30 replies to this topic

#1 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

I can't register. AT ALL. when I go to the register page, there's always this coding at the top for some reason.

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /var/www/boot-land.net/portal/ipbwi/ipbsdk_class.inc.php on line 320

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /var/www/boot-land.net/portal/ipbwi/ipbsdk_class.inc.php on line 416

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /var/www/boot-land.net/portal/ipbwi/ipbsdk_class.inc.php on line 479

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /var/www/boot-land.net/portal/ipbwi/ipbsdk_class.inc.php on line 1530

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /var/www/boot-land.net/portal/ipbwi/ipbsdk_class.inc.php on line 2269

and when I put in all the data it gives me a really confusing page and I do not get any email. this user account that I'm using I only was able to because of your recomendation saying to go to http://www.bugmenot....w/boot-land.net for the download links (btw if you don't want people to make a new account for the download links why not just enable anyone to download. if it's to do with bots or something use a captcha (also you should use a captcha for registering too), though I should be grateful you have that there since I wouldn't be able to post this otherwise lol)

also, there are a LOT of problems with the winbuilder page(es). googling winbuilder gives the download page and help page. but going to http://winbuilder.net/download.php gives a horrible error. and going to the "main" website http://winbuilder.net redirects to the forum page. however at this forum page there is absolutely no link to the help page that I earlier mentioned. the only way to get to the help page is by googling it. also the fourth link on google is http://www.boot-land...s/wb/start.html which appears to be similar to the help page, but again the only way to get to this page is from google. another peculiar thing is at the winbuilder forum home page you put a WIKIPEDIA LINK for "more information". THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. also, I found some tutorials about winbuilder but they are rather hard to get to. maybe moving them to the winbuilder area somehow, maybe making a separate tutorial section there.

BUT OTHER THAN ALL THAT I REALLY LIKE THIS WEBSITE lol

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hello!

why not just enable anyone to download

Leechers are terrible. The forum software is also hard to customize. Changes are planned for the future and a ReCaptcha is not out of reach once these modifications take place.

I can't register. AT ALL. when I go to the register page, there's always this coding at the top for some reason.

Thanks for reporting the message but it would also help to know which username you're trying to register.

also, there are a LOT of problems with the winbuilder page(es). googling winbuilder gives the download page and help page.

We've been passing through a rough month: http://www.boot-land...showtopic=12335

#3 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

oh wow. looks like I came across this place at a really bad time.

who on earth hacks websites like these?? O_o

oh and about the registering, I tried a number of different usernames, some that were complete gibberish and got the same outcome. maybe it's only a problem at my end though.

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

maybe it's only a problem at my end though.

Try clearing up cookies and cache of your browser. Just to be safe, try registering from another browser and perhaps things get better.

who on earth hacks websites like these?? O_o

You'd be surprised.

#5 Xali

Xali
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

ha ha oh wow. I used the forget password thing and put in all the different emails that I tried registering with.
I am now registered with Xali, coolpoop, and wtfmanfjakflajdl;fkj. so I never did get the email when I first registered. also the error codes are all still there. they were all there in firefox, ie8 and chrome. MAYBE it's my computer but I don't think so.

I suppose I should try deleting the other 2...

EDIT: well I don't see any options to delete the accounts. maybe I should add it to the bugmenot thing.
oh and if I may say so, THE ADSENSE SHARING THING IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. using the user's greed to increase their post quality. amazing.

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

I suppose I should try deleting the other 2...

Sure. Send me as PM the login names that you registered or email addresses and I'll take care of that.

THE ADSENSE SHARING THING IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. using the user's greed to increase their post quality. amazing.

To be honest, the post quality has always been very good from start of our site. Adsense share is only a small give-back.

#7 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

To be honest, the post quality has always been very good from start of our site. Adsense share is only a small give-back.

I agree with Nuno unanimously. Even before joining this forum as a member, I got a lot of help & after my stay at boot-land, my feelings have been reinforced. People are technically sound here & as well as helping, too. And morever,

@Xali
using the user's greed to increase their post quality. amazing.

the bold-ed term in the above quote is humiliating to forum members. Better for u only to appreciate Nuno's idea but stay silent with the later half of ur remark

#8 Xali

Xali
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

the bold-ed term in the above quote is humiliating to forum members. Better for u only to appreciate Nuno's idea but stay silent with the later half of ur remark

yea I know. was thinking whether I should use that word or not at the time. I suppose I should have put in "for a lack of a better term" or something. I'm sure I didn't offend anyone though.
and I know the forum must already have been good; just saying how this incentive is a really neato idea, almost revolutionary. this is the only place I've seen that has this, but all the other forums should totally utilize this. it should be the new standard or something.

EDIT: regarding the original point of this post, look what I found! http://www.paraglide...lp/default.html
maybe this should be posted on the main win builder page or something. looks pretty up to date and has info on everything.

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

EDIT: regarding the original point of this post, look what I found!

Those pages are a copy from what you could find on the winbuilder.net site at the help section.

maybe this should be posted on the main win builder page or something. looks pretty up to date and has info on everything.

Will add links. We need to improve the current pages for winbuilder here at the forum. A lot of work ahead and very scarce human resources to complete them.

#10 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

@ Nuno

EDIT: regarding the original point of this post, look what I found! http://www.paraglide...lp/default.html

Sorry Nuno, the above quoted part was not intended to be a part of my post & I didn't even notice until u replied to my post. What I did is, I deleted the unnecessary part from Xali's post to reply to him. His post was a bit offensive and I was in a haste. So, the quoted part remained as a leftover, completely unnoticed

Will add links. We need to improve the current pages for winbuilder here at the forum. A lot of work ahead and very scarce human resources to complete them.

U take ur time. We are looking forward.

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

Sorry Nuno, the above quoted part was not intended to be a part of my post & I didn't even notice until u replied to my post. What I did is, I deleted the unnecessary part from Xali's post to reply to him. His post was a bit offensive and I was in a haste. So, the quoted part remained as a leftover, completely unnoticed

Well, unless you are a magician it would be strange you could quote in a reply a snippet of a post made AFTER that reply...:cheers:

We need to improve the current pages for winbuilder here at the forum. A lot of work ahead and very scarce human resources to complete them.

Expecially if most of them are dedicated to ruin better :cheers: the look of the Board instead of bettering it's contents...:cheers:

;)
Wonko

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

@Holmes.Sherlock, no problem.

Expecially if most of them are dedicated to ruin better the look of the Board instead of bettering it's content

Well, the intention of the new look of the board is to prevent the need of maintaining two different themes for the future which will surely save time and headaches.

I've asked for your opinion on the development of the new theme mostly to ensure that we bring efficiency to the process. Knowing you'd be swift to raise critics, it will save us all a lot of time if you can criticize as things move forward just to avoid going back to the drawing board over and over again.

Also, my time used on the effort for the new theme can almost be considered redundant on this case. Most (if not all) of the effort comes from the theme designer that has volunteered to create a custom theme for our community.

You and anyone else interested in taking a look can follow the current progress at http://dnx.me

It's not the final theme, a lot of things to fix/improve but it's moving.

:ph34r:

#13 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

You and anyone else interested in taking a look can follow the current progress at http://dnx.me

It's not the final theme, a lot of things to fix/improve but it's moving.

The new theme looks nice.

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

The bad news :) are that this idea of playing around with board views/skins is like a flu: it spreads. :w00t:

We now have MSFN looking like a §@ç#ing BeOS app:
http://www.msfn.org/board/

The good news :cheers: are that it proves there can be something even worse of the current default boot-land skin. :ph34r:

;)
Wonko

Attached Thumbnails

• MSFN_BeOS.jpg

#15 ksanderash

ksanderash

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:electronics, PCs, cinema, reading books, psychology, philosophy
  •  
    Moldova

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image So this is our new home...

I vote for being as compact, as laconical, as it possible (though we are living in 22-42" displays time)
Posted Image

#16 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

The bad news :) are that this idea of playing around with board views/skins is like a flu: it spreads. :cheers:

We now have MSFN looking like a §@ç#ing BeOS app:
http://www.msfn.org/board/

The good news :w00t: are that it proves there can be something even worse of the current default boot-land skin. :ph34r:

;)
Wonko

You're completely - right for §@ç# - that's why i came back skin from 2006 there on the PCHW - peoples do not like changes - especially older one...

New IPB board version have a problem - which is reflected in the fact that you can not make skin you want. :cheers:

:cheers:

#17 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

@ Nuno

Looking at the new msfn theme, I fear that if boot-land follows the same way, it would be a real pain to surf the forum for members like me who uses a feeble Internet connection. My ISP claims my connection to be 53.3 Kbps where as in reality, it's worse than that. So, in the race of looking better, if we have to adopt such a jazzy look, then I'll request you to provide a choice to switch between a Low-fi version(just what Gmail does) so that we can browse the forum putting all our aesthetic sense apart.

One more point regarding forum poll suddenly came up in my mind. Even before a member cast a vote, he/she is allowed to to have a look to vote results till then in the current software(IPB). Even worse, after viewing the results, he/she is allowed to cast a vote. It's unfair & most of the time it leads to BIASED voting. If possible, I'd request u to disable this option in myBB. Ideally the software should flag a warning message to the member that if he/she wants to see the results before casting the vote, he/she won't be allowed to vote further.

#18 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Unlike MSFN, we are preparing the new skin with months ahead so that everyone can criticize and we can discuss what should or should not be done.

So, in the race of looking better, if we have to adopt such a jazzy look, then I'll request you to provide a choice to switch between a Low-fi version(just what Gmail does) so that we can browse the forum putting all our aesthetic sense apart.

Good point, one of the request for the new theme is that it contains a very minimal number of graphics to ease the loading on slower connections.

So this is our new home

It is just a test site for the new skin, don't worry because we won't be moving boot-land to over there.. ;)

If you don't like the theme, feel free to comment - in fact - I'll open a new thread where opinions can be gathered.

#19 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

@ Nuno

general tips and tweaks for forum skins:

http://browsershots.org/ "Other browsers" many hard written pages, fail to display in browsers other than the one it was written on
http://analyze.websi....pchwforum.com/ speed tweaks (there is a captcha) there are always some good ideas
http://jigsaw.w3.org...t...g=1&lang=en css faults
http://validator.w3......lidator/1.654 HTML faults
http://demo.opera-mi...w.pchwforum.com handheld problems, in php its reasonably easy to browser detect and send users on handheld devices to a simpler layout

i really worked hard on new Logo and to pass html & css validators.....

need more time but worth it :ph34r:

#20 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

Good point, one of the request for the new theme is that it contains a very minimal number of graphics to ease the loading on slower connections.

Here, in the forum rules, members are requested that if the resolution of the image exceeds a certain permissible one, one should place a link instead of hotlinking the image -- which is perfectly valid. I am afraid that developers may not refrain themselves putting some images to keep up with the time. So, please think about the option of having two "normal/Hi-Fi" & a "dull/Lo-Fi" skins at the very least.

BTW, may I know how the whole process is being conducted? I mean who are there in charge in developing the skin, how they have been selected & also let me know if I want to take part in the development process, whether I'll be allowed to do that.

And is there any specific reason to switch over to myBB?

#21 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

MSFN has 64 Errors, 64 warning (s) into HTML - there is nothing to talk further about IPB....

I must continue to pay IPB (for diyaudio.rs) because there is no- MERGE system for IPB 3.X to MyBB .....

;)

#22 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

myBB is the future - those guys are growing really fast
and the plugin system is really good much better than IPB that has close to none....

New IPB is overcoded in reason to keep people paying them - because that we not have much
freedom to done anything - even skin to return to the old look...

because that forums in IPB are forced to make new skins - even worse - for users ;)

#23 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

MSFN has 64 Errors, 64 warning (s) into HTML - there is nothing to talk further about IPB....

I must continue to pay IPB (for diyaudio.rs) because there is no- MERGE system for IPB 3.X to MyBB .....

;)

Am I correct in saying that IPB has to be bought where as myBB is free?

What is diyaudio.rs ?

#24 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

Am I correct in saying that IPB has to be bought where as myBB is free?

What is diyaudio.rs ?

Yes - IPB has price and myBB is free...

diyaudio.rs is forum if you need information on anything audio. Heaps of DIY tips from other audiophiles.

#25 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

Here, in the forum rules, members are requested that if the resolution of the image exceeds a certain permissible one, one should place a link instead of hotlinking the image -- which is perfectly valid. I am afraid that developers may not refrain themselves putting some images to keep up with the time. So, please think about the option of having two "normal/Hi-Fi" & a "dull/Lo-Fi" skins at the very least.

That is a good suggestion. We can actually code a plugin to create thumbshots miniatures that respect the minimum dimensions/size and only when people click on them they get the full sized image.

We are taking into account dialup connections. I'm a dialup user myself so I'm really interested in a lightweight skin as well. Just follow the progress and let us know your opinion.

BTW, may I know how the whole process is being conducted? I mean who are there in charge in developing the skin, how they have been selected & also let me know if I want to take part in the development process, whether I'll be allowed to do that.

There was a initial study process to identify changes desirable on the new design, the person responsible for creating the design is called "Ferron" - http://community.myb...user-12419.html

He is a popular theme designer for myBB and you can find his site at http://xkinto.com and he volunteered to create a custom theme for our site at zero costs.

You are welcome to take part on the development process. We need to feedback, constructive if possible.

Most of the reasons that Mikorist pointed out cover our reasons. To be honest, IPB has fallen out of grace over the past years. They charge money for support and worst even, they charge money for accessing the support forum freely powered by volunteers.

Managing plugins in IPB is difficult, we need to apply manual changes on the forum theme and replicate these changes across each skin. I can't upgrade to newer versions due to fear that it breaks compatibility with functionalities installed on the forum.

We have a perpetual license for IPB that was costly but no support from the company.

From all the open source/free forum software available, myBB is the one that offers the best conditions to replace our current IPB base.

------------------------

There are also plans of expansion for the future and myBB plays an important role in making them possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users