#1 barkingmonkeye

barkingmonkeye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

All,

First let me thank anyone who is willing to take the time to read and/or reply to this post.

I am having trouble with Hiren's boot cd 12.0 in regards to booting it off a multiboot usb drive. I am able to load the boot.gz and everything works up until i actually try and run a program. For testing i have been trying to run MHDD hard drive diag tool. I get the error when i select MHDD from the hiren's menu. What happens is hirens is looking for the MHDD.uha file in the RAM drive that it creates. So i end up getting the error !! file missing R:/HBCD/MHDD.uha !! Label not found.

Ive tried numerous ways of coding the menu.lst file that is in the root of the USB drive, as i was under the impression that the problem was with how grub4dos was loading the hirens files. But the more i think about the error, the more i feel this is a problem with the way hirens is coded, because it seems that the RAM drive is created by code from the hirens files. In order to clarify what ive done so far ill outline some steps below.

i followed this tutorial for the basic steps. http://florian.freundt.org/blog/?p=161

1: The usb stick is a 32 gig Imation formated to one FAT32 partition

2: used PEtoUSB 3.0.0.8 to install a bartPE image

3: installed Grub4dos 0.4.4

4: copied to the root of the usb drive, grldr and menu.lst from grubinst 1.0.1

5: copied to the root of the usb drive, the HBCD folder from hiren's boot cd 12.0

6: edited the menu.lst file in the root of usb to contain the following

title Hiren's boot cd
find --set-root /HBCD/boot.gz
map --mem /HBCD/boot.gz (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1

So thats basically it. I can boot off the USB drive and i get the first menu.lst interface. when i select hiren's boot cd it loads to a "Hiren's All in 1 BootCD 12.0 menu". This hirens menu gives me the option to select "partition tools...., backup tools...., hard disk tools....", etc. Ive been going to "hard disk tools...". Then ive been trying "MHDD 4.6".

When i select MHDD it immediately creates a 100mb ram drive as R: and extracts some unknown system files. Then it prompts to load mouse driver, other drivers, and keyboard layout. And then it tries to load mhdd.uha. This is where the error happens because its looking for the mhdd.uha file on the R: drive. This is where i need help.

Im not sure what files its extracting and copying to the R: drive. (i cannot find the exact files its extracting when i do a search of the usb drive)

Im not sure what code/file its using to create the RAM drive. (seems like hiren's has its own menu.lst and custom-menu.lst files, neither of those have entries for the MHDD selection. So maybe its coded in the boot.img file?)

It would seem that the easiest thing to do would be to either edit the code its using to create the R: drive so that it points to the actual hirens folder on the usb drive where the MHDD.uha file is located. or to try and copy the program files its looking for into the files its extracting to the R: drive.

some example files it loads to the R: drive are:
amsida.sys, attrib.com, drivers.uha, loadsys.exe, mem.exe, mode.com, oakcdrom.sys, pcmenu.bat, wbat.com, z.bat, etc.

Edited by barkingmonkeye, 12 November 2010 - 06:10 PM.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hiren's is WAREZ. ;)

;)
Wonko

#3 barkingmonkeye

barkingmonkeye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

well thats a bummer. sorry about that i didnt know it was considered warez.

#4 Areeb

Areeb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

Hiren's is WAREZ. ;)

Weird !
Why it is considered in the Warez Category ?
It contains FREE Softwares, other than the Live version of XP...

#5 ksanderash

ksanderash

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:electronics, PCs, cinema, reading books, psychology, philosophy
  •  
    Moldova

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Wonko the Sane
Latest versions of Hiren contain less and less cracked software ;)
It even doesn't have now "traditional" Acronis/Ghost/PM, but Linux tools instead.

barkingmonkeye
Why not try something like:
title  Hiren's BootCD

configfile /HBCD/MENU.LST

#6 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• Amount:

.script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

Weird !
Why it is considered in the Warez Category ?
It contains FREE Softwares, other than the Live version of XP...

there you said it, it is a violation of MS's TOS and EULA to distribute windows

there are other software included that are free to use but not legal to distribute. ex is Sysinternals tools (RootkitReveler, filemon, procmon, procex, autoruns)

Wonko the Sane
Latest versions of Hiren contain less and less cracked software ;)
It even doesn't have now "traditional" Acronis/Ghost/PM, but Linux tools instead.

it really doesn't matter how much legal software it has on it. if it has even 1 cracked/not legal to distribute piece of software (ie. ms windows) than it is WAREZ

#7 barkingmonkeye

barkingmonkeye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

title Hiren's BootCD
configfile /HBCD/MENU.LST

That doesnt work correctly as the menu.lst does not give the "correct" menu interface. The "correct" menu has a different interface which is loaded from the boot.gz (boot.img). So ill be looking to edit that i guess.

#8 HTML Tiger

HTML Tiger

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

there you said it, it is a violation of MS's TOS and EULA to distribute windows

there are other software included that are free to use but not legal to distribute. ex is Sysinternals tools (RootkitReveler, filemon, procmon, procex, autoruns)

it really doesn't matter how much legal software it has on it. if it has even 1 cracked/not legal to distribute piece of software (ie. ms windows) than it is WAREZ

Everything on bootland/winbuilder is legal.

Free download livexp with acronis/norton and other stuff.
http://amalux.winbui.../lx77rc2cxw.iso

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

Recent thread:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=11982&hl=
http://www.boot-land...?...=11982&st=8