Admissions for the MSE program are open

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:18 AM

Hello,

As some of you might know, I went back to studies about a year and half ago.

These studies were the MSE (Master of Software Engineering). A program that is held between two universities: Coimbra, in Portugal and Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh, USA.

Both the UC and CMU are top universities at each country, a good lot of computer history passed through their walls and still a lot of more is being written there as we speak.

But what I wanted to share here today, is the fact that the openings for the next year are now available and I would like to invite my fellow boot landers to try it out in case they are interested. I am also offering my time and effort to guide through the enrollment process.

This is a very demanding program. It lasts 16 months and comes with the advantage that you end up with a Master of Software Engineering degree from two top universities and a whole new perspective about the way how software is done. That said, you can also expect to work 50~70 hours per week and be driven to the fringe of human survival in the process (not kidding).

But nevertheless all that, it is a worthy challenge that can really change your life.

The Portuguese government sponsors ~80% of the tuition costs and the MSE is fully taught in English language at both sides of the Atlantic.

The homepage has more details at http://mse.dei.uc.pt

--------

I'm available to answer any questions you have about the MSE either here or by personal message.

You can also count with me here in Portugal to help you prepare the candidate documentation with the necessary quality. If you get accepted, I can also help you prepare things in advance in Coimbra like getting a place to sleep within walking distance of the university at reasonable prices and so forth.

So, think about this idea and then let me know in case you're interested.

;)

#2 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:48 AM

Thank you very very much for sharing Nuno. ;) I already have masters in social science but I want to have good knowledge in programming too. I just started learning Java using online resource but I would love the idea of doing another masters if not hard to get. Thank you for the share. I am going to the site now.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

Nice to hear this, go for it! ;)

I've also learned Java while studying in the MSE as my weapon of choice was different. Albeit not obligatory, it Java is certainly a good programming language and it is time well used to learn it. You have some level of evaluation in terms of programming but the core classes are very focused on managing people, planning the road ahead for development and so forth. No doubt one learns quite a lot from them.

I can help you prepare all the needed documentation with the required quality. The committee will evaluate your past works and motivation to join the program. You're welcome to drop me a personal message and we'll discuss the roadmap to get things going on time.

;)

#4 mrz999

mrz999
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Nice to hear this, go for it! ;)

I've also learned Java while studying in the MSE. Albeit not obligatory, it is certainly a good tool/programming language to use. You have some evaluation in terms of programming but the core classes are based on social skills, focused on managing people, planning the road ahead for development and so forth. No doubt that any person will learn quite a lot.

I can help you prepare all the needed documentation with the required quality. The committee will evaluate your past works and motivation to join the program. You're welcome to me a personal message and we'll discuss the roadmap to get things going on time.

;)

Well, this is a great offer. Looks like goodness isn't going to give up in this evil world ;-). Thank you Nuno.

Hey..one quick question. Do they consider GMAT too? Or GRE is really really needed? Any ideas?>

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Hi mrz,

Hey..one quick question. Do they consider GMAT too? Or GRE is really really needed? Any ideas?>

This is an interesting question. I hadn't heard about GMAT before and looking around it seems comparable to GRE.

Looking on the portuguese site I see no alternatives listed:
http://mse.dei.uc.pt..._...2&Itemid=58

Nor at the MSE site at Carnegie Mellon:
http://mse.isri.cmu....Admissions.html

However, I will ask if GMAT can be considered as equivalent and then let you know.

;)

#6 mrz999

mrz999
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:00 AM

That's great. I will wait for your response. Really hope to hear that they will consider GMAT scores. Thanks Nuno.

#7 TheZeDD

TheZeDD

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Peace?
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:27 AM

;)

Best Wishes to you Nuno!

#8 Khalil

Khalil
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:31 AM

Hi, I am citizen of Pakistan, I have graduated last year in Computer Systems Engineering, now I am thinking to do masters...

I am really very much interested what you were saying, but how could you help me? will I be getting scholarship?

Please reply me on enggkhalil.muet@gmail.com as I don't visit Boot Land so often.

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

That's great. I will wait for your response. Really hope to hear that they will consider GMAT scores.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the GRE is required. The reason is the need to properly evaluate the analytical and verbal breakdowns along with the respective percentage of your score when compared to other applicants.

Best Wishes to you Nuno!

Thank you, still a lot of work ahead until December but one step at a time is what it takes.

I am really very much interested what you were saying, but how could you help me? will I be getting scholarship?

Hello, I've sent you an email and I'm also posting here some details for others to know in advance.

For the MSE you need at minimum two years of professional experience. However, you can still apply for the MSIT-SE program that starts at the same date and is oriented towards candidates with less than two years of experience:
http://mse.isri.cmu....T-SE/index.html

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users