#1 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Seems like since the demise of the original winbuilder site, we have lost some of the pointers to the varios areas hosting scripts and other "goodies". Yes, you can find them if you know where to look, but even for thigns like the excellent work being done on the Win7PE_SE, the updates are a full download each time. Yes, it's not overly large, etc., BUT a way to get this project to be more "official" would be nice.

So, this is really more of a question - is there a process? and if so, where is it documented - I tried looking around and didn't find it - probably just can't figure out the right thing to look for :) OR if it's not a process, can (should?) w create one?

Thanks
Scott

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi sbaeder,

Since project under heavy development which you know closely, I agree with ChrisR decision of publishing packages (he wrote in topic with reasons),
I only requested ChrisR publishing a bit more frequently in the past (again in topic), and I guess next package will be (maybe) this weekend (up to ChrisR)

Besides reasons of ChrisR, Multi7PE's popularity in the past (Thanks to JFX),
and Make_PE3 Great Success today (thanks to wimb)
and even UBCDWin popularity
also proves ChrisR right.

Besides above, To have development easier and maybe to publish some tutorials + some other benefits,
I made a request to have Win7PE_SE.winbuilder.net to Nuno,
Request was rejected by Nuno (since he did not like the name !), so nothing to do at this side for today.
But tomorrow :).
:D

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:11 PM

Hello,

We are tending towards a more package like distribution instead of relying entirely on the download center, whose focus will tend to deliver updates to scripts and addons per user request.

I made a request to have Win7PE_SE.winbuilder.net to Nuno,
Request was rejected by Nuno (since he did not like the name !), so nothing to do at this side for today.

Actually, you suggested win7pese.

And you might as well tell the rest of the story and my reply at the time:

Hi Lancelot,

Instead of assigning win7pese I've made available to your account the original win7pe.winbuider.net domain, I've done this for several reasons in specific:
- win7pese is not a good name to read when using lower case and lack of spaces
- We already have more than enough win7pe-type of projects and none actively uses the win7pe title
- This project is a good candidate to become the base for the win7 platform
- JFX won't certainly mind to see you and others keeping this project alive and well
- We avoid Win7PE from becoming a outdated like VistaPE did.

So, let there be a good Win7PE project.

I really don't like the designation of "pese". What I suggested as alternative was using the original designation of Win7PE since the project is a genuine derivation from yahooUK's and later JFK work while also renaming Multi7PE onto a more fit designation of MultiPE since it also supports Vista/WAIK.

That is something that makes life easier: Meaningful names.

Both ChrisR and YahooUK agreed to this change and you already have control of the http://win7pe.winbuilder.net subdomain on your dropbox account. This is also the reason why you see a new multiPE forum section inside winbuilder.

My patience is running short with this constant bickering, Lancelot. I would appreciate if on the next time you tell the whole story and present the reasons why I objected the proposed name. :)

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi Nuno,

My patience is running short with this constant bickering, Lancelot. I would appreciate if on the next time you tell the whole story and present the reasons why I objected the proposed name. :)

Constant bickering, where do I have posts around for such goal ????? I believe you mixed with another member.

Actually, you suggested win7pese.

Initially win7pese but quickly changed request to Win7PE_SE.winbuilder.net (to have more accurate naming following project folder name), but this does not matter since you mainly do not like "SE" in name.

I guess you like forgetting or writing all story to underline your thoughts.
(If required you can publish all conversation related to this)

Let me Remind you:

since the project is a genuine derivation from yahooUK's and later JFK work while also renaming Multi7PE

Which as you can remember you learned from me.

I really don't like the designation of "pese". What I suggested as alternative was using the original designation of Win7PE

It is your 'personal' choice, which was not neither JFX nor ChrisR.
JFX showing respect to yahoouk's project put SE to his project name,
ChrisR showing respect to JFX's project + yahoouk's project put SE to his project name.

onto a more fit designation of MultiPE since it also supports Vista/WAIK.

It is again your 'personal' choice (and mine too, but not related),
The choice of project Admins when giving name are more important when it comes to projects (at least to me)
Both JFX and yahoouk decided to put "7" to their project names to get project name intuitive to new users,
like you naming LiveXP.
Maybe you remember my words "intuitive vs accuracy"

That is something that makes life easier: Meaningful names.

And about Meaningful names: Hiren is a meaningful name to all around, as well as BartPE, as well as UBCDWin as well as FireFox, as well as Opera....
Besides intuitive naming with the actual meaning of the word is your preference, products on internet proves not only me but many other developments do not share your thoughts.

Well over all, intuitive naming or not etc. is nothing to discuss, it is only a personal choice and in the end project admin's choice. My only princaple is "Avoiding Wrong Naming" when possible.

Both ChrisR and YahooUK agreed to this change and you already have control of the http://win7pe.winbuilder.net subdomain on your dropbox account. This is also the reason why you see a new multiPE forum section inside winbuilder.

I am not sure about ChrisR final decision, I will ask him.
Also I was not informed YahooUK agreed such change, so I did not touch any bit on server yet, I will ask him.

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

My only princaple is "Avoiding Wrong Naming" when possible.

Good, we share similar principles then.

Now let's get back to work.

#6 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

:) Yes, I am very aware of why things like Win7PE_SE aren't in a web based distribution...and the "history"...:D

Suggestion to ALL...always assume that the other has the BEST of intentions, no matter the past history... :D

We are tending towards a more package like distribution instead of relying entirely on the download center, whose focus will tend to deliver updates to scripts and addons per user request.

Can you explain this a bit more...I agree that a complete DL is also a nice thing to have, but also like the ide of the DL center - maybe not just in this case, since my original comment was meant to be more GENERIC, and not just w.r.t. Win7PE_SE or even the MultiPE or any other specific project.

There are a lot of smaller projects that will want to stay smaller, and there are a lot of scripts already out there in the winbuilder domains. Finding them and even organizing them by what they work with or assume is what I was originally trying to address as a question...

It just seems more like it is harder to manage things in an active (but personally modified) copy of a project when you have to redownload all the tools...And not to get into the whole "warez" debate and are we following 100% all the restrictions of a particular "copyright", but some of the larger project based DLs include tools that really should be separate...Again, not trying to thro stones or anything. I think we ALL (for the most part except maybe a real NOOB) try to do the right thing.

:)

So, it was just a question that seemed to follow on from PSC's request to remove some projects from the default ini file and also on the direction and organization of things (like where do the "downloads" os various scripts really belong...

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

There are a lot of smaller projects that will want to stay smaller, and there are a lot of scripts already out there in the winbuilder domains. Finding them and even organizing them by what they work with or assume is what I was originally trying to address as a question...

On the winbuilder.net site there used to be downloads available for a static sample of most projects ever available. This way people could unzip and try it out.

In good truth, anyone can create custom download centers. Just distribute winbuilder.exe along with a winbuilder.ini that contains your custom list of servers there. Inside the tools section on winbuilder.exe exists the tool required to create a list of files that will be available on the project server for download.

As for organizing all of this onto a single place where people can see them, it would require a volunteer and I can provide the available packages on my archive.

Does this answer you question?

#8 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:20 PM

Does this answer you question?

Yes - in other words Put up or shut up :) And I mean that in a good way...Let me noodle on it, since that is a pretty big task (might need a reall "hulk") :)

p.s. Thanks for all you DO! :D I know a lot of us think it, but not enough say it. I easpecially admired the recent email on the MSE program...If I was 30 years younger :D

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

Yes - in other words Put up or shut up :) And I mean that in a good way...Let me noodle on it, since that is a pretty big task (might need a reall "hulk") :)

Yes, sorry as no better option seems available for the moment.

p.s. Thanks for all you DO! :D I know a lot of us think it, but not enough say it. I especially admired the recent email on the MSE program...If I was 30 years younger :D

Actually, there are two students here that are well above their forties. Age and professional experience will count as an asset, not as a drawback so you're really welcome to join or invite other people that can benefit from this.

Don't know for how long our government will keep sponsoring the tuitions so this is a good time to use the opportunity while it lasts.

Also, we have good food, nice weather and good coffee. (don't believe what those Italian folks say about it..)

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users