Photo
- - - - -

Cloning my WinXP from USB HDD to USB flash didn't work?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jur

jur
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

I have a USB HDD running win XP on it, after using the ngine.de tutorial. Today I added the dummydisk driver to it, and performance improved - I can now move between different ports.

So I copied the whole shebang while running from another OS (linux) from the USB HDD to a USB flash drive, that previously worked fine also booting into full XP, but has for reasons unknown stopped, giving me the BSOD. So I figured just copy everything across. It worked, kinda, no more BSOD, but now login fails - I get a message to the extent that the OS can't find the path to the account or something like that, and can't set up a temporary account either. It tries to log out, it fails and is stuck in this loop. I have to press power for 5s.

I have already searched high and low but am unable to find something as yet. I suppose cloning is not as simple as that... what else do I need to do?

Help please?

#2 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1440 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

but now login fails

First suspect: Userinit.exe not found. http://support.micro....com/kb/249321/

Which drive letter got your USB HDD at USB boot previously?
Map your MountedDevices: new USB flash has to get the same drive letter.
Adjust offline registry.
Compare, but adjust http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14955 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

So I copied the whole shebang while running from another OS (linux) ....

Please define "copied".

Did you use dd or what ? :)

:)
Wonko

#4 jur

jur
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Please define "copied".

Did you use dd or what ? :)

Wonko

I used rox-filer in linux to drag-n-drop; windows, Docs&Settings and Prog Files.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14955 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

I used rox-filer in linux to drag-n-drop; windows, Docs&Settings and Prog Files.

I am not familiar with rox-filer, but basically ANYTHING with drag-n-drop won't work.

You need to replicate the Disk Signature (and starting offset) OR remove the entry for system drive (I presume C:\ ) from the Registry's MountedDevices key.

See these seemingly unrelated threads:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19663
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=21682

Very basically Windows assigns drive letters on the base of Disk Signature (for a partitioned Device seen as "Fixed"), but since you are also most probably "shift" from a "fixed device" to a "removable" one, replicating the disk signature won't work as well. :)

Cannot say if there is anything running in Linux to edit the Registry. :)

The "solution" given in the MS KB cdob pointed you to is an alternative way but it's about removing the "absolute" reference to C:\ from an early starting file, this may allow to boot, but then a lot of apps that use the same kind of "harcoded paths" may (please read as "will") fail.

And you have anyway to edit the Registry, so if I were you I would first try blanking the contents of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices key, which is known method to "transfer" an XP:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=9154&st=7
though as said cannot say how it can be done from Linux. :)

Wonko

#6 ceehoppy

ceehoppy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Tinkering, DIY - home & cars age:38
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

As others have suggested, if you copied all apropriate system files to the UFD then you should try to change the registry drive assignments- with a twist.There are easier ways but this worked for me. I have found it (in some cases) helpful if XP "sees" the UFD as a fixed drive. So boot your system from the usb/hdd XP, then plug in the UFD. Apply the filter driver of choice (I like the tweaked Hitachi driver) & check the drive letter assigned by windows explorer (for example F: ).
Now open regedit (Start\Run\ type in "regedit"); go to HKLM\System\MountedDevices. Find the UFD drive letter(DosDevices\F: ) & note/write down the string of 2-digit numbers. Close regedit & shut down pc. Reboot in linux, from usb/hdd copy Windows\System32\config\system to ufd (replace "system" file on ufd with hdd version).
Reboot from usb/hdd again & open regedit. Click HKLM then on the File tab 9at the top of the screen) & Load Hive. browse to "system" file on UFD & open - name it something - I use "AAA". Now go to HKLM\AAA\MountedDevices. Rename C: drive to Z: -or just delete that key. Rename the UFD ( F: ) to C: make sure the string of numbers is the same as before.
Click AAA - File tab\Unload Hive. Close regedit & shutdown.
Now boot the UFD & everything should be good to go.
hope this helps

#7 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:53 AM

Apply the filter driver of choice (I like the tweaked Hitachi driver) & check the drive letter assigned by windows explorer (for example F: ).

I assume that you are asking to apply the driver to USB-HDD XP. Am I right?

If so, then don't we need to manually copy the driver to UFD XP too?

#8 ceehoppy

ceehoppy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

I am saying to apply the driver to the usb hdd FOR the ufd. You want (the usb hdd) XP to:
1)see the ufd as a fixed (hitachi) disk.
2) have the correct mass storage drivers associated with the ufd.
Then copy the registry files to to the ufd as well as edit that registry copy so that ufd is C: drive for its own XP.
You want to have a copy of the filter driver in the UFD system32 folder as well.
YMMV. terms & conditions apply. :)

Edited by ceehoppy, 25 November 2010 - 12:28 AM.

#9 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:35 AM

You want to have a copy of the filter driver in the UFD system32 folder as well.

That's what I was asking. But why did u ask to

note/write down the string of 2-digit numbers.

#10 ceehoppy

ceehoppy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

I've always made XP-ufd with filter in place during the build, so I ASSUME you need to have the driver present on your existing ufd build. I've never copied it after the fact.
When I alter the mounted devices entry in the ufd registry, I want to be sure that the correct device is assigned as C: (I'm a little OCD :) ) so I cross check the binary ID number as well as using the Windows drive letter.

#11 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:44 AM

...........so I ASSUME you need to have the driver present on your existing ufd build. I've never copied it after the fact.

Always keep in mind the red-lettered sentence in the following post.

Don’t assume people have the same knowledge as you. Imagine having to write instructions on how to make a cup of tea for someone who has never used, or even seen a kettle before, ‘boil kettle, add teabag, add milk’ simply wouldn’t work. You’d have to tell them how to plug the kettle in, to fill it with water first, where the switch was to turn it on, etc.

#12 ceehoppy

ceehoppy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:27 AM

I'll try to keep that in mind. It's just that I've never tried to "patch" a ufd build the way you are doing. So my "assumption" is really a guess based on my limited understanding of how things like the hitachi driver works. My normal build procedure is to perform all tweaks to a "host" XP pc operating system. So everything is already present in the os before copying it over to ufd. (That & it has been over a year since I did this last.)
Now, as I remember, I placed the Hitachi driver files in Windows\system32 folder so that they wouldn't get lost or deleted by accident.
I followed these tutorials :Full XP on..UFD & Fool Bios Booting..UFD

#13 ceehoppy

ceehoppy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

Something else to think about for this project. Many usb flash drives have pathetic random write speeds. That results in painfully slow xp operation. As in "click on a tab, go get a drink & a snack, come back & the next screen might be opened" :) . So either get a UFD that is FAST (I settled on a Kingspec usb ssd - OCZ also has some ufd that look good ); Or use a write filter, the [FULL XP on UFD] tutorial covers the Embedded Write Filter. It really improves system response, as all system "write" ops go to ram instead of the ufd, but that can (will) fill up ram (causing system freeze) & is incompatible with some software. A File Based Write Filter might work (all writes go to a file on the harddrive) but I haven't tried that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users