Photo
- - - - -

PEnetwork holding me back from the best liveXP ever!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Technotika

Technotika

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 419 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

Hi Finally decided on my flavour of LiveXP.

All you need to know is this is the best way to use PE!! The following section is mainly technical stuff on how to setup your own portable applications - skip it for now! I've done all the work for you, just go to the downloads section below and grab the build and packages you need to get going! Start with the lx78sp6cbw build and the ppApps_Base!. Remember to use an XP SP2 source, whenever possible, for best results. If you like it (you will), there's more here. If you have a USB drive to put your ppApps on, great, this is the best for speed and portability but any writable drive will do; put them on your hard drive for now, just to see how this all works, remember, they're portable! smiling9.gif

I was very greedy and got ALL the portables and it works perfect. Apart from networking.

I am literally doing the basic build literally installing, pressing the blue triangle, and away we go.

However the networking never seems to work and I have managed before but not sure how I did it.

What settings do I need to change to make the penetworking start up so I can get internet?
It never finds my LAN, so could be driver issue. With this build perhaps dropping a "drivers" folder on the root with a selection of nic drivers might help (given the auto import options etc)

Cant wait to get this up and running, its incredible!

Many thanks -

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hi Technotika,

basic method is, adding your pc(s) ethernet driver(s) to the build,

How to add drivers to LiveXP:
***Method1 - Using Ethernet Drivers you already have:
in penetwork settings with some 'intelligence' , there is "add drivers from this directory" section, where you can add your (or a set of) ethernet drivers.
Just click "explore" button on the screen (Follow Red arrows on picture), this will open windows explorer in the specified folder, put your driver in this folder.
Posted Image

:dubbio:

#3 Technotika

Technotika

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 419 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

Excellent I 'll give this a shot tonight! Will use a driver pack !!!! :dubbio:

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

Excellent I 'll give this a shot tonight! Will use a driver pack !!!! :dubbio:

Yes and if this doesn't work, please try the Dipe script here and let us know results :cheers:

#5 Technotika

Technotika

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 419 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hi

I added the script as mentioned and pointed the folder to WLAN & LAN (zps), however when it booted up

"an error occured while starting the TCP/IP protocol driver service (2)
program will now exit"

let me know if you need more info, bet I did something goofy? :dubbio:

edit - you know just to check that I started again, made just a nice wallpaper setting, dropped the script in (actually replaced the older version), pointed include build folder to my wlan and lan zips from driver packs.net, and retrying, I like trying to select too many things some times, so much good stuuf LOL

#6 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hard to say, you're talking about PENetwork I guess, try Dipe to see if better or same :cheers:

:cheers:

#7 Technotika

Technotika

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 419 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

Just put the latest penetwork in then pointed that to the drivers, worked this time.

in penetwork settings with some 'intelligence' , there is "add drivers from this directory" section, where you can add your (or a set of) ethernet drivers.
Just click "explore" button on the screen (Follow Red arrows on picture), this will open windows explorer in the specified folder, put your driver in this folder.

http://holger.winbuilder.net/

Mission complete. :cheers: Thanks guys!

#8 petcomp

petcomp

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

Just put the latest penetwork in then pointed that to the drivers, worked this time.

http://holger.winbuilder.net/

Mission complete. :cheers: Thanks guys!

No way hosay! This does not work! I have tried this already twice and it has never picked up my drivers. Yes I am back and did try again.

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

The above given methode should work for everyone.
Given that the driver files were extracted to a folder and do not exist as a setup file. (*.inf,*.sys,*.dll)
Make sure you have the right drivers, for the right Windows version.

If all fails, check the PENetwork log to see, what exactly went wrong.

#10 petcomp

petcomp

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

The above given methode should work for everyone.
Given that the driver files were extracted to a folder and do not exist as a setup file. (*.inf,*.sys,*.dll)
Make sure you have the right drivers, for the right Windows version.

If all fails, check the PENetwork log to see, what exactly went wrong.

If I download the drivers directly from manufacturer's website & not from driverpacks.net it works. But now I got another problem with penetwork. On bootup it wants to force me to choose either static or dynamic ip. If let it just do it's thing, I can't change the ip later to either dynamic or static. I checked the device manager and the nic has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Windows tells me that the device settings have changed and that because another instance of the driver is already in memory, windows needs to be restarted.

A similar limitation of setting ip does also exist in ubcd4win, however, penetwork does not force you to choose ip straight off. This is a real problem as well as that of not being able to add driverpacks.net drivers easily to winbuilder. Somebody really really needs to do some serious work on fixing these issues, or show us the steps, 1,2,3 etc, on how we can add driverpacks.net to winbuilder, and prevent penetwork from doing it's own thing and then preventing another ip change. The strange thing is in virtual box you can change the ip us much as you wan't, but not with a real nic driver. It' looks like anytime you wan't to change ip, penetwork wants to load another instance of the same driver, it cannot communicate with the existing driver.

Possibly it has to do with the way drivers are loaded, if you don't create a driver script but use penetwork to load drivers, then you can only set the ip once per pe session. Anything else requires a reboot! Also you can only use mynic in an xp os....another issue as xp will probably be phased out and it could be quite difficult to find drivers for livexp especially considering that you cannot add drivers from driverpacks.net Slipstreamed xp install discs that include drivers are not allowed by winbuilder either...not even a technet xp cd....

Hopefully all these issues will be addressed in future versions of winbuilder and livecd.....

#11 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

This is a real problem as well as that of not being able to add driverpacks.net drivers easily to winbuilder.

I use this script http://www.mediafire...vImpe_AE71a.rar to add driverpacks easily. They can be included in image and/or supplied to PE on boot.

#12 petcomp

petcomp

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Thank you amalux. I can confirm this works using the current version I, using manual import. Unfortunately though I still have the ip reset issues with penetwork. It still does not want to allow me to change the ip wants it has been set, be it static or dynamic. Is there maybe a newer version of the penetwork script. Can one maybe use the bartpe network plugin?. I noticed there was a commandline network command called startnet, could I maybe use that instead? The problem is that after a driver import, when I start penetwork, it only gives me a choice between a dynamic or static profile, I cannot specify my own settings. Now, if I just cancel this dialog & start penetwork again, I do indeed get to the dialog where I can set a manual ip address, but as soon as I set an ip & startup penetwork again to confirm the change, the network card name is blank. If do ipconfig /all I do not get any ip info. Also a yellow exclamation mark appears next the the nic requiring me to reboot.

I'll try the script you spoke about, see if it helps.....

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

Blaming the penetwork script for your troubles, when it is used successfully by everyone else for years, seems to me the wrong way to solve your problem.

Right way to solve a problem:
- build works for everybody else
- but not for me
--> there is something different in my build, than in everybody elses

- what is different in my build?
- did i use the project on first run with standard configuration or did i mess with settings?
- when it works for me in some cases and others not --> what is the difference?

Always follow the resoning, that in 90% of cases, the bug sits in front of the screen! ;)

• pscEx likes this

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

Blaming the penetwork script for your troubles, when it is used successfully by everyone else for years, seems to me the wrong way to solve your problem.
Always follow the resoning, that in 90% of cases, the bug sits in front of the screen! ;)

In 91% of cases, I agree. But as several times in the past, some :wodoo: occurs, which only can be solved by team-work.

Peter

#15 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Corollary:

IF the bug sits in front of the screen he/she will fail to post a log as advised.

BTW NOT the fault of "the bug" ;) since the advice is given here:
http://reboot.pro/forum/33/
http://reboot.pro/431/
http://reboot.pro/2420/
A hardly noticeable sub-forum, and more "general" than the specific LiveXP, VistaPE, etc. ones. :(

Wonko

#16 petcomp

petcomp

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hi Amalux. I can confirm that I still have the problem with penetcfg even after doing an autoimport. I still have to click on the auto import icon on the desktop and point to the appropriate folder to pickup the drivers. It any light on this strange behaviour with penetcfg could be discovered it would be appreciated...thanks.

#17 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

If you supply the driver(packs) for load at startup (either inside the image via script option: 'include drivers in build...' or outside the image at 'drivers' folder); the driver(s) will be installed prior to penetwork startup. This should avoid your issue altogether, no?

#18 petcomp

petcomp

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

If you supply the driver(packs) for load at startup (either inside the image via script option: 'include drivers in build...' or outside the image at 'drivers' folder); the driver(s) will be installed prior to penetwork startup. This should avoid your issue altogether, no?

I already tried this by disabling automatic startup of penetwork. The only time I can seem to reset an ip is when I run the iso in virtualbox. Only thing I can think of is that virtualbox driver is defined in the network drivers list in the build. Any extra network drivers only get added after livecd has started up. I am not sure if this is what is making the difference....

Edited by petcomp, 12 October 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#19 petcomp

petcomp

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

I already tried this by disabling automatic startup of penetwork. The only time I can seem to reset an ip is when I run the iso in virtualbox. Only thing I can think of is that virtualbox driver is defined in the network drivers list in the build. Any extra network drivers only get added after livecd has started up. I am not sure if this is what is making the difference....

I just discovered that I can run winbuilder in livexp itself. This means I can run mynic script even on a machine that has a version on windows other than xp. I have had the misfortune of dealing with a server that is still a p3 with windows 2000 server, only 500mb ram, and no USB. Yep, only way to do backups is via the network...so being able to get a script for nic of this machine in livexp would help a lot....I am hoping that by providing a script for my own server, a hp microserver, it would address my problem as the drivers would be part of livecd build. Is there a standalone version of mynic like a .exe, or could it just be another script you could include a build of live xp. I know it is script already, but it is only defined as an outside the build tool at the moment....

Let me see if this solves my ip reset problem in penetwork.............

#20 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

When the PE first starts up, before shell (taskbar, shortcut icons etc.) is loaded; do you see dipe's progress bar displayed? Do you see your (nic) drivers load? Successful or fail? You can also look in Temp directory for dipe log.

If your drivers install correctly, your NIC will be installed and available for penetwork when it runs, no need to delay/disable startup.

Standalone MyNIC: http://reboot.pro/2968/

MyNIC PE script: http://www.mediafire...7uz5z2s2ykawjw4

#21 petcomp

petcomp

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

Hi Amalux. I think I've got a driver issue in livexp with the microserver. I just tried successfully to reset the ip in livexp which was running in my laptop. This was with a predefined nic script for my laptop. On the microserver, even with a predefined nic script I had the same problem of not being able to reset my ip. I only get one chance on the microserver to change my ip, after that, a reboot is required. So this would indicate that there is a driver issue with the nic in livexp on the microserver. In this case, the only workaround is to create a profile for the ip that I want on the microserver, & choose that from the profile selection list.

If you have access to a hp microserver, you could try & replicate it on your side. Thanks for the links will check them out.

Edited by petcomp, 13 October 2011 - 07:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users