4 replies to this topic

#1 pathtowealth

pathtowealth
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 which was on Vista. I had issues as it had stopped receiving the automatic updates and then the system crashed and I could not login. I have now tried safe mode with networking and no success. My son ran a Dell Restore Image to factory and still cannot get into it.

I have 2 discs Drivers & utilities Already Installed Contents: Device Drivers and Diagnostics and Utilities and the second disc is Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Basic 32BIT

With running F12 option which disc should I use in the CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive to try and get it going again: I have run it with theWindows Reinstallation and get Windows is loading files and then screen goes blank and eventually opens to Install Windows screen where I select country format etc. Try Repair Computer and go to System Recovery Options. An operating system does not show so I hit next giving me; Startup Repair : System Restore: Windows Complete PC Restore: Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool: Command Prompt and none of these options solve anything. If I take the other option to Select Drivers the Disc contents open but no matter which item I select it says driver not recognised.

I have run the full system test on F2 satisfactorily.

Can anyone give any suggestions please

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

My son ran a Dell Restore Image to factory and still cannot get into it.

That's the most strange part.
Was the machine "updated" in hardware?
(Like a new graphic card or whatever)?

A recovery image should bring the PC to the same EXACT state it was when delivered (and you would lose any and all data and installed programs since).

It looks like some kind of problem with the hard disk, or the Restore Image didn't work/wasn't applied, for any reason.

My advice would be to STOP fiddling with the drive on that machine, take it out of it and check it offline (attached to another booted machine) to seee what is actually on the drive. (and posssibly save whatever data you may have not backed up that may still be recoverable).

:hi:
Wonko

#3 pathtowealth

pathtowealth
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hi Wonko
Many thanks for your suggestion.
Nothing had been added to the laptop however when I started doing the Fixes I got error to disable an attached drive like camera.
I will proceed to remove hard drive and attempt testing it via a PC

Wilson

#4 pathtowealth

pathtowealth
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Thank you for the help I have followed it all through and am happy to say I have now managed to re-install Windows.
Really appreciate suggestions.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

Happy all ended well, though the "cause" remainds unknown.

:hi:
Wonko

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users