Photo
- - - - -

Does USB-FDD Emulation allow USB = FDD for booting?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 coolguy2008

coolguy2008
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

I have a Toshiba Laptop A45 S120 with ACPI BIOS version 1.30.
The computer has 4 USB Ports.
I want to get an external DVD drive with USB connector to boot from.
The BIOS shows:
Boot Prioriy = CD-ROM -> LAN -> FDD -> HDD (no USB)
USB-FDD Legacy Emulation = Enabled

Will this allow USB to boot as FDD?

also,
HDD Priority = Built-in HDD -> PC Card

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

I assume you want FDD emulation?

1. Format a USB flash pen using RMPrepUSB (preferably one below 1GB in size as some BIOSes will not treat 1GB UFDs orlarger as a FDD drives)
- use FreeDOS - FAT16 or FAT32, Boot as FDD - Copy OS Files set to subfolder of RMPrepUSB called FREEDOS_USB_BOOT, tick file copy box - click on Prepare Drive - you should now have a formatted UFD which is in floppy format.
2. Switch off Tosh. Insert UFD. Switch on Tosh and go into the BIOS - what options do you see?
If poss set to boot from USB first.
3. Save and Exit and allow to boot. If you get an A:> prompt then it has booted as FDD - if you get a C: prompt it has booted as C:

Now repeat using ZIP instead of FDD in RMPrepUSB.

If it still won't boot at all, try other options like HDD 2PTNs, Force LBA, Use 64/32.

Good luck - all BIOSes are different!

Failing that, buy A Netac U207 2GB UFD. These have a switch on the side which selects 1.44MB TEAC Floppy drive emulation or a 2GB UFD. When switched to FDD it behaves just like a USB FDD only faster and smalled and it doesn't make spinny noises!

If this still does not work (i.e. always boots as C:) then we can use grub4dos to make it boot as A: - but post back and let's see how you get on!

S

#3 coolguy2008

coolguy2008
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Sorry, I am just trying to reinstall operating systems and my Laptop DVD drive is broken.
I have to connect an external DVD drive through USB port, but the BIOS shows no USB boot option. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to drive 30 minutes to get the DVD adapter cable which might allow me to boot an external DVD drive through a USB port.

Edited by coolguy2008, 15 October 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

until you plug it in you cannot tell - however most will boot from USB otherwise you cannot install any OS from DVD.- so I would be suprised if it did not support booting from DVD/CD.

If you have a PC and a USB flash drive - why not copy the DVD to the USB drive and boot from that?

#5 mactepu

mactepu

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    Indonesia

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

I assume you want FDD emulation?

1. Format a USB flash pen using RMPrepUSB (preferably one below 1GB in size as some BIOSes will not treat 1GB UFDs orlarger as a FDD drives)
- use FreeDOS - FAT16 or FAT32, Boot as FDD - Copy OS Files set to subfolder of RMPrepUSB called FREEDOS_USB_BOOT, tick file copy box - click on Prepare Drive - you should now have a formatted UFD which is in floppy format.
2. Switch off Tosh. Insert UFD. Switch on Tosh and go into the BIOS - what options do you see?
If poss set to boot from USB first.
3. Save and Exit and allow to boot. If you get an A:> prompt then it has booted as FDD - if you get a C: prompt it has booted as C:

Now repeat using ZIP instead of FDD in RMPrepUSB.

If it still won't boot at all, try other options like HDD 2PTNs, Force LBA, Use 64/32.

Good luck - all BIOSes are different!

Failing that, buy A Netac U207 2GB UFD. These have a switch on the side which selects 1.44MB TEAC Floppy drive emulation or a 2GB UFD. When switched to FDD it behaves just like a USB FDD only faster and smalled and it doesn't make spinny noises!

If this still does not work (i.e. always boots as C:) then we can use grub4dos to make it boot as A: - but post back and let's see how you get on!

S

hiya steve6375 i have a bit similiar problem like ts...i have posted here USB-HDD Booting

I have an old laptop Toshiba Satellite A60-S166 with ACPI BIOS (recently I have updated to latest version 1.90 provided in toshiba's site) it only have four boot options...HDD, CDROM, FDD (USB-FDD Legacy Emulation), and LAN (PXE)...it does not have option to boot from USB-HDD or USB-ZIP

Recently it cannot detect internal 30GB HDD anymore, and I think the internal HDD has broken and I have Seagate GoFlex 500GB USB-HDD...I want to be able to instal OS in my USB-HDD and boot from it instead of using LiveCD...I have ;) around but cannot find solver to my problem...My questions are:

1. Is it possible to trick BIOS so it will see my USB-HDD as USB FDD and chainloader to primary OS? If so how can I do so? Step by step please :)
2. Or should I use or...is there any PATA->USB connector and connect my USB-HDD directly to mainboard? Will it be possible?

thanks in advanced for boot masters in here :hi:

i boot with BartPE's LiveCD and it detect my USB Pen Drive (2GB) and when i run RMPrepUSB my USB Pen Drive status is *unmounted* :hi:

#6 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

i boot with BartPE's LiveCD and it detect my USB Pen Drive (2GB) and when i run RMPrepUSB my USB Pen Drive status is *unmounted* :hi:

never tried RMPrepUSB under BartPE! Did you try clicking refresh button? Does RMPrepUSB actually work/format the drive?

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14778 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

never tried RMPrepUSB under BartPE! Did you try clicking refresh button? Does RMPrepUSB actually work/format the drive?

A more pertinent question: :hi:

Do you have WMI working under your BartPE? :hi:

See here:
http://www.911cd.net...o...c=24108&hl=

;)
Wonko

#8 mactepu

mactepu

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    Indonesia

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:53 AM

RMPrepUSB is installed on my USB-HDD and run from it...it does not format the drive...when i select and click Prepare Drive it shows an error 'RMPARTUSB: Cannot find drive 1 Please ensure you have specified DRIVE=n where n is a NUMBER not a letter!'

#9 mactepu

mactepu

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    Indonesia

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:07 AM

i tried on another laptop to use RMPrepUSB, it works, but when try boot my satellite a60-s166 with only USB-FDD booting, it didnt work...

#10 vangelitw

vangelitw
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi!I have big problem?????!?!??!Have TOSHIBA  SA40-221!While I doing format with XP Home Edition, laptop switched off and from that moment comes I see in the monitor,NTLDR is missing...Press .......

No boot disc does not read.The TOSHIBA have 4 USB,but don't boot with USB!!??only HDD,CD,FDD?!?!?

Help me please! :confused1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users