9 replies to this topic

#1 zuluziller

zuluziller
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

I’m creating VistaPE and my build completes successfully without any errors, however when I try to run MacAfee from it every time I get this error message, screenshot attached.
Screenshot

#2 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:00 AM

Hi zuluziller,

your problem is that the GUI wrapper starts VirusScan and expects to get a log file when that program completes. For whatever reason no file is created. To find out what the problem is try not to use the GUI wrapper to start VirusScan but start scan.exe on the command line directly. This will give you an error message.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#3 zuluziller

zuluziller
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

When I go to command prompt and execute scan.exe nothing happens it simply returns back to command prompt.

#4 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to specify at least one parameter with a target to scan, e.g.
scan x:
should scan your system drive.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#5 zuluziller

zuluziller
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

the same thing nothing when executing scan b: for example

#6 zuluziller

zuluziller
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:43 AM

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this and I though there was something wrong on the PC that I was trying to build VistaPE. So I create new XP installation in VMware, no additional software was installed. I did not add any additional scripts to VistaPE except those that came with it. Build was successful but the same problem with MacAfee, the same error when running MacAfee GUI however when I run it at command prompt this time I get this exact error:

The system cannot find the file D:\Programs\Mcaffe\scan.exe.

This is funny though as when I do DIR to display directory content scan.exe is there, it is small though only 5 bytes. I can execute scangui.exe at the same prompt no problem but it fails.

#7 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Scan.exe version 5.30.0 is 213.047 bytes of size and version 6.0.1 is 847.872 bytes of size. So it looks like your file source is corrupt and you need to reload it. A trial version can be downloaded from McAfee's website (needs registration).

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#8 zuluziller

zuluziller
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

I downloaded command line from MacAfee and I tested it before creating new VistaPE and it worked however after build completed it did not work anymore. Subsequently I discovered that during build creation MacAfee virus definitions are updated, sdat file, in sdat file there is scan.exe (this file is 5 bytes and will not work when I try to run it) file that replaces original scan.exe. If I try to keep original scan.exe but just keep updated virus definition I will get error when trying to run it from VistaPe:

This program has been altered. Please replace it with good copy

#9 zuluziller

zuluziller
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:03 AM

I think I know what the problems is, MacAfee command line scanner ver 5 that I have is no longer supported by sdat files, I need to get ver 6.x.

#10 fuwi

fuwi

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 135 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

just for information:

Mcafee not working both GUI and cmd line:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23818

perhaps someone can make a script for VistaPE based on