Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Clone your System to a USB portable HDD and work with it Virtually from any other PC

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

A new FREE powerful virtualization application from Paragon Technologies GmbH called Paragon Go Virtual v.1.0 that is designed to allow you to make a virtual clone of your system, and export that clone image into any of the three major virtual formats of ( Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 or/VM Ware or/Virtual Box). You can save the resulting clone file to a portable USB HDD, then take that system image to any other pc and work with it using any of the above virtual machine vendors. It's exactly like [Put your PC in your pocket and use it anywhere, anytime! Create a virtual clone of your PC, including operating system, drivers and settings, all your applications and files. Save it to a USB hard drive and use it on another computer, just as if you're working from your own PC].
Usage Scenarios
Official Download.
How to make your system MOBILE-offilcial PDF file

Supported Operating Systems
Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
Windows XP (32/64-bit)
Windows 2000 Professional

System Requirements
Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher
Intel Pentium CPU or its equivalent, with 300 MHz processor clock speed
128 MB of RAM (256+ recommended)
Hard disk drive with 100 MB of available space
SVGA video adapter and monitor
Mouse

Additional Requirements
Supported virtualization software to run a virtual machine
Network card to send/retrieve data to/from a network computer
Recordable CD/DVD/BR drive to burn data to compact discs
External USB hard drive to store data

Supported Virtual Machines
Paragon Go Virtual™ provides support for these major virtual machine vendors:

Microsoft Virtual PC
VMware Workstation
VMware Fusion
VMware Player
Oracle VirtualBox

User Manual
================================================================
Check Your PC From Viruses Free HERE
Stay Safe Online

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

================================================================
My Other Topics & Tutorials HERE

#2 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Interesting. To complete the loop and get maximum portability, we need to have either:
- portable VMware
- portable Virtual PC
- portable VirtualBox
in order to run transparently the saved virtual hard disk image.

I do not see portable VMware yet, but portable VirtualBox and portable Virtual PC seem to exist already.

#3 Zug

Zug

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

Is portable virtualbox the recommended VM software? I noticed the "how to" is using VMware, but if it is not portable, can it still be used if going to put this on your portable drive?

From reading the how too, looks like you would need to copy the VMware install file to the USB drive and install it on the host systems you wish to run it on.. if you use the portable virtualbox, would you not need to install it on the host system, or would you still need to?

Zug

#4 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

Zug
If it works with portable virtual box, then there is no need to install on host pc, thats the concept of portable apps, so give it a try and see if it works, and if it doesn't then you have to install the virtual application on the host pc so to work with that clone image.

#5 Zug

Zug

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

THanks Jamal,

Soon as I can get that HDD here and get a way to DL those larger files needed to do it, gonna set it up and try it out.. got some friends that need some help on their PC and some apps I have so will try and see if that works.

Btw, didn't notice it in any of the help files on the program, but if I made the virtual copy and put it on one of my partitiions till my drive got here, can i just cut/paste it over to the new drive when here? or will i need to re run the program and put it directly on to that? i would see no issue just moving it, just not sure if it is linked to any other reg files or anything like that, that would cause an issue...

Zug

#6 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

if I made the virtual copy and put it on one of my partitions till my drive got here, can i just cut/paste it over to the new drive when here? or will i need to re run the program and put it directly on to that? i would see no issue just moving it, just not sure if it is linked to any other reg files or anything like that, that would cause an issue...
Zug

Zug, yes you can move the image later,nothing is in reg files.

#7 Bukvod

Bukvod

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 123 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

I tried this with Portable Virtual box and it works great. I could run it and it seemed full functional with the exception that none of the hosts I/O ports are available. I could not tie into my home network , use USB port, see or use the host HDD...etc. Is there a way to run a Virtual machine but still use the host hardware?

#8 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

Bukvod , you have to install the virtual machine additions so to get all hardware attached. and yes this is a great tool.thanks.

#9 agni

agni

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 270 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

How can the minimum system requirements be only 128MB of RAM?

To run virtual machines smoothly you need atleast 1GB of RAM.

I doubt if you can really work with it virtually from any system.What if the target system has low RAM?
I feel it is portable only on systems which have sufficient RAM.

#10 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:46 AM

How can the minimum system requirements be only 128MB of RAM?

To run virtual machines smoothly you need atleast 1GB of RAM.

I doubt if you can really work with it virtually from any system.What if the target system has low RAM?
I feel it is portable only on systems which have sufficient RAM.

yes agni, the program needs only 128-256 mb ram to run and 300 mhz CPU speed, and 100 MB only of disk space, that's all is needed to install and run the GO VIRTUAL and work with it, but if you want to run the virtual image you made with the program, then of course you will need a 1 GB to run a virtual image smoothly, thank you. :D

#11 Aye Htay

Aye Htay

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts
  •  
    Myanmar

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

Hi,

I prefer using Paragon Visual Manager 9.5 personal. More features are included. See in web for more detail.
http://www.paragon-s...m-professional/
You can get it free from web. Go and register in above web and you'll get the software code free of charge soon.
I've made it portable and can use it from any pc.
Also I've used portable VirtualBox and did very well. See pic.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For me, I've used 5 gb of hdd spcaces included MS Mediaplayer, IE8, some software and MS Office 2010 plus.
See how much ram are used and cpu usage in pic.
Used 570mb of Virtualbox ram.
Not added shared folder, usb and excluded NIC and audio drivers so all are not working in Pic.
Now you can bring all your pc along with you.

ah

#12 _deXter_

_deXter_

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:04 AM

Zug
If it works with portable virtual box, then there is no need to install on host pc, thats the concept of portable apps, so give it a try and see if it works, and if it doesn't then you have to install the virtual application on the host pc so to work with that clone image.

But the concept of portable apps also involves running applications on computers without admin rights. AFAIK, Portable VirtualBox isn't really portable - you need admin rights so that the kernel/network drivers can be installed. If that's the case, then one could rather just use the regular VirtualBox which is more stable / updated more often.

If you want a true portable virtualisation solution, try QEMU - you can run it without any installation and on limited user accounts. (Of course, the downside to that is that the performance is much more slower).

I'm not sure though if Paragon supports QEMU..

#13 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

1-Thank you for sharing your experience.
2-Yes the Paragon Virtualization Manager 9.5 personal has one more option than GO LIVE ! but it is now old and the link you provided leads to the new non-free 2010 version.
3- There is no official download link to it, but can download it from HERE, and install it and order a free key after registration.
4-If you can provide us with the portable version link so we can download and use, that would be grate.
5-once again, thank you very much :dubbio:

#14 Aye Htay

Aye Htay

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts
  •  
    Myanmar

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

1-Thank you for sharing your experience.
2-Yes the Paragon Virtualization Manager 9.5 professional has one more option than GO LIVE ! but it is now old and the link you provided leads to the new non-free 2010 version.
3- There is no official download link to it, but can download it from HERE, and install it and order a free key after registration.
4-If you can provide us with the portable version link so we can download and use, we would be gratefull.
5-once again, thank you very much :dubbio:

I am sure it is not illegal to make a portable version with own software codes.
The simplest way is that you must search prgiso.dll in system32 folder and put in the program folder.
Job's done.
Just copy your program folder into your usb and start as portable version.
:hi:
I'm not interested running in other user PCs.
Just running in my PE build versions. See pics, just running in LiveXP wim version.
Posted Image Posted Image

Thats all my explaination.

Thanks.

ah

#15 Aye Htay

Aye Htay

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts
  •  
    Myanmar

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

Hi Jamal,

Sorry for missing a file for portable version.
You need to copy qtp-mt334.dll to your program folder as well.

What is more options in PV Manager 9.5.
In normal mode:
1. Ajust OS = Make an OS bootable on different hardware.
2. P2V Restore = Translate a separate partition or an entire hard disk from a backup image to a virtual disk

In Full Scale Launcher mode:
All Paragon Harddisk Manager features are included.
See the pic:
Posted Image Posted Image

Welcome any further questions here, pleaes.
p-s: you may be install kernel driver into others user pc, (just install inf file in driver folder. and ignore any poppu). or just copy .sys file into sys32\drivers folder.

ah

#16 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thank you Aye Htay for sharing, appreciate that :dubbio:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users