Photo
- - - - -

Some doubts About learning process (Universal xp image)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 174 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

From what I understand "IMG_XP_by_Wimb" way is the only one can really build universal usb image.
I want to build the best possible universal image and only then restore it on my usb.

i want make smallest as possible image (For ability to use learning process on 1GB ram machine) so i use lite-xp source.

Each time i'm boot different PC install drivers with driver force (full DriverPack Dir) and use "update_img" but Each time Image size will be larger... (about 50mb more)...

1. Do I really have to install all drivers including {sound, LAN, wireless, VGA, Bluetooth,modem,ect....} (They very increase the image) Or maybe enough just to wait for the system is self-installs the necessary?

2. From what I checked, Not enough to do the learning process on "Little different hardware" You must do this each chipset/model.... Otherwise it does not work. Maybe someone here can make and share with us a package which will include updates to the registry and files necessary for different types of hardware???

Thanks everyone and especially Wimb :)

#2 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

i dont understand one thing ,

you have a .IMG file stored on your USB drive and you boot from that usb on DIFFERENT hardware ?

AND , what does it mean

Each time i'm boot different PC install drivers with driver force (full DriverPack Dir) and use "update_img" but Each time Image size will be larger... (about 50mb more)...

can you explain above lines with detail , how you used the driver pack dir while booting the image .

#3 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 174 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

yes, i boot my .img from usb to ram on many difrent machine for make it universal...
after the xp logon and finish detect&install the hardware i'm use driverforce to Install the remaining hardware
My question is if i can make the learning process when the system once finished up or really all other drivers must be installed?
I ask this because I want to keep a small img as possible

#4 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 174 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Can anyone help me please? :D wimb? wonko? anyone?

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14822 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Can anyone help me please? :D wimb? wonko? anyone?

That's wimb's "field".

Obviously if you post a question about his app in the grub4dos Forum, it is UNlikely he will ever notice it. :D

Maybe if you post here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9830

a brief sum up of your current progress and a link to here, he may have an occasion to see it and help you.

:D
Wonko

#6 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

If you ever intend for the image to be booted directly from an HDD on the target system, you will want to make sure that the storage adapter drivers get installed during the learning process. If you wish to remote control a target system, you'll wish to ensure that the network drivers are installed. If you want to see what you're doing with nice resolution, you'll wish to ensure that display adapter drivers are installed. If you wish to type at the keyboard, you'll wish to ensure that if it's attached by USB, USB drivers are installed. If minimality is your goal, I'd leave out pretty much anything else. I'd probably leave out display drivers. I use a 204 MB Windows XP Pro SP2 RAM disk image on various hardware. It is not a PE.

#7 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 174 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:19 AM

I use a 204 MB Windows XP Pro SP2 RAM disk image on various hardware. It is not a PE.

204mb?? You gotta be kidding. How did you reduce it so?
Another thing is that "make_img" supports minimum of 400 MB images.... (even the mothyfied version...)
how to you do that?

#8 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:40 AM

My question is if i can make the learning process when the system once finished up or really all other drivers must be installed?
I ask this because I want to keep a small img as possible

That is a matter of personal preference .....
I would prefer to install all missing drivers for the machines where I would like to boot from USB.

#9 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 174 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:06 AM

That is a matter of personal preference .....
I would prefer to install all missing drivers for the machines where I would like to boot from USB.

My goal in the learning process is just that the system be able to boot later from usb ... only after i deside its Enough universal i'm going to restore it to my usb and only then i install all extra drivers and apps...

#10 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

204mb?? You gotta be kidding. How did you reduce it so?
Another thing is that "make_img" supports minimum of 400 MB images.... (even the mothyfied version...)
how to you do that?

My HDD image file is 214,695,936 bytes, or 419,328 512-byte sectors. It has a single NTFS partition, marked as the boot partition. NTFS compression is enabled for all files and folders on the filesystem, except for NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM. Attached is a batch file to populate the filesystem from another filesystem that has Windows XP SP2 installed. Change the source and destination path appropriately. You'll want the source filesystem to have WinVBlock installed, or you'll have to add the path to the Firadisk driver as one of the filenames in the list of files.

Sorry for the off-topic, wimb. :cheers:

Attached Files

#11 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 174 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

My HDD image file is 214,695,936 bytes, or 419,328 512-byte sectors. It has a single NTFS partition, marked as the boot partition. NTFS compression is enabled for all files and folders on the filesystem, except for NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM. Attached is a batch file to populate the filesystem from another filesystem that has Windows XP SP2 installed. Change the source and destination path appropriately. You'll want the source filesystem to have WinVBlock installed, or you'll have to add the path to the Firadisk driver as one of the filenames in the list of files.

Sorry for the off-topic, wimb. :cheers:

Just tell me if I understood you well ...

1. install win xp sp2 (i will use vmware with 1 ntfs partition)
2. use administrator as Single user (So it seems from your list)
3. run from Different os (i will use win7 or xpe)
4. rename xp_ram.txt to xp_ram.bat and change the source line to corent value
5. run the script
6. now, when i will finish grub the files , how do i make the img? [make_img support minimum 400mb]

#12 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Just tell me if I understood you well ...

1. install win xp sp2 (i will use vmware with 1 ntfs partition)

Sure!

2. use administrator as Single user (So it seems from your list)

Good guess!

3. run from Different os (i will use win7 or xpe)

Right! Or simply attach the VMware .VMDK file to your hosting OS with something like VDK. Then maybe it would get drive letter E: (or something else).

4. rename xp_ram.txt to xp_ram.bat and change the source line to corent value

RamXP.txt to RamXP.bat, but close. Changing the source and destination is critical! I accidentally left the destination as C:, which is not likely a good idea! Basically, you'd attach your VM's HDD to whatever OS you're running with (you said Win7 or XPE) and give it a drive letter, let's say E:. Change the source in the batch file to E:, to pull from the VM you installed XP on.

5. run the script

Oh, not quite. You make your final image file first, then attach it, maybe drive letter F:, then change the destination in the batch file to F:.

6. now, when i will finish grub the files , how do i make the img? [make_img support minimum 400mb]

This actually comes before step 5, since you are using Windows 7 (maybe) to copy from an installed XP to a small image file XP.

I think that it's too off-topic for wimb's fine thread. wimb has put good effort into this stuff already and I'd only recommend experimentation if you get bored or want a challenge that hasn't already been addressed by wimb's work. :cheers:

#13 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 174 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

Thanks a lot I've been waiting to try it ... :cheers:

#14 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 174 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

You'll want the source filesystem to have WinVBlock installed, or you'll have to add the path to the Firadisk driver as one of the filenames in the list of files.

I could not find an explanation how to install WinVBlock. So maybe you tell me how to add firadisk to your script? :cheers:

Edited by sara - pmedia, 01 December 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#15 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

I could not find an explanation how to install WinVBlock. So maybe you tell me how to add firadisk to your script? :cheers:

The first post of the WinVBlock thread contains a link to a download. In that download is a ReadMe.txt file. That explains how to install it.

If you wish to install Firadisk instead, install it into the Windows you will be copying files from, and add the path to the driver to the batch file. Most likely something like:
\Windows\System32\Drivers\Firadisk.sys
Remember to change the source and destination paths!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users