Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14778 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

Wonder if it's easier to get on USB :cheers:

It must be hard to live with Search functions not working :(....

.... http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=6843 :(

:smiling9:
Wonko

#3 Technotika

Technotika

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 419 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

Must be even harder without EYES :smiling9:

That refers to 3.3 not 3.4

title Trinity Rescue Kit 3.3 build 321

#extract /trk3 plus kernel.trk plus initrd.trk from iso! tell it your volume label in case of problems via vollabel=YOURLABEL

find --set-root /trk3/initrd.trk

kernel /trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1

initrd /trk3/initrd.trk

#note this also gives you some preconfigured linux based virus scanners (ClamAV, F-Prot, AVG Anti-Virus, BitDefender, avast)

So back to my original point, perhaps the new build could even be an ISO loader without the need for VOL name changes etc.

As in, EASIER? Who knows lets see.

(yes I did search and read that before) :(

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14778 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

That refers to 3.3 not 3.4

Sure. :(

Try it with the new version and report in:
http://www.boot-land...hp?showforum=71
(instead of posting in Websites something already known with no comments or with a wondering "maybe easier" reference with NO grounds at all).

:smiling9:
Wonko

#5 Technotika

Technotika

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 419 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

##BOOTING TRINITY RESCUE KIT 3.4 FROM USB USING GRB4DOS##

What's the big difference in this version........

Well those who delved deep into the capabilities of TRK 3.3 will know it is indeed an awesome & very powerful "all in one rescue utility". Virus Scans, password resets, data recovery, you name it, it's all there.... somewhere. And that my friends, leads me to the big change. Before, you needed to know the commands prior to running the program. And that's fine for the hardened command line tech, but really it's power was kind of hidden if it was required by the more casual user. Especially if your lazy (like me) and couldn't face reading the manual!

Now we have the "scrollable menu". Instead of dropping to a shell you now are presented with a nice long list of all the major things the kit is capable of. Brilliant. Just scroll to the option you want (-winclean or -password resets -virus scan all drives etc) and off you go.

You need this on your USB, and I'm not only going to tell you how to do it, but also provide a link to a "ready made" version you can just unzip to the root of you Key, add an update to your default menu.lst and away you go. I really wanted to boot just the ISO this time round but it's still needs certain data on the root so we are still using a flat file structure folks, it's no big deal though. Just and extra folder on the root. Feel free to update or improve as you see fit.

1. Firstly the ISO needs extracting to a Folder Called Trk3 eg C:\Trk3

This is the file/folder structure.......

Posted Image

2. Now "cut" and "paste" the Contents of Trk3 folder back into the root i.e C:\Trk3 and then delete the empty Trk3 folder. Your C:\Trk3 should now look like this....

Posted Image

3. The ISO untouched uses syslinux to boot, so the syslinux.cfg file needed converting to Grub 4 Dos. It is now Menu.lst.
It's bundled in the zip file of course but here it is anyway.

##IMPORTANT## if you have any trouble booting up make sure you give your USB a "label" e.g. BYTES. So in the code below
vollabel=<YOURUSB>
would need to be
vollable=BYTES for &#34;all&#34; instances of that piece of code in the menu.lst

I left the default Vollable name as TRK_3-3 in ready made zip package. So instead of editing all the entries in the menu.lst you could just name your USB , TRK_3-3 to save a bit of time.

splashimage /Trk3/bootlogo.xpm.gz

title Trinity Rescue Kit 3.4 &#40;default mode, with text menu&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB> timeout 100

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 In failsafe mode &#40;No menu, VGA, noacpi, noapic&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose acpi=off noapic pci=conf1 vga=1 vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk 

title TRK 3.4 Running from RAM &#40;best >= 512mb, 256mb min&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkinmem trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk 

title TRK 3.4 Run &#39;mclone&#39; in client mode &#40;!&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 mclone vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk 

title TRK 3.4 Simple VGA mode &#40;debugging of kernel output&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=1 pci=conf1 splash=off trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk 

title TRK 3.4 Virusscan all drives &#40;Clamav, non interactive&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 virusscan vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Try more pcmcia and usb nics &#40;when not detected&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 pcmcia trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Try more SCSI drivers &#40;when disks not detected&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 scsidrv trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 With a secure shell server enabled

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 sshd vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Execute local scripts on harddrive of PC

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 locscr vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 As bootserver to boot other TRK clients

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkbootnet trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Fileshare all drives as guest, no security

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 smbguest trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Single user mode &#40;no menu&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 runlevel 1 vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Acpi=off, noapic  PCI=^bios &#40;Alternate boot 1&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose acpi=off noapic pci=bios trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Acpi=off, noapic PCI=any &#40;Alternate boot 2&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose acpi=off noapic trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 PCI=conf2 &#40;Alternate boot 3&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf2 trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Verbose startup for debugging &#40;no menu&#41;

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 debugging vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk 

title TRK 3.4 SSH, boot- and guest fileserver, run from RAM

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 sshd trkinmem smbguest trkbootnet trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 Run from RAM, run mclone as client

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkinmem mclone vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 With proxyserver support enabled

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 proxy trkmenu vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title TRK 3.4 All devices set to read-only

kernel /Trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 allro vollabel=<YOURUSB>

initrd /Trk3/initrd.trk

title Memory tester&#58; Memtest86+ v1.65

kernel /Trk3/memtest.x86

4. Nearly done. Just copy the finished Trk3 folder to the root of your USB.

5. Add this to your default menu entry.

title TRINITY RESCUE KIT 3.4

configfile /Trk3/menu.lst

6. That's it, done.

7. And now for the quick way.
a:) Download This file
Trk34_USB_Ready.exe
b:) Exract to your USB root.
c:) Edit the paths in the \Trk3\Menu.lst in the new Trk3 folder to have the same vollabel as your USB...

So in the code below vollabel=<YOURUSB> would need to be vollable=BUCKET

or Your USB has no label so give your USB a label like TRK_3-3 so it matches the menu.lst by default.

d:) Add this to your default menu entry.
title TRINITY RESCUE KIT 3.4

configfile /Trk3/menu.lst

Done!

#6 tismon

tismon
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

First, I realize that this is old, but it's relevant and prevents me from starting yet another thread on the subject.

Although I'm really not sure why I couldn't get just the iso alone to work, it doesn't really matter. I did get it to work once copying the trk3 folder to the root, but it didn't make any sense to me to both add more to my root (was trying to avoid) and double the space used (iso and trk3 folder). So in the end, your method works very well. Thank you for the guide and making it easy. After all of my frustrations and failed attempts, it's nice when you don't have to think much for once. ;)

If anyone knows all the paths that need to be changed to be able to move the trk3 folder to another sub-folder, please let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users