xpt

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

Hi,

Is there a Dos based tool that can create floppy image file for drive A:?

Hope it can give me the exact floppy image file that is used for booting emulated floppy images off CD.

Thanks

#2 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

Maybe rawrite ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RaWrite

#3 wendy

wendy

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Operating systems, Weights and Measures, Geometry
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

I have not came across a lot of stuff that will create a disk image in A:, so i wrote one in rexx. (imgcopy.rex)

You can use extract from http://www.winimage.com to populate a diskette once made.

There are plenty of utilities that will convert a real diskette to floppy, and if one of these is used with a ram floppy disk, then one can make diskettes in memory, and use something like the freedos or drdos 'diskcopy', or savedskf (IBM EWS: look for loaddskf).

Because loaddskf and savedskf are DOS/OS2 bound apps, Windows NT loads them as an OS/2 app: unfortunately, OS/2 support was removed in Windows 5.1 and later, along with the essential utility 'forcedos'.

I use some proggie hight 'dskimage', there are MSFT and IBM versions of these around.

The best bet i suppose would be diskcopy from DR-DOS or freedos. These support both reading and writing disks.

If ye have a mob of disks to make into directories, there is always 'os2hdd'. This will extract diskettes into directories with the disk label, eg DISK1 to DISK1 &c. It simplifies translating diskette images into ready-to-install OS/2 directories, but it's a straight DOS app.

#4 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

For the case of a brand new image, would it be useful to write a garbage/empty disk image of the desired size, use GRUB4DOS to map it as a floppy or HDD, then use normal DOS utilities to partition, format, etc.? GRUB4DOS also has DD, so putting those together:
  • Boot CD
  • Run GRUB.EXE from another drive
  • Determine the floppy's size with geometry (fd0)
  • quit GRUB4DOS
  • Create a file of the appropriate size on the other drive
  • Run GRUB4DOS again
  • dd the (fd0) to the image file on the other drive
It just tested and it worked like a charm.

#5 xpt

xpt

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

Thanks ktp for the comprehensive url, and Sha0 for step by step instruction.

[*]Create a file of the appropriate size on the other drive
[*]Run GRUB4DOS again

Is this create-a-file step really necessary? What if the "appropriate size" is smaller than 1.44M? Can we avoid the whole "run GRUB4DOS again" step and do it in one-shot?

Thanks

#6 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

As far as I know, the image file size must match the size of the El Torito emulated image. help dd on my GRUB4DOS said that it could not change the size of the file. It is common (and safe) for pre-OS programs (like boot-loaders) to offer limited write support for filesystems, because their filesystem logic is often not as fully-fledged as an OS driver would be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users