1 reply to this topic

#1 stairclimber113

stairclimber113
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

I have a new IMac (10.6.5) and I have installed Parallels 6 so that I can run a virtual Windows XP operating system. I did not have a boot disk for XP because my old Dell came loaded with it and did not provide the disk. I do have the registration key.

I downloaded an XP boot disk from Bootdisk.com and used disk utilities to create an .iso CD. The CD boot files are in drive A and the utilities are seen as drive R. Parallels does not recognize this as a boot disk and keeps giving me an A prompt where it seems to want me to enter something.

Does anyone have any experience with virtual machines?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

I have a new IMac (10.6.5) and I have installed Parallels 6 so that I can run a virtual Windows XP operating system. I did not have a boot disk for XP because my old Dell came loaded with it and did not provide the disk. I do have the registration key.

I downloaded an XP boot disk from Bootdisk.com and used disk utilities to create an .iso CD. The CD boot files are in drive A and the utilities are seen as drive R. Parallels does not recognize this as a boot disk and keeps giving me an A prompt where it seems to want me to enter something.

Does anyone have any experience with virtual machines?

Well, you do not actually "download" a XP bootdisk (what you may download is a "simple" bootdisk, NOT the "real" XP OS .iso - which you BUY a license for from MS - if still possible).

On bootdisk.com there are a few tens of downloadable bootdisks, WHICH one did you download?

HOW (with WHICH tools, with WHICH settings/commands) did you made a CD out of it?

You can re-create a XP OS install CD from the files you have.

Mind you if your DELL (how normally is) was an OEM version, you will be breaking the MS EULA nonetheless by running it in a VM on another Computer.

If you are interested, here is a current thread about re-creating an XP install CD:
http://www.911cd.net...o...c=24161&hl=

DELL's OEM CD's are however reknown for being non-standard AND troublesome.

If you want to experiment, use the Trial version of Server 2003:
http://www.techzonez...read.php?t=4822

;)
Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users