8 replies to this topic

#1 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

Hi everyone. I'm been searching for hours, trying to find a good tutorial for my current setup, that will allow me to host a windows vista PE (for installing it onto networking computers, that is) on my Ubuntu tftpd-hpa server.

I'm relatively comfortable with PXE; my router is already configured to direct any PXE-related requests to the tftp server. However, this seems to be quite the curve ball. Following this guide, I was able to get so far as my client machine being able to partially load up the installer. It would get to a point where it would halt with an error saying;

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information.

According to various comments and googling, that error indicated an incorrectly used remap file (as used in the tutorial), although I could not fix that.

If anyone has any guides available, that they know will work for hosting on an Ubuntu machine, then I would very much appreciate your input :hi:

Thanks!

#2 alharaka

alharaka

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

I'm relatively comfortable with PXE; my router is already configured to direct any PXE-related requests to the tftp server. However, this seems to be quite the curve ball. Following this guide, I was able to get so far as my client machine being able to partially load up the installer. It would get to a point where it would halt with an error saying;

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing required information.

So, can you actually verify that you have BOOT\BCD file in the proper path on the TFTP server and that it is properly configured? If so, other people in the comments suggested that in RH-based Linux distros, they had to change the mapping/substitution command from gr to rg, but I am not sure if that applies to Debian-based distros like Ubuntu as well. Moreover, one person said they had to try a different RPM (the RH-based distro equivalent of Debian's APT system) to get a more recent version of the TFTP package in question. The point of that -vvv parameter is for verbose output from the TFTP server after all, so I would look server side and give us some logs so people more knowledgeable than I can help you.

#3 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

So, can you actually verify that you have BOOT\BCD file in the proper path on the TFTP server and that it is properly configured? If so, other people in the comments suggested that in RH-based Linux distros, they had to change the mapping/substitution command from gr to rg, but I am not sure if that applies to Debian-based distros like Ubuntu as well. Moreover, one person said they had to try a different RPM (the RH-based distro equivalent of Debian's APT system) to get a more recent version of the TFTP package in question. The point of that -vvv parameter is for verbose output from the TFTP server after all, so I would look server side and give us some logs so people more knowledgeable than I can help you.

Darn, I should have tail'd the tftp log before I deleted everything in the folder :\

I'll go look now though and see what I can find, thank you very much for the suggestion! (Why didn't I think of that before :hi: )

EDIT: The log mentions that the font file was misplaced, however, there seems to be a more specific error regarding the BCD:
tftp: client does not accept options

Which is found around this portion of the log:
RRQ from 192.168.1.149 filename \Boot\BCD remapped to /Boot/BCD

remap: input: \Boot\BCD

remap: rule 0: rewrite: /Boot\BCD

remap: rule 0: rewrite: /Boot/BCD

remap: done

So it appears the remapping is working ok. Regarding the client error, this says it's harmless, this answer indicated that that is the problem, and finally, this also indicated (like the first one) that this message is harmless.

I guess now I'm back at square one. I'll run through the tutorial I tried last time so I can at least start reproducing the problem.

EDIT2: I should have mentioned this before, but the computer that I'm mastering Vista from is a Windows XP Home computer, so the Bootrec or bcdedit programs aren't readily available to me. I do have the Windows AIK, I'm just not sure how it would know what BCD file I'm talking about :\

Edited by TGP1994, 20 November 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#4 alharaka

alharaka

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

remap: input: \Boot\BCD

remap: rule 0: rewrite: /Boot\BCD

remap: rule 0: rewrite: /Boot/BCD

remap: done

I cannot say for certain whether or not it is harmless, but this message suggests a possible solution. Apparently, you need to specify the proper network card in the pxelinux.cfg file to remove this error condition. However, as you have pointed out, this might not help your chances at all.

Your problem here is that the BCD file is very important, and very picky. It is basically a binary hierarchic database, much like the Windows registry, but specifically for parameters you feed to the bootloader. It is obviously a much bigger PITA than the boot.ini files of old, so it could be that your settings are incorrect. The problem here is, if that original issue is inter-related, I am not sure how you would specify a similar kernel parameter that could indicate which network card to use, since I have never seen such functionality in Windows and that is particular to a Linux dummy terminal server in the first place. Have you double-checked the BCD file itself. I am not sure if WAIK gives you the BCD toolchain. If not, you are going to have a problem following what I say. If you are able to get BCD utils (I assume they are inside the Windows PE image, which you could mount with the WAIK imagex utility to extract or my co-workers have been adding it manually years prior and I had not noticed; it has been a while), try the following command after copying it back to the reference XP workstation.

cd /path/to/bcdedit/executable/here

bcdedit /store /path/to/bcd/store/here/Boot/BCD

You should make sure the config you mentioned matches up with the sysadmin article you started with. Again, I am sorry if this is not helpful, but this is what I would start investigating.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15272 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

EDIT2: I should have mentioned this before, but the computer that I'm mastering Vista from is a Windows XP Home computer, so the Bootrec or bcdedit programs aren't readily available to me. I do have the Windows AIK, I'm just not sure how it would know what BCD file I'm talking about :\

Not ONLY BCDedit exists.

JFYI:
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=10003

:hi:
Wonko

#6 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

Not ONLY BCDedit exists.

JFYI:
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=10003

:hi:
Wonko

Ahh, that looks much easier to use, I will give that a try, thanks :hi:

#7 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Well, the BCDTool was a tad bit buggy, I couldn't complete the process of building my BCD, so I had to fall back to using the regular Bcdedit tool. The Windows Technet guide I was using seemed to be a little sketchy at some points, are there better guides for doing what I'm trying to do?

#8 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:21 AM

Ack, nevermind, I've actually managed to boot it up :hi: So once I'm in the PE, how do I start the setup?

#9 TGP1994

TGP1994

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:37 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I managed to get it working, here's a summary of what I did:

• Installed the package tftpd-hpa on my linux server
  • Built the WinPE files
  • Injected the drivers for my network card, using this tutorial
  • Moved the WinPE files onto the tftp server, and moved the installer iso over as well
  • Mounted the ISO image, then shared the directory it was mounted to on a samba share
  • Net booted the WinPE image, then used net use a: (samba share) to access the installer
  • Changed the current drive, then ran setup

Everything has been working beautifully since then. There may have been a few minor details inbetween, such as adding a redirect file to the tftp server, etc.

Always remember; if you're having trouble getting past the network boot, tail -f /var/log/daemons.log.1, then look for any lines relating to the tftp server. If you see anything about a missing file, then either (a) the redirect file is not being run by tftp server, or (:hi: the file is actually missing. In most cases for me, it was normally because the case was wrong, or I had an incorrect path in the BCD. You can always re-edit a BCD file with Bcdedit, read up on the documentation, it helps!

A final word of advice; it will most definitely take awhile for the inital PE machine to load up on your client(s). Take a break, play a game on your image building machine, do whatever it takes to pass the time. I think it beats wasting a DVD-R.

If anyone has any questions regarding installing Vista over a network, please ask them here. I feel I'm much more qualified than I used to be to answer :hi:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users