• Validating
  • 3 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:25 AM

Hi
I tried to install ubuntu 64bit os on virtual box .I got a message that
(This kernal requires an
x86-64 CPU , but only detected an i686 cpu . Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.)
am using 64bit 10.04 ubuntu os . AMD athlone ™ II x2 240 processor. 4 GB Ram.

And how can i post image here ....?

#2 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

Hi
(This kernal requires an
x86-64 CPU , but only detected an i686 cpu . Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.)

Which processor do u use?
I don't know whether it's possible to emulate 64 bit OS on 32 bit hardware by some trick, but u can do the other way round. Again, not sure about VirtualBox, but VMware provides a way to do so. In the VM creation wizard, when the wizards asks about Guest Operating System , select 'Other' radio button & the 'Other 64 bit' from the drop down.

Host the image in external file/image hosting site like http://imageshack.us & insert the link using 'Insert Image' button residing on the toolbar of your text editor. The site I mentioned provides image hosting faclity to both anonymous & registered users & provides a desktop uploader even for free users.

#3 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

Hi
(This kernal requires an
am using 64bit 10.04 ubuntu os . AMD athlone ™ II x2 240 processor. 4 GB Ram.

Did you mean a screen shot? Make sure you are enabling all of the proper Hardware virtualization in the Bios? On AMD this is called AMD-V Without it, you can't use a 64 bit host. Use the "help" in virtual box, and search for 64 (then select the hardware virtualization topic)

Also, there is a setting in the configuration of the "system" that also needs to be selected to enable HW virtualization.

Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users