#1 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Inspired by wimb's make_pe3, I have made a tool to add Seagate DiscWizard to an already prepared PE3 wim file.

Addsgtti has two components, getsgt and updsgt. getsgt is for collecting the files/registry entries from an existing Windows 7 installation of Seagate DiscWizard and updsgt is to update the wim file. Updsgt creates a new wim file with an 'sgt' prefix in the tool directory.

The idea is that this can be used to update any PE3 wim - though I have tested it only with make_pe3 wim.

Instead of assuming anything about where/how the shortcuts are created, I am just creating them under the root of the wim within the SeagateShortcuts folder. The user can use them suitably.

Extract the zip and run the tools from the addsgtti directory.

Script Usage:

getsgt windows-source-partition (can be either live or sleeping) - Eg. getsgt c:

Run getsgt to collect the files from a Windows 7 installation of Seagate DiscWizard, which can be downloaded from
http://www.seagate.c...oads/discwizard

updsgt source-wim [(/full)|(/slim)] - Eg. updsgt d:\sources\boot.wim /slim or updsgt e:\sources\boot.wim

source-wim is the source wim to which the Seagate installation will be added
optional /full is for full functionality
optional /slim is for full functionality minus archive explorer
default is /slim minus (mediabuilder, application backup, rescue)

The script creates the updated wim as sgt + source wim name - Eg. boot.wim will be copied as sgtboot.wim
and updated with Seagate DiscWizard

The expectation is that source wim can be created using any PE3 project (as long as the system directory is X:).

Remember to use the shortcuts from X:\SeagateShortcuts, as suitable for your project.

As the idea of this tool is not to replace the many existing wonderful projects, but just help in adding Seagate Discwizard,
creation of the iso, booting, etc. are assumed to be taken care of by the user.

Feedback appreciated.

Script Limitations:

- Works with and has been tested only for x86
- Assumes the final PE3 partition letter to be X:
- Shortcuts are created in X:\SeagateShortcuts ; user needs to adjust the shortcut depending on the PE3 project being used
- dism is expected to be in the path and working properly (version 6.1.7600.16385)
- Assumes the index number of the image to be updated in the wim to be 1
- Doesn't work with 64 bit OS yet (needs some minor changes)
- Be wary of using with pre-Vista/non-Windows OSes ; see http://www.multiboot....uk/quirks.html
- Dism files 'inside the wim being updated' must be version 6.1.7600 or later. (earlier versions may give errors)

Note regarding the shortcuts: DiscWizard is to run DiscWizard. JAM is to run DiscWizard to restore your backup to a non Seagate/Maxtor disk on failure of the Seagate/Maxtor disk. SetPageFile is to create a 500MB pagefile in c:\pagefile.sys using wpeutil (currently hardcoded) - this is added just for convenience when dealing with a machine with low memory.

Test Results

Success
Make_PE3 (wimb)
WinRE.wim based DOS script (tsetya)
Win7PE_SE (JFX and Boot-Land community)

Failure
W7PEX (Amalux and Boot-Land community) - reasons not clear

While this modular approach may not be very efficient, it would help in mixing and matching stuff from different people.

Hope this is useful. If there is any feedback of success/failure, I will keep this list updated for any future users.

Version 1.1 - Bugfix and minor changes (See post #6 thanks to ChrisR)
Version 1.2 of updsgt - Removed dependency on imagex
Version 1.2 of getsgt - Added support for readonly sleeping Windows 7 partition - like a readonly mounted backup image of Windows 7 with Seagate installed

Download link: http://www.mediafire...bab49kfni0o90l6

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thanks oriensol,

The day I start using pe3, I will follow the method you introduce here. I hope this gives inspiration to others too :fine:.
B)

#3 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

Tested with wim created using tsetya's tool. Works fine.

As pointed out by wimb, dism files 'inside the wim' must be version 6.1.7600 (earlier versions give errors). So, doesn't work with the Amalux wim (W7PEX).

Also, updated the first post for limitations.

Would appreciate any feedback on success with other wims. Thanks.

#4 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:11 AM

Tested with Win7PE_SE.

Updating first post with all successful/unsuccessful attempts to add DiscWizard, by project.

Please provide feedback, if you use DiscWizard and are/are not able to add this to your project/personal PE3 wim. Thanks.

#5 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

Thanks oriensol,

What difference with Win7PE script for TrueImage Seagate / WD Editions. The result is the same for use with "Multi 7PE_SE" ?

:thumbup:

#6 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:15 AM

Oriensol,

a small error in the script, the files PE3-SOFTWARE_Temp_*. txt are deleted before being converted into reg. After correcting the source AU3, Getsgt.exe works for me with diskwizard in French.

If StringLeft(@WindowsDir, 2) = $w7drive Then
FileDelete("workdir\" & $ARCH & "\" & "PE3-SOFTWARE_Temp_*.txt")
RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c type " & '"' & "workdir\" & $ARCH & "\" & "PE3-SOFTWARE_Temp_*.txt" & '" 2>NUL > "' & "workdir\" & $ARCH & "\" & "PE3-SOFTWARE.reg" & '"', @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE)
ConvertRegFile("workdir\" & $ARCH & "\" & "PE3-SOFTWARE.reg")
FileDelete("workdir\" & $ARCH & "\" & "PE3-SOFTWARE_Temp_*.txt")
FileDelete("workdir\" & $ARCH & "\" & "PE3-SOFTWARE_Temp99.txt")
Else

#7 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

@ChrisR,

Thanks for finding the bug (I forgot to delete the line)!

As to the question about the the two scripts, both are the same but this method can be used whether you are using winbuilder or not (like with tsetya's or make_pe3).

Thanks again for the feedback. Will upload a new version when I get time in the next couple of days.

#8 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

New version uploaded (see first post) with bugfix and minor changes.

#9 cool400

cool400
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

@oriensol

With your kind agreement I've uploaded your ZIP-file - after I tried 2 days to download it from MediaFire and finally got a download-speed of 5kB/s - to Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.co...47/addsgtti.zip

I hope people will find this helpfull!

Best regards and keep on your good work

cool400 :(

#10 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

Minor change - removed dependency on imagex and replaced with usage of dism (similar to make_7pe).

See first post for latest version download link.

Now the tool can be used from within a running wimb's make_pe3 Winpe 3.0 to add the Seagate Discwizard to the boot.wim. Earlier the dependency on imagex was preventing this.

Hope this helps.

#11 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

Failure
W7PEX (Amalux and Boot-Land community) - reason is old version of dism used by project

Currently, in my builds is ver. 6.1.7600.16385; yours may be different since dism is pulled from source you select.

#12 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Uploaded a new version (see first post) to support running getsgt using a readonly sleeping Windows 7 partition.

Would be useful to run against a backup image mounted readonly - say a .tib file of Windows 7 with Seagate DiscWizard mounted using TrueImage/DiscWizard.

#13 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

Currently, in my builds is ver. 6.1.7600.16385; yours may be different since dism is pulled from source you select.

Hi amalux,

Does it work for you? I still get errors from dism during add driver.

Error seems to be something about 'unable to copy msxml6.dll from the client executable folder to dismhost.exe folder - Relying on in-box version'. Thanks.

I see msxml6.dll as well as many other dism files under the sources folder at the root of the PE3 drive in the PE3 builds that work, whereas W7PEX has just the 'recovery' subfolder. If I copy the files into the folder, I get errors like 'Failed to bind the offline servicing stack. Make sure that the Windows directory has been set. - CDISMOSServiceManager::get_ServicingStackDirectory(hr:0x80070003)' FYI.

EDIT: If someone is seeing this last post, the tool works fine with all other projects tested - just some idiosyncracy in case of W7PEX; so you may ignore this post, unless you want to use it with W7PEX.

#14 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hi oriensol :)

I think the problem is that you've setup your install routine for a wimb type build and can't understand why it doesn't work in mine :) . It doesn't work in mine because it's not a wimb build. Dism is working fine in my build
Attached File  dismw7pex3.png   159.71KB   14 downloads

and the 'missing' file you note is present in system32 as it should be for this build. With all due respect to wimb's great work (and it is great), his build (and others) didn't do what I needed them to do; namely, support ppAppsGenPE. I had to setup this build in an 'unusual' way to support importing portable applications, reg entries, shortcut creation on the fly etc. It does everything I need it to do include support programs that do what DiskWizard does without the additional space requirement or complication. There are plenty of W7 type PE's out there, W7PEX is offered as an alternative for those that prefer their programs added as portables. Hope that clears things up a bit ;)

:cheers:

#15 oriensol

oriensol

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 216 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:03 AM

Thanks Amalux. I fully understand. ;)

By the way, the Winbuilder script for DiscWizard works great! No issues there. http://www.boot-land...mp;#entry101823

Let me also clarify that I always used to 'run' this tool from within W7PEX till a couple of days ago (for which purpose there is no issue)! To clarify, you can successfully run the tool, which uses dism to update other project wims from within W7PEX. But W7PEX wim itself cannot be updated with DiscWizard because of the tool's approach of using 'Add Driver' for snapman.

The feedback I am/was providing is that if we start from W7PEX boot.wim and want to use 'Add Driver' using Dism (that is, not using winbuilder), for further additions, we get into trouble. That is all.

Someone more knowledgeable about Dism might be able to provide more useful feedback.

Thanks again for your great work! ;)

#16 papu

papu
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Oriensol for your nice project of diskwiz which can be found in Make_PE. As per ur instruction I have created sgtboot.wim but I am unable to make it bootable ISO. I have no idea. please help.

Thanks

Papu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users