Photo
- - - - -

Using Win7PE_SE_05_19_2010 cant get ppapps to work?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hey all,

so i have successfully built my flash drive with the above build of win7pe. However Looking at the ppapps tutorial i have placed the base and addon pack for the apps on the root of the drive at g:\ppapps. However, when i load up win7pe, it does not recognize the applications, or put them on the start menu / desktop. I cant seem to find what i need to add for them to be recognized?

Thanks

#2 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hello
You are using an older Win7SE_PE dated 5-19-1020 which is a JFX build and I am not saying you that can not make that work. Some where there is an add-on script for adding Portable Apps.

JFX inspired ChrisR to continue and update Win7PE_SE
So if I could suggest using ChrisR updated Win7PE_SE Release dated 2010-10-05
This has a PStart and Portable_Apps script in download and there is an example (Explorer++) of how to include and use the add-on script.

Link to Win7PE_SE Release (read more here)

if i find the link to adding portable apps script,, i will post it
:D :cheers:

#3 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

Perfect. I actually came across that in my search, but didn't look hard enough to realize the date was different. I will DL it and give it a shot. Awesome!

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Hey all,

so i have successfully built my flash drive with the above build of win7pe. However Looking at the ppapps tutorial i have placed the base and addon pack for the apps on the root of the drive at g:\ppapps. However, when i load up win7pe, it does not recognize the applications, or put them on the start menu / desktop. I cant seem to find what i need to add for them to be recognized?

Thanks

Hi r6xual,

As stated in the tutorial, the ppApps you refer to will only work in the W7PEX project (or LiveXP version), this is not by my design; I would love ppApps to work in all W7 PE projects :cheers: , sadly they don't :cheers: . I had to build a special project around ppAppsGenPE to utilize it and have not been able to manipulate the source code to work in any other W7 project. This has to do with how Winbuilder creates shortcuts which is by-passed in W7PEX, anyway, hope that explains why they don't work in Win7pe :)

There may be other ways to get portable app's shortcuts on desktop and in start menu like ppAppsGenPE; I'm just not aware of it or how to help you but maybe others will know more.

:D

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

This has to do with how Winbuilder creates shortcuts which is by-passed in W7PEX, anyway, hope that explains why they don't work in Win7pe :cheers:

That encourages me to remember and tell my old concerns from the time of starting with AppScripts.

It is neither responsibility of the project, nor responsibility of the API to create shortcuts, and really not responsibility of WinBuilder.
Shortcuts are specific to the shell and therefore independent from the project, the shell must create the shortcuts it can use.

In that stone age of nativeEx I demonstrated with a43 / explorer as shell. Shortcuts worked in both.

EDIT by pscEx: Removed some hints to a new project which could be misunderstood as polemic.

Peter

#6 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

quote.png
I was looking forward to trying this but it doesn't allow win7 source and it doesn't work with retail XP either :cheers:

Attached File  log.zip   95.06KB   431 downloads

This isn't an offer to troubleshoot, just a statement it doesn't work as advertised (if only briefly).

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:01 PM

quote.png
I was looking forward to trying this but it doesn't allow win7 source and it doesn't work with retail XP either :D

Attached File  log.zip   95.06KB   431 downloads

This isn't an offer to troubleshoot, just a statement it doesn't work as advertised (if only briefly).

What is the point of your log?

There is a 'Handled error'. That means "mouhid.sys is not in sp2.cab". And as you see two lines later in the log, mouhid.sys was copied from driver.cab.

Suggestion to you as tutorial writer: Maybe you try to understand and after you understood, to explain to other members, how a file is extracted from multiple possible cabs.

Peter

BTW: Not to be banned by Nuno, no more replies here :cheers:

#8 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

The only point was to show how useless the log is :cheers: , the resultant ISO boots to black screen with no cursor etc.

#9 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

So here is my first goal with this release that we are discussing.

1. Win7 PE environment - Check
2. Network capable in PE environment - Check
3. Ability to connect via Teamviewer 3 (which i have a license for). I found the teamviewer 3.7 .script, but dont know how to implement
4. Ability to backup user files to their home directory (should work since PE is network capable?)
5. Ability to format drives and apply .WIM's via gimagex etc. Seems like it should work fine?

Anyways, just some things that i have been throwing around.

#10 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

Hi amalux,

currently not at home and only have W7PEX128.exe with me which have ppAppsW7.script but not the one I am looking for.
and with dl limited connection I can not dl packages...
can you attach (link-mediafire..) latest ppApps script which may give me a chance to take a look. :cheers:

@r6xual

as far as I remember, only copying files of teamviewer3 is enough for pe which have ability to connect internet. :D

#11 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:55 PM

Give me some time to test, thanks to Rui Paz, it looks like ppAppsGenPE works in Win7pe after all! I'll try to post an updated script soon :cheers:

#12 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:11 AM

Tested in Win7PE_SE_05_19_2010 (and others), working well :D

I'm happy to see ppAppsGen working in Win7PE project!

For those unfamiliar, whatever programs you put in your base folder
automatically get installed with shortcuts in your start menu and/or desktop:
ppaW7dtsm.png

including custom registry settings, file assn's etc. just as if you had included a script for that program.

Easy to make your own, read more here (ignore the part about only working in W7PEX :) )
or try some already setup here and here (they also work in LiveXP, btw). Have fun!

Attached File  ppAppsGen08.zip   1.29MB   538 downloads

:cheers:

#13 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Tested in Win7PE_SE_05_19_2010 (and others), working well :D

I'm happy to see ppAppsGen working in Win7PE project!

For those unfamiliar, whatever programs you put in your base folder
automatically get installed with shortcuts in your start menu and/or desktop:
ppaW7dtsm.png

So from what i understand, with this build you should just be able to place the prebundled apps in the ppapps folder on the root of the drive, and they will work?

update: guess not. Tried it and doesn't seem to work. Not sure what im doing wrong.

Edited by r6xual, 11 October 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#14 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

With a Win7PE build that includes the new script and a properly setup ppApps base (like the links supply) at the root of any visible drive at boot, I don't see why not; it works for me :D

Check two things:
1) You have ppAppsGenPE.exe in system32 of your build and you're using version 8 of the script (older won't work) with autorun selected (default). What happens if you run manually from shortcut in PE?

2) Your base folder looks like this:
base.png

2a) Just to be sure, check inside any sub-folders for ppApp.ini files, should be one in each of them.

Let me know if it still isn't working so we can figure out why; supply a log for the build and maybe some screenies too :cheers:

--
I've heard older versions of Win7PE_SE might be setup differently; please confirm which version you have and a link to download if you have it for testing. Since you need to rebuild anyway, can you test with known working version Win7PE_SE_05_19_2010? Oops, sorry, I meant Win7PE_SE_2010_10_05. Thanks for testing and feedback.

#15 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

This download link for ppappsgenpe is dead?

http://www.boot-land...?...c=4087&st=0

also, i have the .script file ppAppsGen08.script. how do i integrate that into my build using winbuilder?

UPDATE: Figured it out, simply dragged and dropped the script to the appropriate folder in the build and refeshed. now i see the script. Still cant find ppappsgenpe

Edited by r6xual, 11 October 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#16 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

:cheers: , yeah, forget that link; Soporific originally introduced ppAppsGenPE (coded by ReturnOfNights) and I put it in a script for LiveXP. Long story, short, there is now a version that should work in Win7PE; version 8 here. You include the script by adding it to your %baseDir%\Projects\Win7pe_SE\Apps\Portable folder and confirming it's selected in the project tree like this:
ppasetup.png

The only options needed are Autorun (recommended - starts automatically to install portable apps at startup) and whether you want a shortcut on your desktop or not. The other options are optional and can be left as they are for now. The ppAppsGenPE.exe will be in your PE's system32 folder if you've selected the script (not the other one similarly named :cheers: ).

The way this works, autorun should be always ON; if no ppApps present it will just say 0 installed, no error or fuss. If ppApps found at root of any drive, they will be installed (unattended) at startup without prompts or interaction, the shortcuts creation, file associations, registry settings etc. will simply occur, automatically, behind the scenes; within seconds you'll see all your shortcuts appear and all will work exactly as if you'd included scripts for those programs in the build.

Let me know how it goes :D

#17 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

Autoit error "unable to open the script file" when i boot to PE. Also, you mentioned that i should find ppappsgen.exe in the system32 folder. I searched for it in both the C:\Win7PE_SE_2010_10_05 and the actual flash drive but didn't find it. Here is a link to my log.

Log File

#18 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:36 PM

Autoit error "unable to open the script file" when i boot to PE. Also, you mentioned that i should find ppappsgen.exe in the system32 folder. I searched for it in both the C:\Win7PE_SE_2010_10_05 and the actual flash drive but didn't find it. Here is a link to my log.

Log File

x64 :cheers:

I'll see what I can do about this, I have an x64 version but buggy as hell... You can always build with x86 source, still works fine on x64 machine :)

I'll add a warning in the script about x64 source :cheers:

#19 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:38 PM

Ok ill try using the same builder with x86. Ill report back.

UPDATE:

x86 version worked fine when booting. Saw the autoit app pop up and say found 0 shortcuts (didnt have any on the drive). Going to go drop some on and check out how they work

Edited by r6xual, 11 October 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#20 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:00 AM

Apps are now working great, and i am starting to get the hang of how to edit the subfolder ini to get them in the correct spot. Does anyone have a good list of apps for spyware removal etc?

Secondly, i cant seem to find how to edit the initial Grub bootloader menu. At the present time, im not sure i need all of the options that are available to me.

#21 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

Apps are now working great, and i am starting to get the hang of how to edit the subfolder ini to get them in the correct spot. Does anyone have a good list of apps for spyware removal etc?

Secondly, i cant seem to find how to edit the initial Grub bootloader menu. At the present time, im not sure i need all of the options that are available to me.

Glad you're getting the hang of it :)

I'll still keep working on a x64 version for those that need it.

You can edit some aspects of grub menu in CreateISO script interface.

I included McAfee, DrWeb and AVZ in those links I posted, others are on the way...

#22 r6xual

r6xual

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

yeah i see that you can change the text colors etc. was hoping that you could change the menu options as far as adding or removing entries. i tried adding a URL shortcut to the desktop, but it does not launch opera (which is the browser in the PE). here is the .ini

<Title>
Remote Support

<Flags>
MakeInRoot = 0
MakeStart = 0
MakeSendTo = 0
MakeDesktop = 1
MakeQuickLaunch = 0

<StartMenuSourcePath>
Remote Support

<ppApp>
CommandLine = "Support.url"
ShortcutName = "Remote Support"
Description = "Connects you to remote support"

<End>

Thoughts?

#23 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hi amalux,

not at my home winx64 pc, but maybe I can help a little.

btw, it will be nice if you are able to use ckill instead of pskill to get rid of accepting eula (credits to Galapo & Colin Finck)

check attachments in script (also other minor modifications), I added ckill.exe to the default extraction, did not alter anything else. Further up to you.

I hope r6xual or you or others can test following on a x64 build.

one minor temporary thing, currently pskill should be asking for eula accept screen at startup

http://www.mediafire...o62mdlavtd2mo5v

#24 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:41 AM

Thank you! I'm building an x64 Win7PE now for testing, will let you know how it goes :cheers:

#25 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hi amalux,

since you are around,
for above pskill thingy probably* adding following will fix eula accept on x64 builds.
reg_add,0x4,%reg%\Software\Wow6432Node\Sysinternals\PsKill,EulaAccepted,1

ps:
adding both eula accept on all builds have no side effect :cheers:
if I blind hit the bulls eye, following 2 lines for all:
reg_add,0x4,%reg%\Software\Sysinternals\PsKill,EulaAccepted,1
reg_add,0x4,%reg%\Software\Wow6432Node\Sysinternals\PsKill,EulaAccepted,1

well, I hope you like ckill.exe :cheers:

waiting your test result, good luck :)

edit: going to sleep, see you :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users