I'm releasing my fsredir driver which is File System Redirection based on SimRep WDK Example by Microsoft.
- Redirect open file to another drive
How it works:
Instead of storing file into wim image, we can simply use our pendrive/harddisk/etc to store file outside of the image while WinPE still thinking our file is in x: drive
- When computer boot/or new media storage device attached, fsredir will find fsredir.marker on each device root directory and load it when found. Lets say your fsredir.marker is located on E:\fsredir.marker
- The content of fsredir.marker represent the location of x:\ in your device. It can be blank or changed. Lets say your fsredir.marker contain this: \MyWinPe
- When for example, application tried to load x:\windows\system32\msvbvm60.dll but file is not there, fsredir will try to search msvbvm60.dll on your drive which contain fsredir.marker in E:\MyWinPe\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll. If your fsredir.marker has no content. It will search in E:\Windows\System32\msvbvm60.dll
- If fsredir found the file, it will redirect the request to open that file into new location.
- Your application load
Installations for WinPE 3.0
- Inserting the driver into wim image:
- Download the driver and Extract all the content into new folder
- Mount your wim image by using imagex or dism (eg imagex /mountrw PATH_TO_WIM 1 PATH_TO_MOUNT_DIR) Lets say PATH_TO_MOUNT_DIR is C:\WinPE\Mount\ (Tutorial can be found here or search using googles)
- Copy \file\fsredir.inf to C:\WinPE\Mount\Windows\inf
- Copy \file\fsredir.sys to C:\WinPE\Mount\Windows\system32\drivers
- Copy \file\fsredir.marker to your pendrive or other external drive (outside, not in folder or subfolder)
- Installing the driver
- Open regedit.exe as administrator
- Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and goto menu File\Load Hive
- Browse and open C:\WinPE\Mount\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM
- Name it as WINPE
- Double-click fsredir.reg
- Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WINPE and go to menu File\Unload Hive
- Close Registry editor.
- Modifying fsredir.marker and add files
- By default, fsredir.marker contain \fsredir, you can change this to other path that will be merged with x:\, make sure to include slash \ in front of the path
- Example to put files into system32 folder
- If your fsredir.marker contain a path (e.g. \fsredir)
- Create a new folder in pendrive and name it fsredir. Open the folder and make a new folder windows and open your windows folder and create a new folder again and name it system32 (?:\fsredir\windows\system32).
- Now you can start copying files into \fsredir\windows\system32\ folder
- If you want to put your files in other path, you can simply change the path in fsredir.marker
- Installing this driver in windows is easy.
- Copy fsredir.marker to appropriate location
- right-click fsredir.inf and choose Install.
Feedback and suggestion are welcomed:
8.3 compatible filename (like "fsredir.tag") - Wonko
EDIT by pscEX: actualized version and link as given by the author.