Sugestion for booting form ramdisk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xpdoctor

xpdoctor

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

I'm using xp sp2 as source and wonder why not to make open builder to boot from the ram drive with the WindowsRamBoot.script

I dont know how to write a script but i think that it willbe easy for someone else

In the script the user will select the os version and if it is xp ,it will ask the user the path of the extracted ramdisk.sys from the 2003 instalation and copy it

Post your suggestions if it is possible

#2 Yorn

Yorn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

If you have a decent connection you should be able to download a copy of Windows 2003 RC2 trial from Microsoft for free. Someone around here (Draugen I think?) had a link to the download, or you could try this:

http://www.microsoft...al/default.mspx

Note: Using this method might not really be legal, there's some fine print from Microsoft about what qualifies as legitimate use, so just because something works does not mean you are legally able to do it. Pay attention to your Windows licenses.

I think the reason why this hasn't ever really been done before is if someone has ramdisk.sys, why not just use Windows 2003 as the source anyway?

#3 xpdoctor

xpdoctor

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

I have booted before with xp as source from ramdisk with the way you explain but what i mean is to make WindowsRamBoot.script to ask where is the ramdisk.sys for 2003 if the source is xp.

Sorry for my bad english :P

#4 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:03 PM

Yes, it is possible..

Perhaps it's possible to make a special script or option for users who wish to use an alternative windows source (in this case win2003) to copy the two needed files.

This script would only need to copy the files and overwrite the ones that come from XP.

I'll try to see if this works as I explained here tomorrow..

In the meanwhile, as Yorn stated very well, you need to ensure that things are done in a legal way. In my opinion the easiest way to get all builds RAM bootable without much problems is to really download the trial version from MS.

The advantage of downloading this windows version is that you'll be using the same windows source as myself and most people around here, meaning that your results will be more well tested and ensured to work on this platform..

Good luck with your builds! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users