IsNoGoud
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

Gents,

This is my first message on this forum.
My laptop is a Futjisu Siemens Lifebook S7220.
The Futjisu BIOS, last release v1.15, is able to boot from USB 2.0 pendrive or USB 2.0 HDD.
I've made a pendrive with Windows XP Pro SP3 and I can boot from it but Windows XP is very slow.
So, I've bought an USB 3.0 expresscard from VANTECUSA based on the USB 3.0 PCIe chipset from RENESAS/NEC and a Mach Xtreme Technology FX 32 Go USB 3.0 pendrive.
From the time being, the USB 3.0 pendrive is on the way but I can play with the USB 3.0 expresscard and my USB 2.0 Windows XP pendrive.
As the USB 3.0 RENESAS/NEC chipset is USB 2.0 backward compatible, I have tried to boot from the USB 2.0 pendrive connected to the USB 3.0 expresscard but without success. The BIOS does not recognize the USB 3.0 chipset.
Googling on internet for a workaround, I have discovered the Winbuilder ChainbootXP script. To make this script able to detect the USB 3.0 expresscard, I guess relevant drivers have to be added to.
The USB 3.0 expresscard relies on two Windows drivers :
- nusb3hub.sys for the Root Hub
- nusb3xhc.sys for the Host Controller

Here below the content of the nusb3hub.inf file :
; ========================================================

; Copyright (c) 2010 Renesas Electronics Corporation

; INF file for installing USB 3.0 hub driver.

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

Class=USB

ClassGuid={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

Provider=%RENESAS%

DriverVer=09/30/2010,2.0.26.0

CatalogFile=nusb3hub.cat

[SourceDisksNames]

1 = %DISKID%

[SourceDisksFiles]

nusb3hub.sys = 1

[DestinationDirs]

DefaultDestDir = 12 

[Manufacturer]

%RENESAS% = RENESAS

[RENESAS]

; Hub

%NUSB3\ROOT_HUB30.DeviceDesc% = NUSB3HUB, NUSB3\ROOT_HUB30

%NUSB3\CLASS_09.DeviceDesc%   = NUSB3HUB, NUSB3\CLASS_09

%NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_01.DeviceDesc%   = NUSB3HUB, NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_01

%NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_02.DeviceDesc%   = NUSB3HUB, NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_02

%NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_03.DeviceDesc%   = NUSB3HUB, NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_03

[DefaultInstall]

CopyINF = nusb3hub.inf

;---------------------

; NUSB3HUB

;---------------------

[NUSB3HUB.NT]

CopyFiles = NUSB3HUB.CopyFiles

[NUSB3HUB.CopyFiles]

nusb3hub.sys

[NUSB3HUB.NT.Services]

AddService = nusb3hub, 0x00000002, NUSB3HUB.AddService, NUSB3HUB.EventLog

[NUSB3HUB.AddService]

DisplayName	= %NUSB3HUB.SvcDesc%

ServiceType	= 1				&#59; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER

StartType	  = 3				&#59; SERVICE_DEMAND_START

ErrorControl   = 1				&#59; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL

ServiceBinary  = %12%\nusb3hub.sys

LoadOrderGroup = Base

[NUSB3HUB.EventLog]

AddReg = NUSB3HUB.EventLog.AddReg

[NUSB3HUB.EventLog.AddReg]

HKR,,"EventMessageFile",0x00020000,"%11%\iologmsg.dll;%12%\nusb3hub.sys"

HKR,,"TypesSupported",0x00010001,7

[Strings]

RENESAS = "Renesas Electronics"

DISKID  = "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Device Driver Installation Disk"

; Hub

NUSB3\ROOT_HUB30.DeviceDesc = "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub"

NUSB3\CLASS_09.DeviceDesc   = "Renesas Electronics USB Hub"

NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_01.DeviceDesc   = "Renesas Electronics USB 2.0 Hub"

NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_02.DeviceDesc   = "Renesas Electronics USB 2.0 MTT Hub"

NUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_03.DeviceDesc   = "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub"

NUSB3HUB.SvcDesc			= "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub Driver"

Here below the content of the nusb3xhc.inf file :

; Copyright (c) 2010 Renesas Electronics Corporation

; INF file for installing USB 3.0 host controller driver.

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

Class=USB

ClassGuid={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

Provider=%RENESAS%

DriverVer=09/30/2010,2.0.26.0

CatalogFile=nusb3xhc.cat

[SourceDisksNames]

1 = %DISKID%

[SourceDisksFiles]

nusb3xhc.sys = 1

[DestinationDirs]

DefaultDestDir = 12 

[Manufacturer]

%RENESAS% = RENESAS

[RENESAS]

; Host Controller

%NUSB3XHC.DeviceDesc% = NUSB3XHC, PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0194&REV_03

%NUSB3XHC.DeviceDesc% = NUSB3XHC, PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0194&REV_04

[DefaultInstall]

CopyINF = nusb3xhc.inf

;---------------------

; NUSB3XHC

;---------------------

[NUSB3XHC.NT]

CopyFiles = NUSB3XHC.CopyFiles

[NUSB3XHC.CopyFiles]

nusb3xhc.sys

[NUSB3XHC.NT.HW]

AddReg = NUSB3XHC.AddReg.HW

[NUSB3XHC.AddReg.HW]

HKR,"Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties",MSISupported,0x00010001,1

[NUSB3XHC.NT.Services]

AddService = nusb3xhc, 0x00000002, NUSB3XHC.AddService, NUSB3XHC.EventLog

[NUSB3XHC.AddService]

DisplayName	= %NUSB3XHC.SvcDesc%

ServiceType	= 1				&#59; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER

StartType	  = 3				&#59; SERVICE_DEMAND_START 

ErrorControl   = 1				&#59; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL

ServiceBinary  = %12%\nusb3xhc.sys

LoadOrderGroup = Base

[NUSB3XHC.EventLog]

AddReg = NUSB3XHC.EventLog.AddReg

[NUSB3XHC.EventLog.AddReg]

HKR,,"EventMessageFile",0x00020000,"%11%\iologmsg.dll;%12%\nusb3xhc.sys"

HKR,,"TypesSupported",0x00010001,7

[Strings]

RENESAS = "Renesas Electronics"

DISKID  = "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Device Driver Installation Disk"

; Host Controller

NUSB3XHC.DeviceDesc = "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller"

NUSB3XHC.SvcDesc	= "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver"

Could one give me some advice to achieve my need ?
Thanks for your help.

#2 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1344 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

I've bought an USB 3.0 expresscard from VANTECUSA based on the USB 3.0 PCIe chipset from RENESAS/NEC

Does PloP Boot Manager support this configuartion?
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Mach Xtreme Technology FX 32 Go USB 3.0 pendrive

Main difference is file access time.
Compare old and new pendrive at USB 2.0 connection.

ChainbootXP does expect existing USB drivers.

Which Windows do you like to boot from Mach Xtreme?
Do you like to clone current USB stick to new Mach Xtreme?

Can you boot current USB stick and install USB 3.0 drivers?
To make this USB boot friendly, CriticalDeviceDatabase and start=0 has to be ajusted.

Do you like to insert USB 3.0 drivers to offline windows?

Be aware: there is a drawback at ChainBootXP:
system registry is part of image.
Difficult to update this.

the USB 3.0 pendrive is on the way

I'll prepare a batch to inject USB3.0 drivers to offline windows in the meantime.

#3 IsNoGoud

IsNoGoud
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

Does PloP Boot Manager support this configuartion?
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

It seems not. I've made a boot CD-ROM based on the PCMCIA image but the USB 3.0 controller/host is not detected. I've asked for clarification on Plop forum and I'm waiting for response.

Which Windows do you like to boot from Mach Xtreme?
Do you like to clone current USB stick to new Mach Xtreme?

Windows XP Pro SP3.
Yes, if possible the best way would be to clone the existing USB 2.0 pendrive. But I can make the USB 3.0 XP Pro pendrive from scratch if needed.

Can you boot current USB stick and install USB 3.0 drivers?
To make this USB boot friendly, CriticalDeviceDatabase and start=0 has to be ajusted.

Yes, no problem.
After driver installation the USB 3.0 interface is correctly recognized by XP Pro and is working, at least with an USB 2.0 device as I have no USB 3.0 device to test for the time being.

Do you like to insert USB 3.0 drivers to offline windows?

Not sure to understand what you mean.
For future needs, I would like to add USB 3.0 drivers to my Nlited XP Pro SP3 install CD-ROM.

I'll prepare a batch to inject USB3.0 drivers to offline windows in the meantime.

Thank you very much for your help.

#4 ceehoppy

ceehoppy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Tinkering, DIY - home & cars age:38
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

Slow XP on your pendrive(Usb Flash Device) is due to poor random write speeds. Most generic UFD's are pretty pathetic in 64K & 4K benchmarks. I wish you luck in trying to go the usb 3.0 route. (my experience has been usb2.0 only.)
You could apply an Enhanced Write Filter to your current UFD, which will improve performance by saving all write operations to RAM instead of to the drive. On the downside the system will freeze when you fill up your memory. Upside is that the UFD is highly resistant to malware. Maybe a File Based Write Filter would work better?
Another way would be to get a faster 2.0 UFD. Some from OCZ look pretty good (at least on paper/screen).
I myself use a King Spec 16 GB usb 2.0 SSD, & it runs XP about the same speed as a standard hdd. For $60 & no hassles it works for me.

#5 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1344 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

Slow XP on your pendrive(Usb Flash Device) is due to poor random write speeds. Most generic UFD's are pretty pathetic in 64K & 4K benchmarks.

I myself use a King Spec 16 GB usb 2.0 SSD

Yes, SSD is the way to go.
All USB 3.0 pendrive are basic SSD drives. Used controller and uses storage gives different results.

A 2.5 SSD hard disk at a USB external enclosure is another approach.

And windows write cache is importand.

Not sure to understand what you mean.

Offline windows:
boot regular windows from internal hard disk:
there is a offline windows at USB drive.

To inject USB3.0 drivers:
copy files nusb3xhc.sys and nusb3hub.sys to USB_drive:@SystemRoot@\system32\drivers\
open a command prompt,
change directory to USB_drive:@SystemRoot@\system32\config\
Run fix_usb30.cmd
@echo offrem insert Renesas USB 3.0 settings to offline registryrem run at directory @SystemRoot@\system32\config\remrem copy files nusb3xhc.sys and nusb3hub.sys to @SystemRoot@\system32\drivers\rem rem created by cdobcopy system system.%random%.savreg.exe unload HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM >nul 2>&1reg.exe load HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM SYSTEM rem detect CurrentControlSetfor /f "tokens=3" %%a in ('reg.exe query "HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\Select" /v "Current"') do set /a ControlSet=%%aset ControlSet=00000%ControlSet%set ControlSet=ControlSet%ControlSet:~-3%echo. &echo ControlSet "%ControlSet%" used.set ClassGUID={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}set CriticalDeviceDatabase=HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\%ControlSet%\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabaseset Services=HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\%ControlSet%\Servicesecho on@rem USB 3.0 Host Controllerreg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\PCI#VEN_1033&DEV_0194&REV_03" /f /v "ClassGUID" /d "%ClassGUID%"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\PCI#VEN_1033&DEV_0194&REV_03" /f /v "Service" /d "nusb3xhc"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\PCI#VEN_1033&DEV_0194&REV_04" /f /v "ClassGUID" /d "%ClassGUID%"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\PCI#VEN_1033&DEV_0194&REV_04" /f /v "Service" /d "nusb3xhc"reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3xhc" /f /v "DisplayName" /d "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver"reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3xhc" /f /v "Group" /d "Boot Bus Extender"reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3xhc" /f /v "ImagePath" /d "system32\drivers\nusb3xhc.sys"reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3xhc" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "ErrorControl" /d 1reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3xhc" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Start" /d 0reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3xhc" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Type" /d 1@rem USB 3.0 Hubreg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#ROOT_HUB30" /f /v "ClassGUID" /d "%ClassGUID%"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#ROOT_HUB30" /f /v "Service" /d "nusb3hub"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#CLASS_09" /f /v "ClassGUID" /d "%ClassGUID%"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#CLASS_09" /f /v "Service" /d "nusb3hub"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_01" /f /v "ClassGUID" /d "%ClassGUID%"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_01" /f /v "Service" /d "nusb3hub"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_02" /f /v "ClassGUID" /d "%ClassGUID%"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_02" /f /v "Service" /d "nusb3hub"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_03" /f /v "ClassGUID" /d "%ClassGUID%"reg.exe add "%CriticalDeviceDatabase%\NUSB3#CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_03" /f /v "Service" /d "nusb3hub"reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3hub" /f /v "DisplayName" /d "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub Driver"reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3hub" /f /v "Group" /d "System Bus Extender"reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3hub" /f /v "ImagePath" /d "system32\drivers\nusb3hub.sys"reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3hub" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "ErrorControl" /d 1reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3hub" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Start" /d 0reg.exe add "%Services%\nusb3hub" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Type" /d 1@echo offrem pausereg.exe unload HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM

For future needs, I would like to add USB 3.0 drivers to my Nlited XP Pro SP3 install CD-ROM.

A hint, follow
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=14181
http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8/
Adjust this example to USB 3.0 drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users