#26 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Posted Image So this is our new home...

I vote for being as compact, as laconical, as it possible (though we are living in 22-42" displays time)
Posted Image

I agree 100%....and I posted here last year about this screen-use-efficiency issue.

Just because 22" monitors exist, that does not mean everyone uses one.

Many many sites (and programs!) are absolutely ABYSMAL on a 15" LAPTOP screen.

Even worse, in regards to programs, are the programmers (majority of them, sadly) who are too lazy to include USER-setting for the font-size of ALL objects/items of their program. These incompetent programmers code character-size by PIXEL-count, instead of properly by POINT-size.

This is a HUGE issue for older people and eyes, with screens that are small AND very high resolution.

Try using TeraCopy, or WinHex, on a 15" laptop with UXGA (1600x1200 in only 15" lcd). Although WinHex allows for setting the font-size for the -data- being displayed, it FAILS to offer any setting for the program's own commands and menus! :worship:

Anyway, I add my vote to voyajers....screen-space is precious for many of us...and scrolling/paging back and forth and up and down all freaking day long is a real PITA! So please use screen-space EFFICIENTLY. I.e., this should be on the short-list of board/theme-developer "fundamental priorities/guidelines".

And also on that short-list should be "remember dialup!".

Most devs are urbanites with huge fast cheap pipes, who like to pretend that dialup simply doesn't exist any more. But the reality is that HALF OF ALL HUMANITY! have NO broadband access whatsoever.

For the three BILLION of us who have nothing but 28kb to access with, sites like msfn are getting harder and harder for us to use at ALL.

I come to Boot-land for INFORMATION and EDUCATION. 'Themes' and 'skins' and most especially 'flash' only GET IN THE WAY of fundamental purpose and VALUE of this site.

Whenever I get a yen for a little 'flash' in my day, I turn OFF the laptop....and ask my wife to wear that skimpy little black thing for me again...

:worship:

In other words, the PLAINER the board is, the better.

thank you for remembering the needs and concerns of the rural/dialup half of humanity. :worship:

#27 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

In other words, the PLAINER the board is, the better.

That discussion took place in August.

Following the same principle of plainer, the better. We have designed from scratch a new skin that you can see at our test board on this link http://w.bb

Albeit good in many senses it is lightweight, less bloated and so on. You can see that it is not yet finished and that readability also needs to be improved.

Perhaps even thought we try our best to achieve the intended result, we are not the most amazing web designers on earth and that might also be the reason why forums often resort onto pre-made skins that other people always find defects on them instead of building their own.

Still, rest assured that we are working on this matter.

#28 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

.....Albeit good in many senses it is lightweight, less bloated and so on. You can see that it is not yet finished and that readability also needs to be improved.

thank you for the link Nuno.

I completely understand that improvements which require many hours of work are likely to go to the bottom of the pile. That's just the way 'life' works.

I would point out that there are other factors -besides- the design of the 'skin', that can make a board either a JOY.....or PURE FRUSTRATION.....and that many of these other factors do not require ANY programming or work.

Here is an excellent example: simply prohibit pictures in signatures...period.

Yesterday, I saw someone boasting about having added useful links in their sig....in a PICTURE. :smart: :worship:

I could only ask myself....huh?...but WHY ???

WHY WHY WHY did this person feel that 100 bytes of (helpful, yes) links needed to be posted via a TEN THOUSAND byte picture ?? :smart: :worship: :worship:

And, I might add, a picture that must now be loaded again and again with EVERY PAGE where this person has posted. In other words, a sizable and NEEDLESS waste of precious limited bandwidth that from now on will happen to us again and again and again...

So...in thinking about this example, we discover another valuable factor as well....

Besides us holding the Admin responsible for creating a joyfully fast and clean board, the MEMBERS themselves are responsible for the state of their own forum as well!

Yes, we members must make the effort to consistently REMEMBER the issues (for example, piss-poor bandwidth for half the people on earth), and consistently be CONSIDERATE (i.e. THINK about each image about to be posted....is it -necessary-, or could the same info easily be given via text-paste, etc.)

And again the Admin Nuno can EASILY make an impact on page-load times, right now today, without ANY work....simply by saying: "from now on, NO PICs IN SIGS, period."

(yes, I know the board likely offers user-profile settings for shutting off sigs, avatars, and in-line graphics.....but it should be obvious to anyone using their head that if, instead of using discipline with their own sigs, they force half of all humanity to shut off ALL sigs, then 3 billion people lose ALL the helpful info in EVERY sig...such as quite valuable links to tutorials, downloads, notices of script updates, etc., etc..)

I'm pretty sure there must be several more 'little things' like the above, which will have a significant impact/improvement, while requiring no work on the Admin's part. They only need to be thought of.

In fact, here is another factor that I was just reminded of a few minutes ago while waiting in irritation for a bloated MSFN page to load...

Prune away OFF-SITE CALLS as much as possible.

(well, I guess this one might require -some- admin work....but not too much I think).

That msfn page was calling (among several other off-site servers) "ajax.googleapis" again and again and freaking AGAIN.

REALLY irritating.

And NEEDLESS.....which makes any delay TWICE as irritating. ;)

The -functionality- of a forum/bbs does NOT need endless script and ajax and flash and video and dozens of calls to google and other sites. All that crap is only 'needed' for those obsessed with 'slickness'.

But contrary to common belief, 'slick' is NOT the same as 'function' or 'value'.

I am sure the urban broadband-user is now saying... "what??....huh??....I never saw any such loads...and why would it matter anyway??"

Well, that very fortunate fat-pipe user never saw those loads because they went by so damn FAST. ;)

(lucky him!)

Whereas, on dialup (or even on so-called 'broadband' satellite).....EVERY extra off-site call like that takes MULTIPLE SECONDS.

think: 'LATENCY'....caused by multiple extra DNS lookups and calls and acknowledgements and transfers and...and....every one of which must go out AND come back before the next item of page-load can proceed. (no, 'pipelining' doesn't solve this...it doesn't work real well at 28kb/s...lol...the connections end up clogged with freaking useless -graphics- loads)

Now think such LATENCY multiplied by TEN....or by FIFTY (some forum pages out there are truly horrible)....call after call after call....to three, four, five, ten different off-site servers.

Another Example: One so often sees calls going to paypal.com...what??...I'm not buying anything!.....well, that NEEDLESS call wasted our life's hours only to load the stupid icon-graphic for the donation button! The page-coder apparently couldn't be bothered to copy the silly icon-file to the bbs's own server. (and do we even NEED an 'icon'??....wouldn't a click-here word do the job just fine?)

EVERY one of those calls adds another handful of seconds....so it doesn't take many of them before 'seconds' have become a FULL MINUTE just to load a single damn posts-page! :smart:

Many younger people cannot understand any of this. They've never even HAD a dialup connection! :frusty: To them I suggest: disable your network, plug in your phone line, and use the internet, cruise your favorite forums, by dialup ALONE for a week. Just one single week. Do it.

No no no!....do not cheat by turning on the DSL "just for a minute" because you're working on something 'important' one day during that week....discipline yourself to having only dialup for the 'important' things too, just like the three billion outside of cities must do.

ahh...NOW you understand the problem caused by thoughtless, clueless, or even blatantly uncaring webpage-coders, yes? :smart:

My impression is, and always has been, that Boot-land is noticeably 'quicker' than any other boot-related forum out there. Nice work. B)

I only mention this off-site-calls thing here so that it gets -remembered- by those in charge of coding pages here, during this big change of site and bb-software....because it's a factor that DOES affect the Joy-index of using a forum for many many people around the world.

Oh...another 'small' thing: ensure that all pages are coded to load the body-text FIRST, before any graphics, objects, or scripts. That way, one can begin reading right away...it's as if the page did load quickly. Also, one can hit Escape as soon as the text loads....thereby freeing up precious BW for the DL-mgr running in the background....or for right-clicking a link in the text and beginning another page-load in a new tab while continuing to read the body-text that just loaded...etc..etc..

These are the type of 'tricks' that 3 billion of us MUST use these days, to be able to use the now-greatly-bloated internet at all any more.

Ahh...another 'small' thing... :P ....try as much as possible to provide DIRECT download-links....links that can be right-clicked and added to FDM or other dl-manager. The horrible indirect 'sourceforge' type links force YET ANOTHER page-load....a NEEDLESS page-load...every single time one needs to download a 30kb script. They are SO frustrating and irritating and life's-hours eating.

thank you again Nuno for listening, and more importantly, for HEARING, information and suggestions from we members. :worship:

#29 Bhushan

Bhushan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

I am fail to upload my photo. no upload option only update tab !

#30 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

I am fail to upload my photo. no upload option only update tab !

After more 95 posts you should be able of uploading files.

#31 Bhushan

Bhushan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users