#26 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

We are all multitasking all the time - are we? Didn't expect you to be overloaded that easy. Sha0 didn't say that. QEMU isn't fine, since the ISOs are on system drive I boot from on a real PC. May be its time for a break...

Edited by sambul61, 30 November 2010 - 09:20 PM.

#27 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13745 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

We are all multitasking all the time - are we? Didn't expect you to be overloaded that easy. Sha0 didn't say that. May be its time for a break...

Sure :cheers: , I'll take a selective one :cheers:.

Break from any further question/problem coming from sambul61 until he will start to post them with an order, one at the time, in the right place and with the needed details. :cheers:

:)
Wonko

#28 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:29 AM

OK guys,

I'm back from the break , and wanted to wrap up this issue discussion. Here are the last pics - that's the best I can do under the circumstances. :cheers:

Acronis ISO directory at 400Gb
Paragon ISO directory at 400Gb
Acronis ISO at 1.3GB

First two pics show dir content of the ISOs in question. The problem was clearly described in the 1-st post of this thread, and detailed in 16th. To make long story short, these ISOs boot when using find --set root (before mapping), and they don't boot when directly mapped to despite both are loaded, and their content correctly listed. It only happens on a Logical volume, which starts at 400Gb. Both boot correctly from a Primary volume on another drive that starts also at 400Gb. The test is easy to reproduce: both trial ISOs can be downloaded from their respective websites (all latest versions of each have similar backing when it comes to boot). They were used only for various tests and then deleted.

The 3-d pic shows same Acronis ISO located on a Logical partition of a 2Tb drive at about 1.3 Tb. The error when using "find" is E15 - File not found. When using direct mapping, the error is E16 - Inconsistent File System Structure. This 2Tb case seems to fall under "too far away" category. Grub4DOS seems to look on floppy for this file after its not found elsewhere.

Since I no longer have those files, the case is unfortunately closed. :cheers:

Edited by sambul61, 01 December 2010 - 04:40 AM.

#29 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 453 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

tinybit

Sorry if it's a bit off topic, but Grub4DOS bugs related nonetheless. Can you comment in its thread on this bug revealed when booting an ISO from a logical volume on an extended partition? Any suggestions, workarounds, bug fixes expected? :worship:

You said the is closed but you still talk about it in other thread. :hyper:
Then it is OK to continue this thread.

Please try create a small primary or logical partition near the end of the disk (after the problematic logical partition).
Format with FAT16. Create a small text file in it.
And boot DOS.
Can you read that text file in DOS ?

#30 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:06 PM

I asked tinybit to look at this thread, since it contains all the info in my view required to reproduce the same bug on another PC.

I can look at your request too, but don't have DOS installed on any of my HDs. Will it be equivalent for the test to boot from a FreeDOS floppy image in RAM, and then read the text file you mentioned? I just want to help resolving this bug, that's it. Now, if I boot from that floppy image, should I also add NTFS support to it, so that all my volumes on each drive were accessible from that image to have equivalent test conditions?

#31 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 453 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

The bug is still not confirmed.
Your investigation can help determine if this is GRUB4DOS bug.
You may use MS-DOS or FreeDOS from hard disk or floppy or RAM drive. It does not matter.

Here is another test, please try the latest experimental GRUB4DOS ( grub4dos-0.4.5b-2010-12-12-fix.zip from http://code.google.c.../downloads/list )
Try map --mem command. Is there any error message when you map --mem ISO or IMG files in logical partition.

#32 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hi karyonix,

Sorry for some delay. I've recovered the deleted files to finish this testing. Repeated tests again with current Grub4DOS release and get the same result: both files booted from a Logical partition with find --set root, but didn't boot with direct drive mapping after being read to RAM.

Then I replaced grldr (and grldr.mbr respectively in one of auxiliary ISOs, not being tested here) with the latest build files of 12.17.10 and retested: both ISOs booted flawlessly with direct mapping. Hence, this bug appears to have been fixed. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users