Bug! Endless execution of Verify Project stage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ZYX

ZYX
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

First of all, I wish to thank to all contributing in this great project. You guys really rocks!

Now, to describe a problem which I had. I tried to build LiveXP with the latest project file, with included Winbuilder 077 RC 2, as well as with the latest Winbuilder 080. First I tried with Windows XP without any service pack, then with Windows XP with SP3. In one moment during experimenting when I clicked on Play button the program successfully finisher Verify Project, but after some more experimenting adding/removing some components, when I try click on Play button the program simply enters in some endless loop during that stage with CPU at approx. 20%. However, it was possible to stop its execution by press on the big X button (Remove selected component). I tried it several times with Create ISO, as well as with WimBoot, and many other options modified, but the result was the same. At first I waited one hour for the program to finish that stage, but nothing was happening.

I made a backup of that project folder and replaced it with the original one. With it I was successful in creating .iso file. Then I started to compare broken project with the original one, file by file and concluded that the script.project file is problematic. I tried to restore different lines, one by one and here are lines which leads to the mentioned behavior:

%spCabFile%=%spCabFile%
%OSServicePack%=%OSServicePack%

You see, the variables assigned to themselves! Now, if you ask me how I got that, I simply don't know. I didn't modify that file manually, I tried only options from the program GUI.

Oh yes, I almost forgot to say that I am experimenting inside of the VMware virtual machine. The source Windows without SP is on CD media and another one with the SP3 is on .iso file using VMware option to emulate CD with .iso file, but in both cases the Source directory was the same (D:\).

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Hi ZYX,

VERY Good detective work, THANKS :cheers:

Since Nobody uses xpsp0-xpsp1 sources anymore, nobody testing project with them for a while ;) and officially (and currently) for xp 32bit sources project supports sp2 and sp3.
I guess problem rise with using xpsp0 source, please do not :hyper: (using xpsp3 source adviced)

after deleting these values from script.project
%spCabFile%=%spCabFile%
%OSServicePack%=%OSServicePack%
things will probably continue running smoothly if you do not use xpsp0 source.

I figure out script to fix but I do not have one (sp0) at my hand now to test,
but be sure issue will be fixed on next package

Thanks again. :cheers:

#3 ZYX

ZYX
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

Hi Lancelot,

Thanks for the fast response. Yes, I already replaced the mentioned lines with the correct ones and after that all works fine. However, I wanted to know what is a cause for all that, not to fix its consequences. So, I searched all project files for a string "%OSServicePack%" and found that only 1 - ProjectInfo.Script file has an assignment to that value. Now, I am able to reproduce the mentioned problem and here are steps for that:
1. unpack LiveXP archive to some folder on HDD;
2. insert XP CD without any service pack into CD drive;
3. start Winbuilder and specify CD drive letter as a source;
4. press Play button and wait for program to finish Retrieve Project Info step;
5. press big X button (Remove selected component) to cancel execution;
6. press Play button again -> the program will lock at Verify Project step.

After that you could replace that CD with another one which has service pack 3, but the program would still lock at Verify Project step.

Regarding to service packs, I know that it is recommended to use the latest ones, but I have only that original CD with Windows XP without any service packs. It was quite some time when I experimented with BartPE and I remember that it refuse to work with XP without any service packs, but I also remember that it has a possibility to combine such XP CD without service packs with the extracted Service pack file (e.g. downloaded from the microsoft site) into one project folder. Such folder is treated after that like XP with originally integrated SP. I cannot find such possibility in Winbuilder and LiveXP project. I suppose that there are many users like me who have only CD media with XP without service pack and the mentioned option to combine such XP disc with the extracted Service pack file would be greatly appreciated.

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hi ZYX

I suppose that there are many users like me who have only CD media with XP without service pack and the mentioned option to combine such XP disc with the extracted Service pack file would be greatly appreciated.

I wrote in many topics, but in case others need when reading current topic,
here it is:

How to obtain XPsp3 source from XPSP0 or XPSP1 or XPSP3 source CD:
copy your cd to c:\xpsp3
download WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe (assuming your xp cd is english)
put WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe to C:\temp
open command line in temp and write
WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe -s:c:\xpsp3

:)

I wanted to know what is a cause for all that, not to fix its consequences.

Well even I will fix relevant script you already figured out properly + check other scripts to see current compatibilty with sp0 for next project package, here is a quick&dirty fix for you.
add following 4 lines under [process] section of define fundemantals.
[process]

Set,%spCabFile%,"",PERMANENT

Set,%spCabFile%,NIL,PERMANENT

Set,%OSServicePack%,"",PERMANENT

Set,%OSServicePack%,NIL,PERMANENT
+
another hot workaround that does not require modifying script untill next package is: one can use "Clean Temporary Files" button after using xpsp0 source :hi:.

Besides, there would be other issues you will face since these days most script developers make scripts using very mostly xpsp3x86 sources.

Well at one part, I agree with you, it is nicer to continue supporting sp0 sources at least with basic level.
We already made and testing mannnny improvments which also will result support sp0 easly, not all finished yet, you can be sure we spend our Hobby Time all focused on improving project unlike sometime in the past and your current report helps nicely figuring out what we missed so far ;).
Thanks again. :hyper:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users