privileges to forum features (without even being a moderator) and suddenly start posting without regard to others in places where posting was disallowed by the thread author?

Why they have such privileges in the first place?

I kindly ask the Admin to remove that unfair to all forum members post in the Poll, and also explain why such attempts to bypass forum features are successful? Who allowed that member such backdoor access to someone's Poll? For what reason, on what grounds?

#24 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

81 people on this forum have moderation powers. Those promoted to the levels of developers or tutorial writers inherit this feature.

This allows us to manage pinned topics, move topics to more appropriate areas and so on.

Despite the many discussions going around here on daily basis, those with moderation skills are civilized enough to respect the boundaries and other people.

On the case of Peter, I honestly believe it was just a lapse, not noting that the topic was closed.

Many would say that giving this much power to so many people is a recipe for disaster. I am proud that this community proves otherwise.

:lol:

#25 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:46 AM

Thanks Nuno!

OMG - it sound like a shocking revelation - probably the result of enormous number of visitors to take care of. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users